1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Some decent stuff today. Didn't have time for mediocre pics so you'll have to settle for shitty ones.
    AE
    [​IMG]
    3x RL suede (2 England, 1 Italy), old Coach bag messenger
    [​IMG]
    Suits: Canali and 2/3 of PRL Italy linen. Vest still has tags.
    [​IMG]
    J.Crew Ludlow and BB Fitzgerald birdseye
    [​IMG]
    SCs: FSC, Billy Reid x2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RLPL linen x2 and James Perse
    [​IMG]
    PRL Italy linen, Rogue Territory and FSC
    [​IMG]
    Baldwin and Gustin x2
    [​IMG]
    Legit? Seems ok to me, but thought I'd check.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18 people like this.
  2. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Today was a total bust, but I found these yesterday. Gravati Chelsea boots x2 for the wife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  3. eazye

eazye Senior member

Has anybody ever seen true vintage bespoke Foster and Son shoes before? I think I may have stumbled on a pair.
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  4. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

Decent grabs for myself today.

I know the jacket isn't mainline but the fit is ideal and I like the styling of the wool Star USA. Don't kill me Jumpso lol

My family was not impressed with the green Brooks but come this summer I'll find a use I'm sure. The Varvatos pants are mainline but I hate the fit. I'd like to slim the leg but I don't know how to French seam. The lighting for the ties is shit but the second tie is gorgeous. The boss pants might be the best fitting pants I own and will be going into rotation. Boss shirt is a little tight on the arms but when I wanna feel like Herc I'll wear it.

Not pictured are some brand new Red Wing oxfords. Needed safety shoes for work and was getting tired of the big clunky boots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Spruce Moose

Passed on this jacket. They have it listed at 200 which is too much imo but love the jacket and the history. It's 50% off this Sunday so maybe I'll consider it. Probably never make the money back on it but may never see another. Sorry for the shitty picture. I didn't try it on or look at it too much because I'd probably buy it [​IMG]

Edit: Looking at my picture now it looks to be women's thankfully so I can sleep and forget about it

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Isn't that the peal & co logo?

7. Woofa

Woofa Senior member

These are pics of a beautiful pair I got from Gmmcl in trade. These are thought to be c&j.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. white collar

white collar Senior member

Did someone say new kicks?
    NIKE BLAZER HIGH PREMIUM GREEN FOAMPOSITE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nike Blazer High White Anthracite Silver
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Air Jordan I Retro Low (Inline)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Converse Chuck Taylor AS Slim Hi Premium Leather
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too bad

5 people like this.
  9. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Foster & Son have a rich history and is a very, very well made shoe

10. refinery

refinery Well-Known Member

Are there any resources/tips for thrifting smart?

I'm know I'm not the first to ask in ~1700 pages but I've read the Put This On articles and occasionally make a trip to stores when I have time but I'm just wondering if there's some tricks up your guys' sleeves.

Thanks in advance.

11. Spruce Moose

Read thread daily and you'll learn which brands to look out for. I only do it occassionally and for fun/personal and even I'm able to identify a lot of brands with only seeing partial tags, etc.

Learn to spot well manufactured garments. This is so much easier than it sounds as the first time you actually handle high end clothing the difference is usually obvious.

Never think you are above learning.. A year ago I thought I had a good game. I'd laugh at myself from a year ago and id be willing to bet I'll be saying the same thing next year.

These would be my biggest tips. Good night all

4 people like this.
  12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

ONE thumb? People need to look this shit up.

That was based on the sidewall.
    But now I remember what I did with those.
    BTW, I now suspect those may have been Handgrade -- a cut WAY above standard C&J. Foster did not screw around.

This.

A lot.

Like, Lobb and G&G quality unless I'm greatly mistaken (which I've been known to be on shoes before)

1 person likes this.
  13. refinery

Thanks for the tips. I'm not an expert but I can tell between fully canvassed/half/fused and stuff like that.

I also kind of have a brand cheat sheet just in case I see something I'm not sure is worth by just feel/intuition alone.

How big does experience play a part of knowing when to buy or pass? I've never personally regretted not getting something I was iffy on but the flip side of buying something then regretting it has happened a few times for sure.

14. pi34

pi34 Senior member

Not sure if it counts, picked up an ISAIA jacket at an outlet today. I know it's not a thrift find, but I thought it was a bragworthy buy. Totally new with tags and all for 85% off retail.

[​IMG]

Picture sucks, but its more or less the same as http://www.barneys.com/isaia-quilted-twill-jacket-503921388.html [just a darker navy]

Pretty excited to break this in.

12 people like this.
  15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

An education that one pays for - either by making the occasional mistake or doing a lot of research...but mostly a combination of both. You get over the hump after a while and it gets better. No shortcuts.

1 person likes this.
  16. refinery

I guess the adage of time is money still holds true.

17. double00

double00 Senior member

fucking goyard only got 7 [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

That's a great Hudson bay. I've been looking for one for awhile online but in the toggle coat. Womens come up more often then mens. There price is market value " I look every day for them" that's what it's worth. Pendleton made a similar one when the glacier park blanket was released again in the early 2000's but it was for women and dogs no men's version. That would be a great thrift to me to find one of those.

2 people like this.
  19. eazye

eazye Senior member

Re: peal and co, that was my first thought too, but if I remember my shoe history correctly, peal offered a bespoke service through Foster and Son a long, long time ago. But what's really giving me pause is that the only tagging on the inside of the shoe is hand written on the tongue, something I hadn't seen with C&j before. Please excuse the nasty thumbnail shot.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.