The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

2. vexco

vexco Senior member

Only 38k? Let me count out my pocket change.

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Check the sofa. Little-known fact that the average American sofa has over $20,000 in loose change between the cushions.

4. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I've done some leather working and would be interested in seeing your projects.

5. vexco

vexco Senior member

Luckily we have multiple sofas.

6. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Senior member

Triple patch brown cord, Gant Made in Italy line (haven't seen it before). Strange tag with a different size on each side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I bought a pair of these new years ago and wore em out, nice to find another pair in my size! Pricey but less than 10% of retail and prolly cheaper than fixing my old ones. I don't even have to topy. Paul Smith x Triumph, made in italy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AE grayson missing a tassel, gonna try and make one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. vexco

vexco Senior member

Also found this yesterday and have no idea about the person who made it. Made by Rocky's Custom Clothes in LA. Any idea on the general quality of this maker @Jompso or anyone else in LA?

Single-breasted, peak lapels, dual vents, surgeon cuffs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

From the glare of my screen that looks like a fairly great looking jacket you got there. Everything else is off so I hope it fits cuz that SB with those Peaks are killin it....problems would lie in the fact that I have never seen that label before. Now addmitelly there are probably thousands of labels I haven't seen, but a tailor that has a label stating a Los Angeles Location with a Missouri area code as their business line seems a little odd. Now it could be a cell but just by the design of that patch, I'm gonna venture to guess that business lines were land lines when that was made. By the looks of it, whoever and wherever it was constructed, it was well done cuz it's beautifully cut, has the rear skirt, functioning cuffs, fabric turned back under collar, these are all signs of attention to detail and/or hand work. But I honestly have no clue what to make of the actual business....I just say wear it in good health..

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015

9. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Just want to say that after putting it to the test in the remnants of a hurricane..Loro Piana Storm System doeskin does the job keeping one dry!

10. double00

double00 Senior member

not to sharpshoot but 818 is LA. it's not westwood, but it's in there somewheres. that's a dope jacket.
    (i think it's a crappy pic of the label leading to "6 or 8" misgiving)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015

11. winny94

winny94 Senior member

I'd be interested in seeing the holster. I'm going to need something for a gov't model 1911 at some point.

12. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

What's the difference between a gov't model and a standard 1911? capacity?

13. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Oh shit, my bad, I thought that thing said 816 not 818. Yea 818 is LA county, it's the Valley. Not really my hood but definitely an LA area area code, that was stupid.....and now I feel more stupid because you stated the mistake I made and I didn't even read it....well yes that's what happened.

There's a million bespoke tailors out here cuz there's a lot of money and a lot of people who want custom shit. Obviously not your uber rich but your comfortable types want there stuff done so they find some local guys who they will swear are the best and get it done. I'm sure there are a bunch of great crafters in this city, that jacket shows evidence, as far as I can tell, that theres at least one, but it makes for the most annoying fucking thrifting ever. Racks and racks of no name bespoke shit is the worst to sort through, but looks like @vexco found a diamond in the rough.

14. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I've been absent for a bit as I was in Dublin for some time and then came back to a mountain of work. I raced through 1,500+ posts, and holy hell was there some serious action. I thumbed quite a bit, but well done @SpooPoker and @silverwarebandit! Awesome finds!

A couple of announcements...

@Ds13 and @dukedishin won the fit pic contest in a tie! Congrats to you both, I'm going to try to make another square in the next couple of days and then I'll send them out to you. @Ds13: let me know your address whenever you get a chance!

The 4th annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange will begin very soon! I'm going to try to get a post together tonight explaining it for the first-timers, but hopefully we'll be able to draw names next weekend. All information to follow shortly!

Now, did someone say Orlebar Brown? Before you get too excited, I probably can't do a better price than what you'd find on ebay.

[​IMG]

I've been on the hunt for a child-sized Gloverall. Hadn't had much luck, but found this one in the US, so got it for (what I felt like) was a great price. Heavy, made in England, and great condition with a bright lining, little wear I think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I showed this to my mother and she said she had my old coat that was strikingly similar, so now I have two, though they're different sizes.

[​IMG]