1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Senior member

@Shoeluv

You should try LVC. The 1947 and 1966 501 are pretty great, as is the 67 505 (if you don't mind a zip fly). They're all pretty great and aren't super skinny, but slim-ish.

You can usually find them for a good deal as well.

2. double00

double00 Senior member

the current mainline stf 501 is essentially the mid-50s cut and you can just go to kohl's and grab em for 35 bucks.

the non-selvedge little e 80s versions are utterly badass and can be had cheaply in any thrift shop. and guess what? they're made in USA of legit cone denim too.

3. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I'm not sure I can do slim fit, I am 6'1" 215 lbs. Athletic fit, with semi large thighs. I wear 38" x 34" today, but I don't mind buying stuff since I can always sell it if it doesn't work. I will try the LVC and a pair of Gustin. Not sure I can do the not washing thing, that just sounds nasty.

4. concealed

concealed Senior member

dont smoke weed at work bro

6 people like this.
  5. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Do you care about built quality or details?

If you are not worrying about having sick fadez, I would wash them once a week or so as long as you don't tumble dry them. You should be ok.

1 person likes this.
  6. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

That I can do, I just see this stuff about rinsing them and not washing for a year. That stuff would gross me out, I am a little bit of a clean freak.

The choices I think I will try are RRL, LVC, and Gustin. I will pick up one of each and give them a try, I can always resale for minimal loss of they don't work out.

Thanks for all the PMs guys and advice here.

7. vexco

vexco Senior member

Not washing isn't that big of a deal depending on what you do in them but I get where you're coming from.

All 3 of those are good choices. LVC probably being the best of the bunch, imo. I'd also throw out Tellason as an option. They make fuller cuts and are affordable.(As well as The Jean Shop).

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Dudes! Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to you all! I love this place and I've met a lot of great people here. Some I consider friends despite having never seen their face. And some of you are just generous beyond belief. Some shoutouts to some soecial people from this past year: @vexco, back at you @dazedstate, at @ReubenR and @Woofa, @thriftydood for his patience, @Cj52racers for his generosity, and so many others who I should name.

@SpooPoker, @capnwes, and @HansderHund for being our glue.

And finally, @txwoodworker for keeping it real with me down here in Austin and always being willing to hand over a grail just because I dig it.

12 people like this.
  9. barrelntrigger

I wash my jeans whenever they get stinky or dirty. But I avoid washing them in machines. I prefer to soak them and hang dry them. The last pair of jeans my wife accidentally washed in the machine but hung dry left behind vertical streaks. I downgraded them for work only...

1 person likes this.
  10. barrelntrigger

Anyone size 36 in jeans interested in 3 pairs of flint and tender selvedge denim for beater to wear gardening or working on cars?
    Thrifted 3 pairs.
    Can have for cheap.
    [​IMG]

11. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

@Doomsticks, I met a Swede from Malmo yesterday and they referred to my dress as a "Manchester Suit". I was wearing the top half of a tweed three piece and some cords on bottom. Does this term mean anything to you?

12. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior member

Corduroy is called manchester fabric in swedish, dont ask me why. But if you were wearing a threepiece tweed Ixguess the person was sartorially challenged?

2 people like this.
  13. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Top half of a three piece twwe paired with cord pants. Thanks. This clarifies things a bit.

14. twitchknaf

twitchknaf Active Member

@concealed
    Lol can't touch the stuff sadly
    But how about some critique?

15. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Everyone okay in your part of the world?
    Those are great. If you continue with it, I'd love to see any other projects you make!
    Very kind words. I appreciate your posts and fit pics. I enjoy keeping up with this thread quite a bit. When other people tell me their hobbies in real life, I'm interested. They tell me about archery, rock climbing, windsurfing and a variety of others. I haven't quite yet figured out a way to describe what I enjoy...digging through old stuff, taking pictures of it and posting it online. Then, I discuss it. Boiled down to those words, it sounds like the habit of a crazy person. No matter, I enjoy reading all of the posts here and even the arguments that occasionally erupt. Thanks to all of the current regulars and those we don't see posting here much these days (I know some of you lurk).

4 people like this.
  16. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I'm not sure what kind of critique you'd like, but it's a bit hard to see with the photos. Fit of the suit looks okay from what I can see. It looks like you're going for a '60s salaryman look which is fine if that's what you like. If that's your goal, the shirt and tie look pretty incongruent. Not only do they look very spring-like colors, but the shirt looks more like a sport shirt rather than something I'd wear with a tie. If I'm right about the look you'd like to achieve, I'd swap the shirt out for something that doesn't stand out as much. Speaking of the tie, I think you need a fatter knot on it to fill the collar. It looks a bit limp as it stands. I assume you put the hat back on for the photo's sake and it fits you well. If you wore the hat the entire day at the office, definitely rethink that. A hat looks out of place all day, it looks far more natural if it's worn on the commute in or home...i.e., outdoors.

I don't mean to be harsh, so hopefully you don't read it that way, it's just easier to find things to improve upon.

2 people like this.
  17. Letric

Letric Senior member

Alright boys and girls... It's December 26th, and most thrifts are open again. Let's mop up those "end of the year rich guy tax write off" donations.

Historically, I've done VERY well around this time of year.

Cheers!

2 people like this.
  18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

that would be really, really, awesome.

19. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

Will do! She wants to take me to a specialty needlepoint store today so we'll see what jumps out at me. I'd like to practice on making a few more smaller items before attempting a belt. I'll have to post some of the other items shes done for me.

Apparently a local monestary reopened an brewery that was on site years and years ago so that may also be on the list of things to do today.

20. twitchknaf

twitchknaf Active Member

Thank you appreciate still trying to get a better grasp on things

Sunny south Florida 86 for Christmas, hat was just for pic and I remove it unless I'm in a common area.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015