1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Jompso

Jompso Distinguished Member

All this.

I have an individual for whom I sell clothing and he works in a industry that essentially has 3 main hubs LA, Vegas, and Miami, so he is travelin to Vegas and Miami all the time, sometimes for as long as 2 weeks at a time, so all he does with his free time, from what I gather is quite a bit, is thrift. I've been working with him for a fw months now and have probably recieved half of what he's got, being roughly 250 pieces or so, and he has given me one item that truly says Vegas, and was thrifted there. It was a brand new Versace mainline by Zegna blazer that had a silver shiny pigment dye coating I believe. I also think silver dyed wool was used as well...the thing was fucking wild. In general though, he finds stuff at thrifts out there, but it's decent stuff that you could be doing well and find at any thrift in a major city across this country. One would assume, like myself,with how loose people are with their shit out there as far as partying and gambling and related activitives are concerned, you would think that place would be litered with awesome thrift finds. Just not the case. I know there's a quite large 2nd hand/consignment shop that does operate out of Vegas, looking through their inventory and you can kinda see what's going on. Get Drunk. Buy Kiton. Party. Wake Up. Check Pocket. Kiton Boutique for 10 grand explaining awesome jacket you thought you found the night before. Finding it sounded way better. Take a trip to this place and fix the problem.

Consignment industry is big, as is any other industry out there in which you can either get money immediately for your things or you can get money eventually. People aren't donating their Kiton shit after they just gambled the kids college funds away...time to consign

2. snackbandit

snackbandit Senior Member

Not true thrift. Deep discount/e-thrift out of Ukraine [​IMG]

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Distinguished Member

Bros, here's the second part of my pics dump!

Tokyo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[​IMG]

I fucking miss eggs like this! it was fucking delicious and has orange yoke!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kinda creepy...

[​IMG]

jungle crows!

[​IMG]

so fucking epic! but i didn't want to line up for hours just to see this. the line was crazy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was a very accurate scale.

[​IMG]

another reason i why i love japan so much is every corner you turn there lie little scenic places such as this one. i could stare at it for hours...well, not to sound like a stalker dude.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

love these ally ways!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is a very famous and super old tai-yaki place but after walking for 3 miles to get here, its fucking closed...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

love these vines!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was a temple/preschool...woa...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i guess the staff got creep out by me talking pics of the preschool so she closed the door shortly after i left...the japanese are very particular about their privacy.

[​IMG]

i would love to live in a cute house like this!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bomb ass shave ice place but right as we get to the door, they ran out of ice...wtf...i think they discriminated us not because they were racist but we were clearly tourist/gaijins, so they didn't want to deal with us...fuck...we were 0-2 on this day...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

vintage astro boy and his chick. japanese love their vintage shit!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this place was pretty good. we stayed there after we ate our food and paid the shop keep. in japan, after you eat, pay, you leave. it's not very japanese to sit after you've paid even when you are the only customer in the shop. you got go go go to fit in with the locals especially in tokyo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is how you buy food in most ramen places. pretty neat and easy to use. well, you gotta understand what the fuck you are ordering. i read chinese so reading the kanji was helpful. also, get pocket wifi and use google translator is a must.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

went to a bomb ass soba place to eat dinner!!!! so fucking good!!!!!

[​IMG]

bus chan!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

really really really really really fucking good ramen!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

clam down! this was only a hotel!

[​IMG]
    wtf! a bouquet of bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a cat cafe!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

resell shop! usually japanese shops don't allow pics. but i was sneaky...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ichiran! they have really good ramen but at this point, we were all ramen out..

[​IMG]
    so fucking good but so fucking expensive!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the black general burger king burger...did not try...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shinjuku park, i think... love this park! this is like the center of tokyo or somehting. you can see all the surrounding neighborhoods in that park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

robot restraunt. this was the seedy part of shinkjuku where it used to be bad enough that you don't want be walking around here at night. but since then, japan has passed anti yakuza laws and the police have cleaned up the place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

literally back allies of shinkjuku and it was around here you can score soft drugs. drugs are super hard to score in japan. my friend who has been living in tokyo for 10 years, he knows places like these better than the locals, even.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    woa, dude...

