1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I don't want to use proton powder, that will give me acne and man-tits and shrink my balls.
    lolz

Nothing is free. Tell us what did you have to do for these. There's always a catch.

Red monkey are pretty cool jeans if you like the fit but they don't sell for shit. What do you mean faux selvedge? Be careful, because they fake the shit out of these. I koped a real pair before. I always leave the non selvedge.

2 people like this.
  2. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior member

I have doubles of the COW ones, yes, it has cows! So if you want one, send me a pm:)

3. Amercs

Amercs Active Member

The story of how the pen came into my possession is this. A few weeks ago I was walking from my parking garage to my office, there was this dude in front of me and I saw the pen drop, so I call out to the guy. He spent five minutes telling me this wasn't his pen and he hasn't seen it before and getting mad at me for claiming it was his. I said ok sir, have a good day. I get into work and call the security office of the parking garage and tell them I found this pen, they said to drop it off at there lost and found, I left them my number to call me if nobody comes to get it... one month later I have a free Monte Blanc pen.

6 people like this.
  4. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

i'm surprised no one has ripped you a new one for the amount of "this anything" posts that you seem to conjure up lately. the denim, if it's not selvedge, leave it. even if it was selvedge, unless you KNOW it's real, leave it. I can't say for sure, but there's probably as much RMC fakes out there as there is evisu [/quote] I just checked my post count to make sure I wasn't drunk posting without remembering. I made 2 posts asking whether I should buy something (this and the varsity jacket). I made 1 post asking if something fit me. I made one post asking the history of a brand for something I already bought. Everything else was stuff I actually bought. I asked a bunch of questions on the eBay thread which was probably a little overboard, but I'm a cautious person and want to tread lightly considering how people constantly complain about how pro-buyer eBay policies are. If the stuff in this thread is overboard, too, I apologize and I'll rip myself a new asshole for you. And I'll stick to what I know for now. I'm know I've already made some mistakes in what I've bought, which I hope I'll learn from. But I've only spent maybe $75 total so far which is not breaking the bank, even if I take a bath on the stuff to sell.
    Fake selvage = bias taped edges.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

she was feeling photogenic today

14 people like this.
  6. double00

double00 Senior member

i can see your car's aura

7. LetsGetWeird

LetsGetWeird Senior member

Legit check please! True thrift at $3 so worth it for me...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  9. double00

double00 Senior member

copped in bricnbrac today:

[​IMG]
    soft vinyl case, whatever. but thin? and arched top? hmmm...

[​IMG]
    ah yes, the garish plush synchilla lining of the vintage "good brand" case. gibson uses a bunch of cotton candy colors.

[​IMG]
    yeah, it's upside down. but this is in fact a case for a vintage gibson sg. need to figure out a date but shouldn't be too difficult.

[​IMG]
    ha ha. love forensic evidence. this case is actually in good shape, probably the guitar shattered on a garage floor. total bill from 1991? $284.90. fuck lol.

tidbit for my thrifters: obviously there's a strong market for vintage guitars, but they often don't come with the original or era-appropriate case. check CL, ebay, and reverb you'll see that there is a market for these and would you believe there are grail cases?

http://guitars.com/inventory/mf8138-c-1924-gibson-f-5-case-loar

yes thrifters, that is a $10,000 mandolin case. what do you figure the instrument that goes with it is worth? lol good new cases at true thrift are a pickup but as always do a little homework and check condition.

4 people like this.
  10. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  11. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Couple nice squares. Playing around with the Jesse Thorn display mode.

Arnys Paris silk/cash
    [​IMG]

Finamore linen
    [​IMG]

Cuccinelli cash
    [​IMG]

22 people like this.
  12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I'd rather pay for a thrifted Montblanc pen than get a Monte Blanc for free...but that's just me. :)

13. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Recent Southwick light blue chambray 3-roll-2 sport coat. 44R. Passed on this last month. It was still there today and on sale. Looks like it was barely worn. No staining of the white lining whatsoever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

That's some work well rewarded. I had a Oxxford jacket from a couPle weeks back and went back y.esterday to fins the pants. Did find two pair of Oxxford pants but neither matched. What made me sick was that the pants were likely there when the jackets were available because I recognized the name in the pants from other suits I had kopped two weeks ago. Now the jackets are gone and I am thinking ...what could have been.

1 person likes this.
  15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Spent most of the day holiday shopping; made the mistake of going to Lenox Square Mall to buy some gifts at Brooks Brothers and spent more time getting into and out of the parking lot than actually in the mall. Madness, the weekend before Xmas.

The Lenox TJ Maxx had some snappy shit - Kiton, Cucinelli, RLPL, RLBL, Zegna Couture, Loro Piana, Saint Laurent leather bags, etc...including some RLBL Italy Nantucket red cotton blazers for $250 (with original tags @ $1250). Did not kop.

Did hit Goodwill and found a few things tho:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  16. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

17. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

This sounds like a Curb Your Enthusiasm ep...Larry:"what do you mean its not your pen,I ckearly saw it fall from your hand " hilarity ensues etc...

6 people like this.
  18. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Brand new Asolo Reston WP in my size
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pair Polk lsi9
    [​IMG]

Eng Tay
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  19. bpk1

bpk1 Senior member

In the field, have no experience with bikes but this thing looks interesting.. Little data avail on the bay :

Atala giro d'italia - worth it at $45? not worth flipping at $45
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apologies for lack of spoilers/rotation issues, posting from phone! Thanks in advance.

20. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Mine was a Trusport. 650? Maybe?

It was probably in a little better condition, and I can't remember if it was player endorsed. I just remember it selling quickly haha.