The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

It'll sell... (sorry for the insignificant flippy talk)

2. borbor

borbor Senior member

Don't sweat it. I wasn't sorry for thinking that's brave.

See Wes does pretty good with it. Some of the prices you guys get out of this shitty silhouette is nothing short of amazing. I can't believe ppl still wear a 6x1 (and yes I know the kor dudes at bntailor still posts this on their tumblr)

3. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

I like the silhouette on a 6x1 with a few tweaks. has a masculine profile.

4. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

I almost always prefer 6 or 4 x2, but as long as it's not a super low gorge, I don't mind 6x1.

5. freehand

freehand Senior member

Ouch.

6. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior member

How could I in any way take this the wrong way haha, thank you, Means alot. Due to last days turbulence and negativity here I'll take the time to say how much I love this thread, not only because Ive learned so much from it but just due to the whole thing and the general humbleness of the members, the help one gets and the general level of friendship.This thread is the first thing I read in the morning, and a constant reason for me to skip breakfast due to being late to work eventho I have 1 hour every morning to get ready and I live 1 minute from my workplace!

7. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

6x2 is perfect. when i say a 6x1 looks good with a few tweaks? i mean having it altered to be a 6x2. to bring the waist in. so that i can look like a super villain. [​IMG]

bring forth the swag. i believe in you.

8. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Perhaps he meant mainland Europe [​IMG]

9. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Morning all! Yesterday, I was able to go by one of my sweeter spots and it did not disappoint with seven Oxxford jackets, a couple of Zegnas and a Luciano Barbera Sartoriale, which has that Attolini tag. The LB was not that striking and had some small moth holes in front.
    The Oxfords were nice but an Oxxford without the pants is just taking up space in the closet. Turned up no pants, so kept three
    which were from this century and two of which have patch pockets. One actually says "sport coat" on the tag I believe.

I know..pics or it didn't happen..have to wake up first!

10. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

If anyone new to the thread or who is just curious wants to grab the KNOWLEDGE BOX tm. it is available. Just ask!

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Apologies Freehand - you are as well. Not just backtracking to cover up an oopsie, I forgot you were located over the pond.

12. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

U do know ignoring button is useless if someone is quoted right?

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

So, I wasn't trying to sell the flag to him but he wrote back and offered me $400 for it. I said thanks, but I hadn't intended to sell it - though out of curiosity, what would he sell it for in his shop? He told me that he would have to invest about $4,000 for preservation and mounting in a shadowbox for it but wouldn't give me a retail number. I can only assume that someone who would put $4400 into the cost of an item would try and sell it for at least $8,000, no?

*note this isn't flippy talk because its not being flipped - rather a valuation of finding a major antique.

Anyhow, ill try and get some other people to look at it to see what we can come up with but for now Ill note that (a restored and mounted version of) my Spanish-American war 13 star US flag banner should be somewhere in the $8,000 range. This was true thrift by the way, fruit hanging on the trees, right there with the other nylon flags. I paid $24 for a piece of American history. Bam.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  14. freehand

freehand Senior member

It was mock offense, no harm done! That banner story is quite amazing, I am surprised that restoration/ preservation can be so expensive. Would you sell for a higher price or are you keeping? Do keep us updated, I'm getting hooked on American Pickers despite not knowing half of the significant older brands/ manufacturers. I just love old stuff!

15. SpooPoker

I love that show.

I don't think I am going to sell it, no. Its just one of those things that is all but an unrepeatable accomplishment and my wife and I really love it. The higher the value, thats wonderful and one day maybe can go towards my daughters college fund, but for now, its just awesome.