The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who sees that. I've seen ties with nekkid pin-up girls on the inside lining, but this is far more subtle.

2. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

I've seen that discussed, yes. I'm more curious about the dovetailing. Is it exclusive to very high end shoes, and what purpose does it serve?

3. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

4. bboowwyy

bboowwyy Senior member

Was having a no luck until these Popped up at my last stop. Wish they were a 41

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. double00

double00 Senior member

i think the story with the heels is if you look at wear patterns you really only need replace that rubber portion of the heel.

and i suspect the dovetail is merely an "old-world, traditional" flourish as a way of keeping integrity of the joint (a la dovetail drawers vs butt joints in cabinets, or dovetail neck joints versus mortise-and-tenon in guitar necks). it takes more skill to match the joint but it has the advantage of not peeling apart as easily.

guitar necks are actually compound dovetails, and it's usually a very very skilled person who does this. same with drawers - it's sort of the height of traditional western joinery. i sort of wonder if there's a dude in a shoe factory who actually chisels the rubber or if it's just run through a machine. it might just be marketing smoke.

6. Letric

Letric Senior member

Ah, I'm glad you know it's a Porsche at least. 2008 Cayman S. Pops bought it off the showroom floor in 2008, and it touches pavement about once per year. I believe there's like 1200 miles on it. "Ferris, he never drives it. He just rubs it with a diaper!". It's one of a few in his collection, and it happens to live in the workshop with my inventory lol.

The windowpane SC is a gem that I scored a couple years ago. It was on a mannequin in a boutique thrift store window in Seattle. I knew just from the fabric that it was of exceptional quality. Unfortunately there are absolutely 0 makers marks, tags, fabric content labels, etc. Nothing to identify it. It IS however almost entirely hand made. Every lining seam, every pick stitch, every button-hole is hand sewn.

I'm like 99.9% sure the fabric is from Carlo Barbera Mills, as I once saw a Luciano Barbera womens SC with the EXACT same fabric... right down to the weave. I have no idea on the maker though. I'm thinking it was a custom piece from Savile Row. It's possible there were some makers labels inside the lining, but they were removed. When I purchased it, it was way too small for me... But now since losing weight, it actually fits like a glove. I wish it were side vented, or even single vented... but its still an amazingly striking jacket. I planned on wearing it this Halloween. It's the type of jacket that you notice from down the street... I love the thing, and will never part with it. I can provide some sexy photos of it soon.

Oh and I think I payed like $25 for it. [​IMG]

7. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Very nice. Love the texture on those. What brand?

8. vexco

vexco Senior member

Went to Charlotte earlier for fun. Figured I'd make a few stops. Everything available.

2 x NWT Band of Outsiders polos. Size 2.

[​IMG]

Gant by Michael Bastian buffalo nickel sweater. My size so N/A!

[​IMG]

Alden full strap shells. Size 9.5A

[​IMG]

9.5D Allen Edmonds Park Avenue

[​IMG]

Santoni Classico cap-toes. Size 10.5

[​IMG]

Bruno Magli size 8.5

[​IMG]

Bean boots. No tagged size but my GF says they fit around a 9.5 or 10 in women's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Incotex Chinolino flat-fronts, 2 x Willis & Geiger thick ass pants. All size 34.

[​IMG]

J. Press flannel 3 piece. Size 42S. Flat-fronts, 3/2 roll and all that trad shit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New England shirt(this is a thing right?), Outlier(amazing), skeet

[​IMG]

My favorite find of the day, for sure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vintage Schott NYC flight jacket. Huge talon zipper. Not in perfect shape but it's awesome.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015

9. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

@letric

I know the feeling. I thrifted these about a 2 years ago. Saw them on the rack just about past out. I've worn them once maybe twice I just won't part. That and my wife hates them. I must say they only really go with select outfits. Paid $14.99

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

All this vintage sneaker talk made me wonder just how the heck they do a restoration. Found a video. I learned some stuff.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

what are those?

12. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Having owned Sassettis I know that isn't the case here (unless that heels been touched, which I'm kinda leaning yes but could be wrong), but a thread dedicated strictly to Polo shoes should end all mysteries.

13. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

The second best shoe maker.

14. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Haggar?

15. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Could be wrong but I believe they're the Aston Martin x John Lobb driving shoe collabs