1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

Such as? Any Sport Coats in 38R? ;)

2. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

[​IMG]

With my OCD, I would break the mechanism and keep it permanently on 9.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

good morning all. so, annoying thing.

i got a really nice coat with tags still attached, however the tag was placed in such a way that i cannot fully remove it. so there is a sharp piece of plastic sticking out from where i cut it.

any way to get that out without undoing the seams?

4. Timmah

Timmah Senior member

I second the 38R sport coats.

5. Purplelabel

Hey! I called dibs first ;)

I've found some interesting labels this afternoon. I'll post up pics later on.

6. ahk11

ahk11 Senior member

I get this all the time with suits and SC's from Goodwill. Their fucking tag placement drives me absolutely nuts. Usually they punch it through the shoulder seam and dont make it all the way through the lining so you're left trying to figure out how the hell to get the tag out. I just pull the tag out as much as possible without damaging the coat and clip it so that there's only a small piece of plastic left "floating" in the jacket. Unless someone has another way, I haven't figured out anything else that works.

1 person likes this.
  7. Purplelabel

8. Takai

Takai Senior member

You need Higher rise trousers.

3 people like this.
  9. jumpman1231

jumpman1231 Senior member

So asking a favor from the group. If you don't want to post it on the forum just pm me. We are in process of drawing up the plans for building a house right now and am looking for ideas on organizing the master closet. If anyone has ideas or pics of their closet or a closet they really like to ahead and shoot that over. Really unsure of the route I want to go with my ties being displayed but also accessible for everyday use. Also proper shoe displaying in the closet would be great. Thanks again for the ideas!!

10. Purplelabel

That's my waist. [​IMG]

Here are some vintage finds. They're all well used, but if anyone wants any of them let me know and we'll work something out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one made me cry. Its way too large for me, and it has marks on the sleeve [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Last one is fakkeeeeeee

4 people like this.
  12. Purplelabel

Shieeet. You learn something new everyday! Nice catch. [​IMG]

13. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Thanks, Spoo. You are right. It does suck. BUT, when something like happens, it helps to count my blessings and consider how lucky I am. It could have been so much worse.

A little history:

My office is in an area of town that changed over the years. The building was originally a residential duplex that was built in the 1950's. Over the years all of the duplexes were turned into commercial office space for several blocks. It's a decent area and there are quite a few professional offices. There's a real estate company, several therapist, insurance agents, doctors' offices, accountants, etc. my building is divided into two multi office suites with a shared common lobby. When I moved in, I had the south half of the building and an artist lived in the north half. She had a studio and a gallery. She also had a bedroom. She traveled between Santa Fe and Wichita and when she was in Wichita, she would have her shows and spend a few days in town. When she decided to move, I was able to move into the North half. It is larger and has a kitchen, larger office for me, and a larger bathroom.

My office is her former bedroom. So, if this had happened when she was still here, they would have busted into her bedroom. She also had a significant and expensive art collection.

In addition, the took my wife's laptop that was fairly new, but it did not have any client files. Plus there were many more expensive things in the office that are worth more than her laptop. NOW, all of these things have been removed.

Things like this happen and they suck and it has freaked me out a little. But, in the big picture, it was a pretty minor loss (Don't get me wrong, I'm pissed and the laptop was new, but I still feel pretty lucky).

The worst part was trying to sleep last night. I kept wanting to get up and get my shotgun and go to the office in the middle of the night. I probably will one night just to ease my mind and let any observers know that they might never know what's waiting behind that door.

14. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

3 people like this.
  15. pi34

pi34 Senior member

Woops..failed to read that sentence. Deleted & sent as PM. For anyone else [cuz its still kinda a good idea imo just wrong thread], build / design closets to utilize IKEA PAX organizers [or organizers from another company].

16. double00

double00 Senior member

those are your hips amigo. i agree with @Takai need to bring the trousers up. seeing stuff like this makes me miss pleats.

17. Purplelabel

Goddamit. [​IMG]

They're jeans, but I suppose that doesn't matter ;)

But, is the waistcoat too small? I don't wear them, so I'm not sure.

18. freehand

freehand Senior member

Few recent things, Dege is NA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is an e-thrift that didn't work out, size S
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh yeah, These are NA as well:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Drakes for Paul Stuart
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  19. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

AND sometimes (after you have learned more), its okay to go with your gut. All of us occasionally find something that we have never seen before and sometimes its worth a small risk. While this forum is mostly about clothing, don't be afraid to venture all over a thrift store or estate sale. Some of my most profitable/valuable finds have been something other than clothing.