1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. WillWork4Coffee

WillWork4Coffee Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suit jacket or SC? I was leaning towards the former with the 4-button sleeves and pockets but looks at BB site, they have windowpane SCs with 4-button sleeves and V cut bottoms at the buttons...

1 person likes this.
  3. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

4. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

1 person likes this.
  5. rhz5001

rhz5001 Senior member

Def Sport Coat

2 people like this.
  6. WillWork4Coffee

WillWork4Coffee Active Member

Thanks! 41R - mostly NA

7. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

8. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

@RStreit27 Hermes looks real.

On a related note: A buddy I introduced to thrifting sent me an "Is this real?" text tonight. I got it just as I was walking into a store. Before I could respond, I saw him at the tie rack with an amazing Hermes tie. Beat me by two minutes. Couldn't help but think, "If only I had kept my mouth shut."

3 people like this.
  9. vexco

vexco Senior member

Next time, just say no!

4 people like this.
  10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I know the feeling all too well. I have a friend that I wish I never turned on to thrifting. Doubt he ever set foot in a thrift store before he met me. Created my own competition. :facepalm:

2 people like this.
  11. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

It's nice to share the thrill of the hunt with someone. But yeah, in the future, probably smartest just to do that here with you guys :)

1 person likes this.
  12. Mr G from SD

Mr G from SD Senior member

I had a buddy in college that I would go thrifting with. We made a pretty good team because he wore a small and I'm a xxl. Plus, he didn't care about ties so that was great.

For now I prefer to not tell people I thrift a lot of my items. They can just figure I'm rich [​IMG] This is a solo operation.

3 people like this.
  13. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Tag-teaming definitely has its advantages. And there is enough goodness to go around.

But I'd be lying if I said it didn't sting a little now and then when they find something especially awesome. Only a little though.

14. vexco

vexco Senior member

I don't have anyone here who's interested in learning. My cousin is a bum and even he refuses to put in the time to learn so whatever.

I have told a couple of other flippers I see at stores about brands they weren't aware of and passed over, though.

15. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Y U no make NBHD A???!!!

Lol, I can't imagine people wearing suits with that pattern. If its an orphan, it's still very sportcoatable.

Lol, the only person I've taught how to thrift is my wife. I've kept my mouth zipped. This thread has single handedly created tons of flippers including a bunch of good folks, here. The rest of the interwebz don't need my help. [​IMG]

16. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Senior member

My brother told a friend of ours about me thrifting. That night he texts me saying he bought a bunch of stuff and thinks he wasted 20 bucks so he wanted to ask me if he got anything good. He bought a crappy old typewriter and some mugs. I didn't say a word about what to look for. He hasn't asked since. Fine with me!

17. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

NICE! My favorite find of the year was a PRL polo coat. In fact, I recently got it back from Rave Fabricare. Two months and $150 later it looks brand new. Going to my folks today to gift it to Poppa Long Legs. That lucky SOB, he's getting the polo coat, a Brioni flannel suit and NWT Berle seersucker pants as early Xmas gifts.

Busy week so didn't get out much. Did score this Zegna jacket. NA for now.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  18. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

[​IMG]

Some good filler for the expanding collection, two more Christmas albums (Raffi Christmas still reigns supreme, though) and a pretty rare Bobby Hutcherson album.

I've been out of commission while in Idaho for Thanksgiving. Anyone get their secret santa stuff yet?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

Not thrift, but super, super discounted plus an extra 30% for the Black Friday weekend. Trying to decide whether I can pull this thing off, even though it fits like a glove.

Hand painted Schott G1 bomber in brown cowhide. Made in USA (are all Schotts?). This was part of the Schott pop-in@nordstrom collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also picked up a pair of Incotex cords, pair of Billy Reid chinos, and a few dress shirts for super cheap.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    5 people like this.
  20. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

Are these ties a thing? Can't recall seeing many posted here but eBay looks like it?

[​IMG]

Also passed on these shoes but was cool to see and a Canadian regiment jacket. Also passed on this Versace. Did I mess up?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]