• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odradek

Reaction score
2 e-thrifts.
New & Lingwood grenadine tie, and a Vineyard Vines one from The Meadow Club of Southampton, Long Island.

Vineyard Vines seem pretty unknown here in England.

Then, this morning I went to the Sue Ryder sale in Nettlebed, and came home with some great ties.

And in a further stroke of good luck, I spotted these old Church shoe trees when heading out the door.
The woman hadn't got change to break a 20 so just let me have them for nothing.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've got a feeling it's easier to true thrift Row tailoring in certain areas in the US than in UK charity shops

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Versace Guy for the record, Indianapolis and the surrounding area sucks for thrifting. Carmel is probably okay, but @Cj52racers works his butt off to cover that area and the pickings are already very slim.

Midwesterners just don't know how to dress. (disclaimer: born and raised in central Illinois)

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I woulda let you pork my sister for that beosystem with cabinet, and slowly laid twenty dollar bills on your back while you were doing her until you said "stop that's enough."

You just described my last weekend minus the system

No wonder my sister wasn't answering her phone.

THIS is what the ******* thread is about.

Good morning

NICE ONE! Good to see someone in our area finding stuff again, little by little. There is hope.

Dude, we get it, you two don't get along. It's probably best you just put him on your ignore list and move along.
. Yeah. Look back at previous threads if you want to see how ... Epic ... Frency's disagreements can be. He's being incredibly restrained and I commend him for it.

freehand

Reaction score

2 e-thrifts.
New & Lingwood grenadine tie, and a Vineyard Vines one from The Meadow Club of Southampton, Long Island.

Vineyard Vines seem pretty unknown here in England.

Then, this morning I went to the Sue Ryder sale in Nettlebed, and came home with some great ties.

And in a further stroke of good luck, I spotted these old Church shoe trees when heading out the door.
The woman hadn't got change to break a 20 so just let me have them for nothing.

Nice stuff - were the e-thrifted ties from the dickie bow guy? I got 2 from him this week, pretty happy with them, I'll post them when I've accumulated a few more finds.

Odradek

Reaction score

Nice stuff - were the e-thrifted ties from the dickie bow guy? I got 2 from him this week, pretty happy with them, I'll post them when I've accumulated a few more finds.

Yes they were.
The grenadine one has a stain on the front that he never mentioned, but I think most people would never spot it.
Had that before with a Dunhill tie I got from him that had a stain. When I complained he just said "What do you expect for that price".

I think that's why he takes such bad photos, just to hide the flaws. Still, you can get a bargain sometimes.

The small print at the end of all his listings says.... "Please note all ties may require cleaning."

Last edited:

AlexJ1100

Reaction score
I think it's partly a reflection of my interest in clothes - I like everything but love quality tailoring - and also the fact that it's still really hard to find Savile Row bespoke clothes in charity shops. In London at least, prices tend to be pretty high too, so I leave a TON of stuff behind.
If you could offer any recommendations for shops it would be greatly appreciated, would be shopping more for self than flip. In July I am flying over for my future sister-in-law's wedding near London, I'm thinking maybe Harlow? This will be about 2 months after my own wedding so we're making it a 2.5 week trip visiting London, Paris, Munich, and somewhere in Italy.

I don't think I am going to sell it, no. Its just one of those things that is all but an unrepeatable accomplishment and my wife and I really love it.

Love this. Going to mount in some way?

freehand

Reaction score

If you could offer any recommendations for shops it would be greatly appreciated, would be shopping more for self than flip. In July I am flying over for my future sister-in-law's wedding near London, I'm thinking maybe Harlow?

Sure, I'll drop you a PM. Given prices can be a bit steep for flipping anyway, shopping for yourself is probably the best way to go.

AlexJ1100

Reaction score
Woke up early for one of the last garage sale weekends of the year. Nothing outrageous but some fun finds.

Camp Trails - US Made - Medium

Been had that vintage wata shield

Blackwatch Throw

Old Dartmouth Sweater

If you're alumnus let me know, the man was a graduate and he had a ton of Dartmouth stuff (mugs, prints, bar stool, plate set (pics spoilered) Estate sale if you'd be interested in anything.

Echo scarf - Not really sure if its a thing but I love the print

Commonwealth of Kentucky Cufflinks

Square Bar Style Thule Canoe Mounts

Pendleton Blackwatch Blazer

x2 - Thule Big Mouth 599XTR Roof Bike Mounts
At least one is N/A

richnet12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Oxxford jackets from this decade, this century. They seem to be true sport coats and are from the same guy dated in 03, 07, and 08.

In 2003 he started off a little portly with a 47.5" chest. The sleeves are 22.5".

Then in 2007 he decided to get fancy with patch pockets on his blazers...nice light material..BUT WHY YOU NO VENT?!
The chest size is down to 44.5". Nice job losing the weight fellow!

Finally, another year down the line, he gets it right with both patch pockets and a single vent!
And he maintained his weight loss at a 44.5" chest. Unfortunately his arms still fit in a 23" sleeve.

richnet12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some other thrifted fodder which came along yesterday with the Oxxford jackets:

Ben Silver light blue dress shirt with contrasting white collar goodness...this will be worn!!

Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald light blue cotton pants 34 x 28 ..available

Zegna pants n/a

J. Crew snow flake sweater 100% lambswool with tag. Available. Small on the tag but has a
51" chest and 26" sleeve to shoulder.

And just to see if you are still paying attention...

Loro Piana 100% cashmere Roaster Pull half zip sweater. No true thrift but purchased second
hand online. Its in excellent condition. Size 56 with a 51" chest and 26" sleeve and is available.

winny94

Reaction score
Texas members; gf and I will be in the dallas area all next week, is it worth taking a half day to go to Austin? Not for thrifting, just general food, bar, shopping, sightseeing, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads