The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

I've been working in the restaurant industry for 15 years and you wouldn't believe the things people think they are allergic to. Some are quite comical. Like being allergic to portobello mushrooms but not Cremini (baby portobellos)

2. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Holy Shit. I was a little busy this weekend and was in Court all day yesterday and I am almost 40 freaking pages behind!

Just thinking about all the brags I have missed and will be viewing this afternoon has me very excited!

I hope there was some thriftening!

EDIT: Has the thrifted Rolex shown up yet?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015

3. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

Zegna is an orphan. Darkshadows are sweet.

4. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

[​IMG]

luv u jompso

5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I got a bit overexcited when I saw this hanging in a thrift shop this morning!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Utilikilt, and kits in general, have been on my radar since I came back from a trip to Scotland in January 2008. This is the first time I've found one in a thrift. And it's a mint condition original model!

6. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Wool possess the ability to insulate better then any other proten fiber there is in clothing production, however its ability to withstand the elements goes much further than that, not only is this fiber naturally resistant to wanter and hard to penetrate with wind but it has the ability to regulate temperatures to suit your desire. That and it has amazing whicking abilities, two things that work together. When you get really warm when wearing wool you will sweat and although its a water resistent fabric, it will still strip the whick away sweat, now if your sweating because you were just in 20 degrees and walked into a heated building thats 75 with heavy wool on, you may start to bead up and sweat, well being warm may be ok cuz its freezing outside buta time comes that your still wet and you gota go back outside. Worry not, wool also possesses the ability to not only wick or draw water and moisture off and away from your body, but when it is went and the fabric is cold, it actaully generates heat that will heat this moisture up, evaporating it and drying you up. Wool is a super interesting fabric. It happens to be the only fabric that with continued treatments has the ability to never stop constricted with small spair fibers and hot water it will just shrink forever, however the elasticity is better, stronger and more expansive then any other protein fiber also, Alll making wool a magical garment....I say all of this because I too was allergic to plated metals too, watch made my wrst red, so I got a gold watch, i like being allergic to plated haha.

7. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Unlike those people, i actually have an insane red rash to show for it. which is why @Takai now has one of my fave Tweeds from a small Japanese Tailor. and while we are on fabrics, including synthetics. I am offering an item from my own collection to you guys.

It is my Buzz Rickson's MA-1 Flight Jacket. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

it needs a good home, and i need the money for real world stuff. so i am willing to let it go for the price i Kopped it at. NWT, before wearing it only a handful of times. size Large. but fits a size 38 perfectly.

If nobody is interested in it, it will go on the bay next time i list stuff. it hurts to see this go. but like others on here, i have plenty of jackets to keep me warm. so jump on the cheapest one of these ever posted. PM if you need this in your life.

8. noob15

noob15 Senior member

Is that Karakul? I saw something very similar to that in Kazakhstan a few years ago.

9. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

You possess every right to do so and your choice is noones but your own. Dont need it or don want it? no offense is taken by me just needd to address so knitwear topics and to also comemorate my final real rant..The time of droppin any knowlege for no reason but to try and contribute is abslutely, without a doubt, over with, you all shall be spared. You are all welcome.

10. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

If it's woven, it won't be karakul. Karakul is made from the skins of newborn Karakul lambs. The most exclusive examples are made from stillborn premature lambs - obviously this happens less frequently than killing newborns for their skins, so a coat made from premature/stillborn lamb skin is unspeakably expensive (if arguably more humane).

It almost looks like somebody boiled a boucle' fabric. I'd like to see some close-ups.

11. double00

double00 Senior member

@Jompso

i think your spoiler needs a spoiler lol.

coupla things to add: yep it's the coarseness of wool that people are allergic to, not the fiber itself. so just be the kid that drinks apple juice at recess and wear cash and solid gold watches.

my understanding is that angora goats are not actually shorn, but combed for cashmere. i wouldn't be surprised if they do shear and there are shit second cuts etc. and there are guard hairs as well, sometimes these find their way into the yarn and degrade it.

fully agree, there's a lot of crap cash out there. if it feels slippery or greasy it's crap. if it feels coarse it's crap. besides the quality of the staple fiber itself, there's a lot to be said for the skill and care with which it is spun and knit as well.

12. Doomsticks

Doomsticks Senior member

I've found several pieces, just never posted them here:(

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did someone say Karakul / Astrakhan / Persian Lamb?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Definitely liking that j peterman up there