1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. eazye

eazye Senior member

And a full shot:
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  2. eazye

eazye Senior member

Speaking up fucking up early in the game. I'm still kicking myself for passing on a Hudson Bay duffle coat when I was a noob. That shit still stings. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Know you will not start off well, you will fail and you will lose money, then learn from your mistakes and grow. Read the thread. Don't make those same mistakes. Grow. Read thread, do own research, thrift more, become familiar with resale values, become familiar with manufacturers tags, fail less. Grow. Read thread, do own research, learn from mistakes. Lose less money. Grow.....eventually you will get an idea of what your doing and then realize how little you know. Never stop learning, researching, reading, etc.. never stop... There, I just told you how it's gonna start for you and what you need to do, take it from there.

5 people like this.
  4. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

[​IMG] Pretty excited to break this in. [/quote] I would of snatched that for the price. That was a good buy.

3 people like this.
  5. Denton

Denton Senior member

Since changing my mindset from "Why shouldn't I buy this item?" to "Why should I buy this item?" it's been better for me.

Also, 10x profit is the goal. If something is damaged, I generally pass. Left $6 Allen Edmonds Park Avenues today, too rough. Wouldn't have done that a year ago.

2 people like this.
  6. vexco

vexco Senior member

Lofty. 4x and I'm happy.

4 people like this.
  7. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

As a fellow noob, I wind up spending way too much time in the store researching sold listings for stuff I'm not familiar with. I've bought some iffy stuff that, so far, has worked out okay for the most part (except the damned varsity jacket). I'm trying to stay away from non-grail shirts, but sometimes I can't resist.

As far as spotting higher end stuff, for me the dead giveaway is the buttonholes, but some mid-tier stuff that doesn't flip well is pretty well constructed (HSM-level stuff).

My approach is to play it conservative, unless the price is low enough that I wouldn't be upset re-donating it. I am also very selective in terms of condition because I like to disclose absolutely everything in the listing.

8. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

It takes about the same amount of time to pick, list, and ship something no matter what it is. 10X profit is nice, but I'd rather have 4X on a $15 suit than 10X on a $2 tie. The suit might take a little more time to measure, photo, and pack, but not 3X as long.

1 person likes this.
  9. Denton

Denton Senior member

You're right, there's a difference. I'm excited about 4x in some cases of higher-priced items, for for the lower-priced stuff it's bleh. I'm burnt out on ties, despite being cheap to buy, easy to store, and a breeze to list, the RT BoCs, BB Makers, etc. are just too mundane. Paying $3 and eventually selling for $12 isn't worth it IMO.

Paying $14 for a BB 1818 suit and selling for $60, I'll do all day.

10. double00

double00 Senior member

i love questions like this! they always make me smile.

i can't wait until @refinery perfects technique and then posts hard-won resources/tips/tricks on a public forum. maybe a map?

in all seriousness, folks here are very generous with knowledge. i think if you read the thread you will glean much. just not on demand.

2 people like this.
  11. vexco

vexco Senior member

Pretty much. I don't even list ties anymore. I just have like 100+ BB and RT ties just sitting here waiting to be eventually listed or lotted out.

1 person likes this.
  12. the2ndhandman

Same one @capnwes found couple days ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rn# came back as sawyer.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Any shoe with London and MIE I would instantly buy

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    3 people like this.
  14. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexco [​IMG]

Lofty. 4x and I'm happy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton [​IMG]

You're right, there's a difference. I'm excited about 4x in some cases of higher-priced items, for for the lower-priced stuff it's bleh. I'm burnt out on ties, despite being cheap to buy, easy to store, and a breeze to list, the RT BoCs, BB Makers, etc. are just too mundane. Paying $3 and eventually selling for $12 isn't worth it IMO.

Paying $14 for a BB 1818 suit and selling for $60, I'll do all day.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexco [​IMG]

Pretty much. I don't even list ties anymore. I just have like 100+ BB and RT ties just sitting here waiting to be eventually listed or lotted out.

For the new year I am not buying the lower end fodder anymore. I'd rather sell 1 thing instead of 4 to make the same $$.
    I still buy the occasional thing to study it for educational purposes (Military garb for instance).

Also, ties, I still pick them up when they are super cheap. It adds a buck or so to the cost of my goods and I send a free tie along sometimes with an order. That is fun to me....

Meh, no pics tonight... Not sure if I will thrift much this month until all I have is listed, then I'll go out with a clean slate.

15. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

lol he looks like a badly designed anime character from the 80's.

[​IMG]

16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

The gate a this house is pretty tacky as well. I took this picture about a month ago.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. the2ndhandman

@classicthrifter

Did I buy your Isaia shirt last week? I could of swore it was you? As it came with the free tie?

18. OolongT

OolongT Senior member

Haven't posted anything recently so here's some stuff from the last few weeks.

Coogi
    [​IMG]

Baldwin
    [​IMG]

Patagonia, Arcteryx, Mountain Hardwear
    [​IMG]

Viyella, Prada, RLPL, Paul & Shark
    [​IMG]

Polo Sport Bear (one NWT)
    [​IMG]

Psycho Bunny, Jack Spade, Southern Tide, Southern Tide
    [​IMG]

Prada, Eco Drive
    [​IMG]

14 people like this.
  19. rhz5001

rhz5001 Senior member

Someone needs to break up this wall of text and Dog the bounty hunter...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Suits and awesome
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

23 people like this.
  20. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by the2ndhandman [​IMG]

@classicthrifter

Did I buy your Isaia shirt last week? I could of swore it was you? As it came with the free tie?

Oh that is super funny. Why yes. I guess that must have been you. Honestly, I'm afraid of ties for some reason but I feel okay sending them out. [​IMG]

Edit: I know why, it is because I haven't figured out how to take good pictures of them yet....

And my stash of ties is getting low, clean slate and all. Lol.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016