[​IMG]

hostess bar billboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

is was around here some yakuza members tried to get me into some bar...no thanks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

calico cat cafe! you pay for the cover charge for $10 so pet these cats for an hour. you can have a drink.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

shibuya scramble cross walk near hachiko statue.
    [​IMG]

we listerally lived off of this 100 yen store for a few days. lol they accept credit cards! yada!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

hachiko-kun! the real hachiko was stuffed after he died...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it was on a monday so not nearly as many people crossing. i got the best view on the second story of the starbucks.
    [​IMG]
    ahahaha you know who this is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i said fuck it and took pics. dont' care. but the comme des garcon store employee won't even allow me to talk a pic of the fucking sign on the wall! fuck that shit!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NBHD shibuya flagship store!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

love this!

[​IMG]

how crazy is that?! supreme store on top of the NBHD store!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these people make clothes for men who wants to dress like skinny women...only you can see what the employees were wearing...super andro-urban ninja status.

[​IMG]

Lad Musician near jingumae! thanks for pointing the way! This was in Harakuju, i think. Harajuku and shipbuya are very close, in walking distance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its a gundam!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is how rich ass people who live in shibuya do their front porch...fucking love it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kojima jeans! I koped a 2xl indigo paisley shirt right off of the dummy! it was the last one they had in my size! lucky!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fuck yes! the bounty hunter store! super small but super cool. but i don't think i want to pay top dollar to dress up like a cholo. yes, that is a thing in japan...this is where i got my free Bounty Hunter fan from!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

japanese love everything vintage americana.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hot toys in shibuya! near the bape kids store.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fuck, it was closed when we went there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this fucking place was fuckign awesome! it beats the shit out of the rrl store! they had lots of vintage american piece and their repro. clothes were fucking epic and expensive as shit...no pics of the store so i took pics of the store itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

came back and saw some dude pissing in the alley...charming...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fucking got lost on the way to haversack flagshit store...oh well...shit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was an epic dining experience! so trad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bus chan!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vintage japanese sushi was way bigger than what we have now because it was peasant food where you can eat it on the run and keep you full.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was a balloon bomb the japanese military used to try to reach usa during world war 2. one killed like 5 people in oregon. only a few made it to shore.

[​IMG]

this was a random ass store on the side of the road. japan has no zoning laws so random ass stores appear out of nowhere!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sf sucks because these pics are out of sync! but this was the Kapital store in Ebisu called Blue Hands! Fucking had to sneak a few pics in. My favorite brand is Kapital and I'll explain why in the next post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

again pics out of sync...fuck you, sf!

[​IMG]

this was the Kapital Legs store in Ebisu a few blocks from the Blue Hands store...Why so close? Not sure but fucking epic!!!! Only if you had been there!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

again, random ass full count store in a neighborhood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kapital Blue Hands!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

century denim with persimions dye. aged to perfection.

[​IMG]

pics out of sync...fuck you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yes, these are products...fucking love Kapital!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

met the shop keep and he got a master sewing award from the CEO of the company. Can't pronounce his name in English.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I asked him to do a cheesy pose and he did! What a cool dude! I spent like over an hour trying on clothes and speaking to him in broken japanese. lolz google translator helps a lot!

[​IMG]

went back to Kapital Legs and koped more stuff. so my thing is trying out clotehs and talk to folks and take pics with them and add them on facebook! success! yes, those are vintage boro fabric made Kapital clothes that are hanging on the back wall. I felt so under dressed here...

[​IMG]

hair bands for women so eating food would not stain your hair! they've thought of everything!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

took pics while on bus to shibuya from our airbnb.

[​IMG]

this is what you do when there are no seat covers...i actuallyed used the womens' bathroom and some chick was giving me the "oh look a hentai" eye after i got out of the toilet...opps...

[​IMG]

tokyo station!

[​IMG]

Oyakodon so good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

banana chan! good bye tokyo!

next post, Osaka! Where the 5 origianl denim big 5 came from!

bros, the conveninent store food was so fucking good in japan! it puts ours to shame...japanese demand quality goods and their quality of life is so much higher than ours.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

4. freehand

freehand Senior Member

Fantastic pics, thanks for posting those barrel

5. suited

suited Distinguished Member

Outlet stuff. Bought 3 of the solid blue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pop - RLBL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. hooker4186

hooker4186 Distinguished Member

Was waiting for a dinner reservation last night and hit up a BE. All N/A

Rogue Territory Stantons
    [​IMG]

Apolis indigo Chore Coat x2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Best for last, Apolis 5 pocket CPO. wool mink cashmere blend. Fits perfect and is toasty AF.
    [​IMG]

