1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

The donation may have occurred before the existence of the original thread, I dunno, it depends when the first retro releases were for all those models, donation probably happened about 8 years ago at least. I just hope they went to someone appreciative of the find and not someone with no clue. And that thought crosses my mind nearly every time I'm out in the field.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Fixed this for you man.

3 people like this.
  3. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior member

Finally found a torso woop!
    Ran home with it during my 30 minute lunchbreak and snapped a quick photo:
    [​IMG]

And on the torso a thriftstore pop:
    [​IMG]

Hopeless pictures, its more of a blue colour, and its gorgeous.

20 people like this.
  4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

"I love the smell of commerce in the morning..." -Brodie

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Is that the Goodwill off Arapahoe?

6. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Naw it was better before.

7. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I don't think the brand in it's entirety was but stan smiths and shell toes were most likely inspired, possibly the stripes as well, their take on the classic design perhaps, dunno..

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Use the multi-quote feature homie.

Is that actually yours or did you thrift it? If the latter, try not to say it was worn only once or twice because that's BS. Also, get yourself to the B/S thrift thread.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  9. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior member

Had a pair of raw silk Margiela GAT replicas, loved those shoes...

10. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

[quote name="ridethecliche"Is that actually yours or did you thrift it? If the latter, try not to say it was worn only once or twice because that's BS. Also, get yourself to the B/S thrift thread.
    [/quote]

It's mine man :) it was technically thrifted, but the owner said the person who donated it never wore it. It came with the hang tags on the buttons and that weird silica gel thing in the pocket. I still have them in a box along with my spare buttons and seeing stuff. No lies my man :)

1 person likes this.
  11. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

[​IMG]

12. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Senior member

@Jompso

Original GATs were designed and produced by a company/factory owned and run by the family that founded Adidas and Puma. They were both started by quarreling brothers (possibly over splitting up the company business).

Adidas Sambas are based in the OG design (I'm sure Puma made a similar model in their early days too) and a lot of both companies had products made in Germany for their early years, I believe.

3 people like this.
  13. Mr G from SD

Mr G from SD Senior member

I thrifted a pair of Margiela GATs a few years back. They were awesome, but sadly just a bit too small. Old photo taken from my college dorm desk. I used to photograph everything right in my dorm room and ship it at the campus post office. Good times

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  14. concealed

concealed Senior member

Nice find and i had a similar approach back in college ~8 years ago when I had my first nice thrift store flip. it was a pair of Gucci loafers.

1 person likes this.
  15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Best stop so far today...

Giro Facet Triathon cycling shoes and LL Bean Signature Waxed Maine Hunting Shoes

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  16. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

"If you don't know, now ya know, ya know"

I just knew they were/are obviously german in origin and authentic ones can still be purchased direct from Germany if your resourceful but I didn't know those two companies were German in origin. Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  17. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Stopped in my local TJ Maxx store today. While approaching the clearance section, I noticed something beautiful. Two piece Loro Piana Roadster (jacket & vest). Either piece can be worn individually. Unfortunately, TJM has lost their ever-loving mind. Clearance price: $900.

18. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

I passed up what I believe to be a 1950s "slunk calf" jacket at a small Senior Center thrift recently. The cut and style looked 50s, but the pelts...I've never seen or touched anything quite like them. 'slunk calf' is the pelts of premature calves, in the same way that the best Astrakhan lambskins are taken from premature lambs (which are generally slaughtered, along with the ewe, at calculated days before birth to get specific attributes in the skins). Cattle may be slaughtered while pregnant, but that is not a commercial thing, so you can imagine how much more rare slunk calf is. These pelts were all matched brown - Jersey, maybe, or Guernsey. It must have been incredibly expensive when new.

Sadly, the jacket was coming apart at the seams, and they still had a high price on it. If it had been in better condition, I'd have picked it up and sat on it. The right buyer will come along eventually.

2 people like this.
  19. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Senior member

@Jompso

+1 on those Epaulet horsehide GATs, also. I have a pair of the first Italian run from when I worked there, the shape and materials are gnarly.

2 people like this.
  20. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Quote: Not technically thrifted, shit was thrifted, thus condition is unknown. The shop owner doesnt know shit about what the previous owner did with that thing or didn't. I've thrifted jackets with the extra buttons in the bag in the pockets, with the vent basted shut, shoulder basting stitches still in, or front pockets/chest pocket still basted, all of these things don't mean a damn thing though. You base your description off an honest interpretation of the piece you are selling and what you are selling and what you are describing don't match up. For just hanging in the closet, that manufacturers tag has seen a lot of goddamn wear. I mean its crinkled and fading, how do you explain this occurring besides plenty of dry cleanings and friction from wear? Even if this shit magically occurred and the jacket was never worn, it still looks like it was. I'm 100% with @ridethecliche and do not list that or describe that as worn once or twice. Just describe it as being mint or lacking any signs of wear or something a long those lines, because otherwise it just appears that your lying even if you aren't and don't mean to. And don't post your listings here.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016