The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

2. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

DAMN! I would be proud of that too. All that Oxxford and HF Goodness (I do love Oxxford. It's not even as valuable as other stuff that we all find. But, I have really like Oxxford for myself. I think they are some of the most well made suits in the world. Plus, I still remember the first time I bought a suit for thrift prices and it sold for over $300. That was a big first for me and it was an Oxxford.) Nice Haul!

3. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Damnit! 11.5? I love those shoes. But, I have like 5 pair of Black vintage Florsheim wingtips (and several more in other colors), so I must resist!

4. vexco

vexco Senior member

Some of the best made shoes ever! If you change your mind, they'll be here. They're in great shape [​IMG]

5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Anyone know what I'm looking at here?

[​IMG]

6. vexco

vexco Senior member

Looks like a hunting jacket with the shell pockets on there.

7. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

That would be a Vintage Brooks Brothers Safari Jacket and if it's cheap, you should be buying it, especially if it's American made. Thatll probably make you a few bucks for sure, they seem to be quite rare.

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

:laugh:

You know you're my bro and all, but you and this guy have a lot in common.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015

9. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I wouldn't say bat shit crazy necessarily, but I wouldn't say your making good business decisions, or something along those lines. I don't know what your cost is for these BB suits, but if its fairly standard thrift prices, even higher end thrift prices, the return is far more than enough to make them worth your investment. I am strictly talking about the Golden Fleece Line and the 1818 Line, the Fitzgeral, Madison, then Regent, order of most profitable to least, however this detail is fairly insignificant, because if paths are cross they all should be acquired. Now I haven't sold very many in the last 90 days, however I do have quite a few in my stock room on the racks, waiting for their day to shine. When that day does come I can promise you that it will be very short and result it a very sizable profit margin, in other words the turnover ratio of these suits cannot be beat and margin of profit is substantial to say the least. I recently sold a 100% cotton 1818 Fitsgerald for 200, yes 100% cotton, a BBGF made in Italy by Isaia w/ Zegna wool for well over 2 and i know i went way too low there, a 1818 Regent blazer, just he blazer for 120, and a GF blazer by Greenfield w/ LP 130 wool for 240....that is just most recent. If its Brooks Brothers and its made in Italy, always check for manufacturers tag, theres a small change you'll find Isaia, and that very little rectangular one is Isaia, back when they were making customized special mini versions of their tags for Brooks Brothers, but there's even a greater percetnage that you'll find a Lardini tag. If neither of these are found, then use your own discretion, not my call. General rules of thumb though, if its made in the US or if its made in Italy and its Golden Fleece or its 1818 series, you pay money for it. allways. The more recent, obviously the better, if it looks really dated then don't. Treat the purchase as you would any other and use your own discretion, but if there in a condition you deem to be at the very least good and wearable and very much sellable then you should very much make the purchase if you like making good money very much. Your call.

10. SCoNE

SCoNE Senior member

PM'd

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

It really depends on who catches your listing - the main part is because there is soooo much BB out there, nobody is going to sift through all of it.

12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Agreed. I've got a pile I haven't gotten to just because it can sit a while before Mr. Right comes along. The navy brass button blazers usually go at a decent clip in popular sizes.

13. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

Zegna shearling to go please...
    [​IMG]

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I will give you the far less capitalistic explanation of why BBGF/MG matters, and why I was so upset.

MG was, for a time, one of the only two Class 6 RTW makers in the USA, the other being Oxxford. They went through a bit of a rebuilding period, where quality dipped, but arguably they were at Oxxford level.
    We've already had the discussion about "oooh, Oxxford is so dated. I leave it behind and just pass it. It's a waste of my time. I hate finding it." And I ranted about it. These things are sartorial pieces of art. DOZENS of hours of hand sewing by MASTER tailors who have spent THOUSANDS of hours perfecting their craft went into these garments. If you do this because you love clothing -- and I do -- it should be a wonder and a joy to touch every single one, whether they're worth a mint or a penny. Take Spoo's haul from the other day. Who knows whether some of those pieces will command huge sums. But they're fucking museum pieces. It gives me goosebumps to think of finding some of that shit. I couldn't care if it made me a penny.

MG is not quite at that level. But nor should it have been massacred like that, needlessly and wantonly. It should have commanded more respect.

15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I personally don't feel the same way about clothing - I can appreciate it what goes into some of it, but beyond that it's not my jam.

However, I can rant on about something like this:

[​IMG]