1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

I do find damaged clothing on the floor at Value Village, St Vincent de Paul, and Goodwill occasionally, but when I hand such items to an employee, they whisk them away. In my area, there are very few small church- or hospital-/charity-run thrifts. Their prices tend to run high, which is why I don't go out of my way to shop them, but I've rarely found badly damaged items in them.

The Pacific Northwest doesn't have a big moth* problem, so I find very little moth damage. When I do, I tend to assume it came in when somebody moved.

* Or ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, fire ants, poisonous spiders, or scorpions, Fruit flies and meal moths, we got.

** Or poison oak/ivy/sumac, tornadoes, hurricanes, major droughts, etc. We do get earthquakes. Oh yeah. And rain.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  2. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Awesome stuff, man. Cross-replied from the vintage thread:

First three are all 1939-49, going by the union label. Unless any of them have a 1936 copyright on the label, which I doubt.

Gray 3B and tux are from the earlier part of that range, probably 39-43ish. Brown suit is a bit later, probably 45-49.

Crest blazer is late 50s-60s.

What's the size on the gray suit? I might be interested.

3. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Awesome information, as always! I still need to brush up on my union tags. The grey suit is a 36 R. 30 x 28

4. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Always so small. Good luck with 'em!

5. colorvision

colorvision Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I truly wish I had something worthy to trade for this, or that I might one day find something like it. Great. Finds.

6. Principle

Principle Senior member

cpmac, that zegna jacket is the truth.

7. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

I guess there really are Raider fans out there, well at least on Youtube :happy:
    Thanks Frenchy, its my size but I need the $$ more right now.
    Appreciate it, your day will come!
    Not my size but still had to KOP, thanks!

8. colorvision

What's the best way to view the gifts from last year's exchange? Sorry if I missed it, but is there a link to a post on this thread or a separate thread? @Beeare and I are having a sad-guys-without-100-posts unofficial exchange, and we could use some guidance.

9. double00

double00 Senior member

lol. i gotta admit, i get aroused when i hear the strings at the beginning of The Autumn Wind. Raiders are kicking ass at the moment. knock on wood (so to speak)

i've noticed these custom jackets come up on the thread from time to time. i consigned an Astor & Black suit made for Steph "Babyface Assassin" Curry with a very legit sports auction house a few weeks after he won league MVP and a ring. while it did fine and i'm not complaining at all, it showed me just how little headroom there is for things like this. plus a lot of these guys have inhuman measurements (Curry is about a 38L with surprisingly short arms btw), so the market can be kinda narrow. i would pass unless it was something remarkable, and even with the Curry thing i basically had to sell the shit out of it to my consignor.

10. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

11. Mr G from SD

Mr G from SD Senior member

That's cool you guys are having your own exchange. Great idea.

& There are tons of Raiders fans out there. Heck the Chargers/Raiders games here in San Diego are usually filled with more Raiders fans. I've been to a few of the games and the air actually smells worse than at other games. Not very kind of me to actually state that Raider fans smell bad, but hey, something causes that foul smell.

12. colorvision

@My Main Man , living up to that name! Those are some great gifts. Were the contents of the box from Spoo ever revealed?

13. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Two questions one of which I asked on a different thread and don't remember the answer. Sorry. I know all of SF is a great resource and I apologize in advance for saying so, but I don't like a lot of the other people on the other threads. [​IMG] That's probably an exaggeration, but I feel like this group is "my peeps" and understands where I am coming from when I have a question. [​IMG]

If need to ask these questions in a another thread, just tell me. Seriously.

Are these Polo Ralph Lauren shoes something special or not really. They are the Made in Italy version. I tried researching to figure out who made these and someone may have answered, but when I search the forum its super difficult to locate specific responses (maybe I'm searching wrong). They have the softest most buttery leather. They fit me and I like them. But, I don't wear them that often and I'm wondering if I should just sell them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I have a pair of Edward Green 202 last. I bought them from someone on AAAC for myself. They are just a little too narrow for me and squeeze my feet enough that they kind of fall asleep. Its hard to describe. They have had a replacment half sole previously. So, even if I could afford to send back to EG to be redone (which I can't), I'm not sure they would even do it. Here's my question, should I just send them to B. Nelson and spring for the JR soles with the hopes of selling them and making a little profit? Or just sell them like they are? Or if anyone wears a 12B they could be a good trade. I know EG have super high retail value and even used they bring pretty serious money. But, in this condition, is it worth it? They are actually really nice, they just need new soles (and a complete sole).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  14. TinderStick

TinderStick Active Member

Did you buy this for your butler?

15. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

Quote:
    When he opened the box, light quickly filled the room and he was transported to the alternate thrift universe where Spoo pulls his goods. We never heard from him again.