The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

This all rings true but the additional appeal is the investment, rarity, and exclusivity....the longer and longer time goes by the more and more the vintage frames will be falling by the wayside, damage, breaking, getting tossed, lost, etc... so they do nothing but appreciate with time if maintained and taken care of. They are wearable, tangible, investments, and what is being produced by Safilo and Luxxotica is plastic they call acetate, designer frames that cost less then 2 bucks to make, no detailing or craftsmanship, no makers marks or designer quirks that bring value, It just a bunch of glasses made of the same fucking materials just designed differently....the guccis may cost you 300 the SLPs maybe 350, but the Anne Kleins will only run ya 20 and they all share the same thing in common, they possess the same quality and lack any form of true craftsmanship. They're garbage and some of the biggest fucking rackets in the industry.

It killed me when Oliver Peoples went that route, I still love the frames but i truly thought they would hold out and stay true and keep production in Japan...but I guess everyone has their price....the only current Sunglass company I would vouch 100% for and are true works of art, are Dita. Those glasses are fucking gorgeous are amazingly crafted...but in general, the industry has sold out and is dying...just another factor adding to the value of vintage.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

EAAAAZY that chesterfield homie! Synergy! Can you fit that in a flat rate and send it over? :)

True thrift?

3. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I had a small collection of decent stuff at one point, I'm taklin like a handful maybe 5 or 7 or something, I don't know cuz they have all been sent to Spoo because after a week of spending money on vintage frames at shops, I employed 2 of some of the most principle and basic rules of thrifting, if you don't know what your buying, dont fucking buy it, and if you're running a business, stay true to your business and your inventory, let growth come organically, don't come to a rash decision you wanna do something and suddenly implement it, eradic behavior like this gets no followers....

@SpooPoker may get a lot, but these? naw, these Ima hold onto, forever. Impossible to find info on them, they are so rare and old, but i recall reading they could possibly date back to the 50s however design wise, I don't really see that...anyways, frames like this, designs like this, craftsmanship and bronze work just on the arms that detalied like this? That ship has sailed...completely deadstock, notice none of the inner writing is worn even in the slightist, the frames are molded antique bronze metal. When you ask for that glasses bin, these are the types of shit you wanna see starin ya back... (and this is in no way me making even the slightest attempt at a "thrift rebuttal" or "I have a rebuttall for what you spent countless hours and hard earned money on to get and are happy and proud to share"... just sharin the pair that are the foundation of the vintage collection that is slowly growing. Won't ever sell any of them ever and only goin premium, but being able to hold pieces like this, iconic pieces from famous design houses, true pieces of history, that's the shit I love.... the hunt is fun too when your at the right spots and the finds are epic....with that, I bring you my..

ORIGINAL Fendi Zodiacs in pure Antiqued Bronze, made in Italy ..... it took a lot of fucking man hours and skilled work to be able to do what was done here, I mean each Zodiac sign has been perfectly engraved in the arms from bronze while some even have a distinct FF logo too, as does the bridge, adorning three (they aren't faded just shadowed)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Definitely don't have your selection and quantity (partly due to my unload to Spoo), but fucking comin up on these was pretty awesome.

4. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

@Jomspro.....I am pretty certain that is '80's North Face.

5. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

@Jomspro.....I am pretty certain that is '80's North Face.

[​IMG]

6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Well that's what I thought but they were getting some weird errors.

Thanks dudes.

7. eazye

eazye Senior member

It was free!

It came with my wife. :smarmy:

8. eazye

eazye Senior member

Another freebie, not nearly as nice as your's Spoo (looks like the legs were replaced at some point :mad: ) But not bad for a side of the road find.
    [​IMG]

9. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

I see these quite a bit at estate sales. But, most of them are either torn up, faded beyond easy repair or priced VERY high.

Funny thing is many of the ones I find are blue. I have yet to find a black one or one in this beautiful color! This just makes me want to look for them even more!

10. eazye

eazye Senior member

This color is pretty cool too. :eek:
    [​IMG]

11. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior member

Sooo, just a preview but just bought 4 pair of bespoke boots from the forties by some unknown swedish shoemaker. Well I found six pair but they refused to sell them all to me due to unfair, others need shoes too. 35 $ for all of them so Im happy. Oh and they are my size, and fantastic.
    [​IMG]

12. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

Does anyone here listen to the Maron podcast? I thought it was funny that, a few months ago, he was interviewing Mike Watt, who was talking about his anal cysts and other very gross stuff and the following episode after that was his interview with Obama. Quite the transition...

13. eazye

eazye Senior member

Need......better......pics...... :nodding:

14. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I've listened here and there when the guest is of interest. He did a Keith Richards one recently that was pretty good.

15. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

That bottom right pair looks rill rill purty