7. Woofa

Woofa Senior Member

One of the things I love about this thread is the great variance of personalities as well as knowledge and niche specialties. I think that most of us have developed a particular love of menswear. But even for those who are mainly doing this for the money or for the enjoyment of the hunt, this thread brings us together and makes us all better as a group then we could be individually.
    Personally, I like the clothes and this is slowly becoming love. Part of the reason for this is that for the first time I have actually seen and handled some of the quality workmanship that most people will never even know exists. Seeing hauls from some of you allows me to get a glimpse into the kind of quality only the truly wealthy have ever known.
    But for me it is still the thrill of the hunt at this stage. Like many of you I can tell you that the thrill I get from working my way down a rack and seeing a pattern or texture approaching which I now know will be something special definitely gets my blood pumping. Finding that Kiton gave me a high which lasted for days (and thanks to Jompso I was able to convert it into a Kiton now sitting in my own closet.) True, I may not find very many pieces like that but hope springs eternal and, at least so far, I still walk into each thrift stop with the thought in my mind, this could be the thriftening.
    I hope this thread continues to thrive as it is a community I am no longer certain I could live without.[​IMG]

8. Woofa

Woofa Senior Member

Clearly you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. This was meant for me to find (at least assuming it fits,) and you should immediately give us deets so that we can put it back in its proper home (my closet,) and help put the universe back on track.

9. TJGent87

TJGent87 Senior Member

10. Woofa

Woofa Senior Member

Okay, that was my bad. I misread your original post to say:

"What did I do to find something like this!!!"

I had the impression you had thrifted it, sorry. And of course, really sorry that you did not in fact thrift this beautiful jacket.

11. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

@barrelntrigger pics are amazing, especially the cat pics and gardens. gonna change my avatar to ScissorDick lol

12. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Distinguished Member

I still have not found a Kiton. I can't wait. Seriously I CANNOT wait any longer! Someone please donate a Kiton in Wichita, Kansas OR have one for sale at an Estate Sale.

I have found many other amazing finds such as:

Something Vicuna
    Oxxford
    Tom Ford (it was a tie and it was trashed)
    B. Cucinelli (unfortunately I was in Houston at the time and they wanted $200 and at the time I had no idea how much $$$ they were)
    Shell Cordovan (not on a weekly basis like @capnwes )
    Something from Savile Row (Still want to find a suit)
    NWT Gucci
    Attolini
    Luciano Barbera Sartoriale
    Brioni
    Dior Homme
    Chanel
    Manolo Blahnik
    Cartier
    Rolex
    Jimmy Choo
    Ferragamo

Tramezza
    Church's Pre Prada
    Genuine Alligator/Croc shoes
    Zegna Napoli
    Armani (new stuff)
    BBGF
    Canali
    Corneliani

Ermenegildo Zegna Couture
    NWT Hickey Freeman
    Lanvin (the good kind)
    Paul Smith
    Polo Made in Italy

Ralph Lauren Purple Label
    Paul Stuart
    Ravazzolo
    Samuelsohn
    Vestimenta
    Pal Zileri the good line
    YSL

Waterford
    Dunhill
    Baccarat
    Bruno Magli
    Prada
    Louis Vuitton
    Tod's
    Crockett and Jones
    G&G

And others I can't remember

Still waiting to find

Shell Cordovan Briefcase
    John Lobb
    Kiton
    Tom Ford that isn't ruined
    Something other than a Sweater from Savile Row
    Christian Loubitin
    Louis Vuitton for Men
    Any single item of Clothing that I sell on ebay for $1000 or more
    Louis Vuitton Trunk

And more I don't even know about or can't think of now.

13. dukedishin

dukedishin Distinguished Member

I have three within 5 minutes of my house. I think I've gone twice in 5 years.

14. Koala-T

Koala-T Distinguished Member

15. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Since joining this thread i have found:

Denims. an endless supply of Denims.

An Affinity with Military garments.

Suits can be fun.

every man needs a grill

Japanese Dive watches rule.

nobody has posted a "Hypercolor" that works yet. or Hammer pants.

Jompso can type

many of us enjoy a chat on here after a few beverages

some epic style, completely organic.

if you ever need a friend, there is always one (Many) here.

Beards

we actually thrift anything, and everything

Waffle House

always a deal to be had. a story to share, a shoulder to weep on, and plenty of LOLZ.

"Time Gentlemen Please"

Stay awesome, All of you.