1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Shoulder buttons, wot.

Thanks borbor, but i'm good!

2. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Few things from the past week:

Actually this one's a couple weeks old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17 people like this.
  3. LetsGetWeird

LetsGetWeird Senior member

Zegna tags = authentic (and sexy AF). I always wondered whether the "jacket" tag meant it was definitely an SC. Thanks for clearing that up!

4. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

nvm

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  5. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

ChetB this ones for you...pre Knoll,Gavina made in Italy.

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  6. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Senior member

Nashville buds, in town for a couple days over the holidays. Would love any recommendations on areas/locations to hit.

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Prince's Hot Chicken Shack
    Crema Coffee

1 person likes this.
  8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I did.

Agree to disagree on the jacket.

Appreciate the compliment on my Tumblr.

St. Andrews (branded St. Andrews, as opposed to St. Andrews for RLPL, where RLPL is the selling point) is extremely high quality but doesn't command the price it should -- sort of like Oxxford except that it doesn't have a weird gorge that would explain it.
    Every once in a while you get lucky, but even on non orphans you have to be careful.

If the herringbone is more of a worsted texture -- flat pile -- then it's an orphan and at that price I'd leave it. If it's closer to a tweed or shetland texture, then you may have a separate on your hands. In that case, I'd probably buy it but that's really only on principle to avoid a separate of that quality from going to the Great Ragmaker in the Sky. From an ROI perspective, it's a dicegame, even on a separate.

1 person likes this.
  9. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Dude you're killing me. [​IMG] So jealous.

[​IMG]

10. Takai

Takai Senior member

If you want to grab coffee or some such feel free to hit me up.

1 person likes this.
  11. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

All that info is useful but with St. Andrews, you can just look at the tag, blazers have the internal fabric composition, usually cupro listed, whereas Suit Jackets, will have a line for the jacket lining which again, is usually cupro, and then under it will have a line stating the pants lining, which is always cotton. Saves some time, but good advice on not picking up either way, I used to pick it up because of RLPL but it has zero secondary market value despite quality. It's like Chester Barrie to a certain extent except CB will sell, just not for what it should or what its worth....and I will also never pass on a CB piece regardless, unless if its an orphan obviously.

1 person likes this.
  12. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

What you have there my friend is a dope 100% authentic Gucci suit (even though the tag says Jacket weirdly, but the pants obviously go...whatever regardless..)
    Zegna has been manufacturing for Gucci forever, they have also done/do Rive Gauche, Tom Ford, Gianni Versace, and others..

What you don't have, although details may dictate otherwise, is a Tom Ford piece. Zegna started using those plasticy type tags post 2004, Ford left in 2004. If it has that tag, it ain't his.

3 people like this.
  13. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

If the Zegna tag says Jacket, it's an SC 100% of the time. This must have been a factory error when printing, I've never seen this error before and the amount of Zegna tags I've looked at is absurd.

1 person likes this.
  14. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

Not clothes, but look at this remarkable pair of Rosemeade salt and pepper shakers. The only flaw is a tiny chip under the hoof of the bull. True thrift pricing, because...it's just little cheapo salt shakers, right?

[​IMG]

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Unless the jacket and the pants were sold separately as separates….

3 people like this.
  16. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

The separates rack never even occurred to me. Good call.

Edit: Wait though...if manufactured as a separate, it would still be intended to be worn with it's match, it's just on the separates rack because that rack is for people whose bodies don't work out proportionally as far as how traditional drops and suit sizing works right? In that case either way they are being manufactured in order to be part of a suit, just needing to be matched with a disproportionate partner, right?...... as you may be able to tell, I have never browsed a separates rack, but that's what my preconceived notion is as far as seeing them and knowing of their existence is concerned.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  17. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Aside from business cloths, I've seen lots of "fashion" places market "fun" suits as separates. Be it to wear alone, or for pricing - sometimes these cloths are very expensive and its easier to sell a 4,000 dollar jacket and then a 1200 pair of pants than a 5200 suit. Also for sizing yes. You won't see this on any classic cloths, but you will on cashmeres, bold prints, etc.

18. rhz5001

rhz5001 Senior member

I see separates at the stores I frequent.. Savers, Goodwill, and Salvation Army. I usually see a lot of pinstripe separates.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. SpooPoker

those are marketed to an entirely different audience.

20. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Clubbing pinstripes....if we could make this popular again...just saying..

2 people like this.