Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

its 445am and that tom ford jacket just fucked up my entire day

2. Letric

Letric Senior member

Struck Gold tonight. Literally:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24K Gold Plated Brass. $7.

Was at a store tonight doing a return. Did a quick scan of the store and had grabbed a couple other belts, a Lands End Toggle Coat, J.crew Selvedge Chambray shirt (pop), and 1 record album. I was walking past some aisles on my way to the register, and something caught my eye. At the end of the aisles they have these little baskets with misc. crap in them... Socks, underwear, gloves, etc. I saw that big fatty belt buckle hanging out, and decided to take a gander. I immediately noticed how heavy and thick the buckle was. I examined it for makers marks and saw "Bianchi 1902 General Officer's..." and decided it was cool and tossed it into my basket.

I decided to look it up on my phone before purchasing, and found some completed listings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Arm...943122?hash=item1a077f7492:g:RGoAAOSwT5tWGsFi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-BIA...Belt-Buckle-Belt-G100-G115-1911-/321631468798

Now the 2nd link is for a belt with holster and mag pouch, but I was still very excited when I saw those numbers. I THEN noticed it said "24K GP" on the back of the buckle lol. I yelled a very audible "FUCK YES" in the middle of the store, and proceeded to walk up to the registers with the biggest smile on my face. I'm not sure if I want to sell it, cause it's so fucking badass... But if I did, it would be worth AT LEAST 10x what I payed, seeing as a tarnished brass buckle sold for more than that in the 1st link.
    [​IMG]

3. DanM

DanM Senior member

#cincinnatiThrifting

Wtf. Did not kop.

[​IMG]

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Damnit, I was hoping to get in before you saw this.

Pet your mink, dude. It'll all be better.

I feel you. Paid more for slashed Dior than most people do for consignment shop finds.

5. dhazard

dhazard Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Robert Talbott King's Shropshire Light Infantry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Makers

[​IMG]

Robert Talbott for US Golf Association

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luciano Barbera

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wool Challis by Rivetz Of London

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zegna

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ted Baker London X3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Deedz

Deedz Active Member

I had a pretty good day yesterday so I figured i'd throw up some pics and a little background. I have been hitting some of the same thrifts lately and have been pretty much striking out so I decided to hit some brand new ones on a different side of town and see what I could find.

A few stops in I started finding some stuff to pull the trigger on. I have been wanting an unstructured sports coat so I was pretty excited when I found this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I keep going and notice some lining that caught my eye.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I finish up at the suit sports coat area and head to the pants to see if I can find the pants to the Kiton... no luck even after 2 times through the pants. Then I checked the size, it's my size. I'm going to have to head back because who doesn't need a staple Kiton in their closet?

I also found my first Oxxford tie which I guess makes up for the tons of Oxxford orphans I find here. The Jos A Bank is for personal use.
    [​IMG]

I keep going and after striking out at a few stores I hit one that doesn't have anything organized. I get kind of pissed because it's pretty annoying sifting through millions of crappy t-shirts to try to find something good. I decide to cherry pick this sports coat caught my eye.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    POP! it fits too, just when I was wanting an unstructured sports coat I find 2. I just need to shorten the sleeves and i'm good to go. Right next to it was something else that looked pretty nice and that distinct "made in Italy" tag always gets my heart pumping.
    [​IMG]
    Brioni- Cashmere with some silk and linen. It also comes pretty close to fitting except for the super long arms and it being a little tight in the waist. I hope there's enough seam allowance to bring it out a bit.
    I then grabbed these boots
    [​IMG]
    Tweed by Cheaney Jodhpurs in 10uk.

I went to check out and found out that everything was $2 because it was an outlet type store. I guess the disorganization has its benefits.

Overall a pretty good day. I'm still just crossing my fingers I can find the pants to the Kiton.

8. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

Holy crap man. Nice post.

9. Woofa

Woofa Senior member

Yeah, I think I can speak for everyone here that finding Cucinelli, Kiton and Brioni for $2 each signals a pretty good day.

But the best part is that when I went to the Classic Menswear page on the way here your post got cut off as:

I had a pretty good day yesterday so I figured i'd throw up...

No need to make yourself sick although I can tell you that on a day when I find Cucinelli/Kiton/Brioni it might look like I was sick or maybe the Joker as you won't be able ot get the smile off my face...

Good luck finding the pants.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015

10. Deedz

Deedz Active Member

Haha! Yeah, no throwing up for me. Pretty much just wanting to shorten the sleeves on that Cucinelli and wear it for the next year straight.

11. Tradvocate

Tradvocate Senior member

It does but I ordered a new needle for it and I want to make sure all is well first. If you are interested I'll send you a PM once the needle arrives. I have three turntables and only need one.

12. Woofa

Woofa Senior member

Great finds. The Cucinelli in particular is an amazing find. I have yet to see that tag in the wild.

13. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Denim fans get ready to lose ur shit.BNWT too

14. double00

double00 Senior member

there's gotta be a better way...

15. vexco

vexco Senior member

This is a good haul by my normal standards. Everything available since I have too much as it is!

Top left to bottom: Robert Talbott Carmel, D&G Basic, Brioni, Zegna(linen), Zenga(75% cotton, 25% linen). All size L from same donor.

[​IMG]

Geoff Nicholson(never heard of before but tie is amazing), Zegna, Charvet, Charvet, Zegna

[​IMG]

Zegna, Zegna, Zegna, Zegna, Armani

[​IMG]

Paul Stuart gray flannel chalkstripe suit. 41L.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]