1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

This statement hurts my brain.

1 person likes this.
  2. eazye

eazye Senior member

This statement hurts my brain.

2 people like this.
  3. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

I'm not a fancy beer person, at all.

It's what my father drinks, what his father drank, it was my first beer, it is my go to beer.
    Could not care less if Budweiser is shit, cheap, not crafty, etc.
    Just my preference.

1 person likes this.
  4. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Shoutout to @capnwes for this awesome vintage tweed coat for Little O!

[​IMG]

He hasn't learned the joy of posing for thrift fits yet. :D

[​IMG]

35 people like this.
  5. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

A few minor brags and one croc/gator authenticity check.

ALL Available

First, the croc/gator. These are Stuart McGuire. I have found and sold several of these. And I know the company at times made all sort of exotics such as Crocodile/Alligator, Ostrich, reptiles, and I even found a pair of Camel skin.

But, I'm not sure about these. They look pretty good, but I can't figure out what is making me question them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few other finds:

NEW Brooks Brothers Country Club Egyptian Cotton made in Italy Large

[​IMG]

Very recent 100% Cashmere Hickey Freeman SC in a gorgeous Rust Brown Dual Vents 46L

[​IMG]

Cool Harley Davidson shirt (sorry for the lousy pics). Great embroidered Willie G. Skull logos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This next one was a thrift purchase but I got it from a guy on AAAC quite a while ago.

NWT Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Egyptian Cotton Woven in Italy XXL

Interesting Seahorse pattern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NEW Executive Imperials Old School style heavy Longwing Gunboats 8 EEE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Expert witness OT discussion:

I'm not quite that cynical about experts. But, there are definitely times when it irritates me I have to pay an expert to testify about something that I don't believe requires an expert opinion. But, I don't wear the black robe, so I do what I have to.

I was also involved in a case where the Court asked me to step in and review a proposed settlement and offer my opinion about the reasonableness of the settlement. These things happen all the time they are called friendly settlements and the Court has to decide how to apportion the settlement when there is a death or a minor child. In that case, it was a pretty hefty settlement (in excess of $500,000), but the expert fees were almost $200,000. Normally that would be outrageous and it would have been a disservice to the client. But, it was a case where liability was really questionable. The expert report put it over the edge. If the expert had not done such an excellent and complete job, I would not have been persuaded and I'm sure the insurance company that paid out the settlement would not have been persuaded. So, in that case, the expert fees were incredibly high, but without the expert I suspect there would have been no recovery.

I do agree in many cases that the hiring of an expert and the charges are quite a racket. And it is one of the reasons litigation can be so expensive.

When I was in law school, I almost accepted an offer to work for a firm that was involved in the subrogation claims for the World Trade Center collapse on 9/11. There was (obviously) BILLIONS AND BILLIONS at stake. I'm sure the lawyers on both sides made a lot of money, but I suspect that there were some experts involved in the case that hit the lottery when they were retained.

7. eazye

eazye Senior member

Does anybody remember what the good Valentino line is? Was it the boutique ?

8. Timmah

Timmah Senior member

Not trying to be a beer snob but you should really try some other stuff.
    I can recommend some really good stuff that you would probably like (based on you liking Bud) that doesn't cost a fortune. (I'm sure most people here could).

9. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  10. Yorker

Yorker Senior member

1 person likes this.
  11. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

When I was visiting my father in law for Christmas, he came down wearing this one morning. Then on my first run since being back in town I pop it for myself funny how that works.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  12. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Senior member

Seems one of my shops near work saved up their jackets to put out today. Just the three for thee...

Armani Collezioni beige jacket 44R made in Portugal. Never bought Armani before but was too cheap, too clean and too nice to pass up. Does this stuff sell? Available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, a pretty standard Harris Tweed jacket. Made in England. 38" chest ish. Greeny tweed. Available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally...I believe the term is BALLER. :slayer: Wool/Cash double-breasted coat with awesome lining. Seems L/XL. Great quality. Don't know a lot about these...were they a Mod thing? It's lovely. Sadly too big for me. Available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

No problem dude, my girlfriend's entire family are beer snobs, and I have tried some other things, but I'm super content with good ole' Bud Heavy. Each and every time. Probably some sentimental value in it, as weird as that sounds.

14. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Plenty of decent local stuff right in town... Great Lakes Dortmunder being a good stepping stone.

1 person likes this.
  15. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Believe me, mang, I completely understand where you are coming from. I drank beer for years. The only brand that I would drink was Icehouse. It was cheap and had (for Alabama) higher than average alcohol content. Yes, I tried every craft beer, ipa, trappist monk beer, yadda yadda yadda, etc. I would, invariably, go back to the beer that I love. When you develop a taste for something, nothing else will quite quench that thirst. It is not a slam on other brands. Rather, just a flavor that you know and trust. Icehouse and Budweiser might be considered low-brow, blue collar brews. However, they are consistent in their quality and value. Expensive small batch beers are not always better. I guess that I am also going against the grain when I feel that Folgers coffee is superior to Starbucks. But, I digress.

2 people like this.
  16. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Senior member

A few things from the weekend. I looked up the RN on the coat and it seems like it's just a Nordstrom house brand but it was too cheap to leave. From my googling the wool coat is from the 30's. All available. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

THRIFTMAS 2015!!!!!!!

THRIFTMAS 2015!!!

Thank you, @eazye for the excellent presents! Everything is great (wearing the grenadine tie today!), and the card is fantastic!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14 people like this.
  18. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

Could not agree more man. It's just what I know and what I like. A taste I've developed and grew up around. I've tried some great beer, do not get me wrong, but none that I would enjoy more than 1 bottle of. Same with Tennessee Honey. If I want to switch it up, and go liquor, that's what you'll see me sippin' on, on ice I guess. I fully, I repeat, fully realize I'm missing out on some great stuff, especially here in Cleveland.

1 person likes this.
  19. dadjeans

dadjeans Senior member

As far as I know, Valentino Boutique used to be the good stuff (as opposed to Valentino Uomo). I've seen at least one Valentino Boutique SC with an Isaia tag.

Nowadays you're looking for the stuff that just says Valentino with Made in Italy next to it or underneath in small type (as opposed to Valentino Roma or Valentino Jeans).

2 people like this.
  20. eazye

eazye Senior member

Awesome this is what I wanted to hear. On a side note, too late for the cheapies??? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21 people like this.