1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Did I say or imply any of this? I don't even remember mentioning thrifting. Your desire to come at me at any opportunity is a bit weird at this point. Read or don't, block or don't, just do something and move on.

2. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Well that's good then, then just drop it at a good cleaners and see what they can do and worse comes to worse its the same and it doesn't matter. I'd try and get it cleaned up though. But yea, definitely something you gotta keep in the back of you mind, especially with nicer things you find. Paying premiums for labels and not checking the item because your stoked on finding it in the first place, just to get it home and find out it's fucked is a shitty feeling, I learned that one the hard way, a few times..

1 person likes this.
  3. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Youre one of those people that loves to hear the sound of your own voice.every time you "school" somebody it comes across that you know everything which 99% of your posts.
    What was weird was that little meltdown you had awhile back.
    Anyway,I got better things to do Im sure you do too.

4. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Meltdown? Explain... Also, when I offer suggestions or help, I'm not trying to "school" anyone, I'm trying to help them out cuz I've either been in their shoes or are familiar with the situation. I don't talk out of my ass nor do I ever come at someone in any manner that is malicious or with malcontent. If they don't agree or don't want to listen, that's fine, it's their choice. Unlike yourself, a grown ass man in case you forgot, I have never and don't ever come at people with negative intentions. Not the type of person I am. I know what type of person you are though, someone over 40 who still feels the need to talk shit on the internet. Also, obsessively try and put another person down at any opportunity they can. Again, this is just weird.

5. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Just grow up and block me and move on. Be an adult about something and take control of the situation. You don't like what I say, don't read it.

6. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Sweetheart Im 40 but i can run blocks around you in anything.
    Better.faster.stronger.
    When did I put anybody down except when I call bullshit on half your hauls which we both know arent from thriftstores but consgnment shops/craigslist/connections etc.
    Sometimes I will mention that i left something behind sure,thats a cue for that person to examine it closer because theres a reason I did.but youre too selfabsorbed to get it.

1 person likes this.
  7. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Senior member

Finally got around to taking pictures of my humble finds from yesterday...enjoy :)

Polo RL 2 x chinos and one casual shirt. Pretty standard but nice fare. All available.
    [​IMG]

Next, some rather nice Nudie Jeans. I scored a pale grey pair too but they are drying after removing a small stain. Available.
    [​IMG]

Found this awesome Aigle reversible coat in black/grey. My size but my wife doesn't like it on me so it's available.
    [​IMG]

A rather lovely William Hunt Savile Row grey merino with textured torso. Made in Italy. XS guys get at me.
    [​IMG]

Charcoal Canali Cash/Merino V Neck. NA. Lovely quality.
    [​IMG]

Hugo Boss brown fine merino collared jumper. Made in Italy.
    [​IMG]

Found this awesome Bergamot Brass Works buckle. Is this a Hells Angels thing? Made in USA. Oh, and a boring and narrow Hugo Boss tie but it was too cheap to pass on.
    [​IMG]

Also picked up loads of stuff for my baby daughter which keeps my thrifting interesting (after a while it's nice to wander over to the toys/kids stuff). This is too cute:
    [​IMG]

Also picked up:
    Organic cotton Howies and Bonobos BD shirts for me.
    Hackett wool/mohair navy orphan jacket 40R (too cheap to leave). Available.
    Church's Custom grade Brogues UK 7 Narrow (so gutted they are too small for me)

Keep thrifting the good thrift fellas :slayer:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

Pretty sweet Ludlow suit in "MY SIZE" finally. Even got the hanger then got it home and the tags were in the pocket seems he only wore it once for something. Nothing super but for one store not terrible. I'm surprised what j crew is getting on the Ludlow suit didn't know retail was that high for them but seems like a good suit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then a nice green wool Filson in "My SIZE" and some pink vines pants.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. the2ndhandman

@thebuddahman

I thrift the hell out of the kids clothes. I get allot of good stuff IE: burberry,Janie and Jack and lots of others. I just grab the stuff the kids outgrown as some is destroyed from kids being kids but there is lots of great kids stuff.

10. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Yesterday, had an armful of meh, got to the checkout line, gave up and put it all back. Felt good about it. Next stop hit these:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lu
    [​IMG]
    ff linen
    [​IMG]
    Wouldn't normally pick up Britches, but amazing wool/cashmere FFs dirt cheap.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some other stuff from the week I didn't get around to posting:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26 people like this.
  11. thebuddahman

To flip, or for your kids? :) I love flicking through the kids racks, like you say there's a lot of new/worn once stuff that gets donated.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Did you guys see the vintage kids clothes I posted this morning? Probably from the 40s or 50s, found at an antique mall. Fits my daughter perfectly. Too damn cool.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

haha, yeah but my sign addiction goes further back than that show if thats what you mean.

I was going to ask you haha. I don't know. Deadstock, not sure of the age. Probably 60s I would guess. The non-Lee one is called "Dakota Five Brother" if that means anything. All of them are hard and stiff as hell #thatswhatshesaid . You think it could be a thing?

1 person likes this.
  14. the2ndhandman

just for personal stuff. Saves allot of money for stuff that they can trash and only spent two bucks instead of thirty. I've sold some stuff but not for much. Like you said there is some good stuff out there for how fast they outgrow or trash it. There is allot of kids consignment shops and they buy the stuff for cash like a buffalo so there may be an untapped market there you could explore for how cheap it is at the thrift shop.

15. thebuddahman

*realises he missed them amongst all the other awesome*

They are awesome finds Spoo. It's so satisfying to find good quality stuff for your family.

16. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by the2ndhandman [​IMG]

@thebuddahman

I thrift the hell out of the kids clothes. I get allot of good stuff IE: burberry,Janie and Jack and lots of others. I just grab the stuff the kids outgrown as some is destroyed from kids being kids but there is lots of great kids stuff.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebuddahman [​IMG]

To flip, or for your kids? [​IMG] I love flicking through the kids racks, like you say there's a lot of new/worn once stuff that gets donated.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpooPoker [​IMG]

Did you guys see the vintage kids clothes I posted this morning? Probably from the 40s or 50s, found at an antique mall. Fits my daughter perfectly. Too damn cool.

Dang, I was just going to post about this same thing. I forgot about those expensive things from when my kids were young. I went through that section for the first time yesterday and pulled out three nice things for sub $3. All that stuff will probably ship 1st class plus I can see 4 pictures tops, front/back, and tags. I see people just collect them and sell them in lots by size as well. Nice!

17. suited

suited Senior member

Outlet stuff for me.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  18. the2ndhandman

@texaswoodworker

Those arc's are sweet good find.

1 person likes this.
  19. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Not much today. Couple good finds, plus a pristine vintage Brooks glen plaid suit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  20. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Any idea how old this is? Never seen anything from BB made in Denmark.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does New England Shirt Co. make pants? Nice ripstop cotton.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]