1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Koala-T

Koala-T Distinguished Member

I'm droolin all over yo sheeeeeeeit!

But seriously, if either of those last two is a 41R.......

2. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

did you know that hudson bay was purchased by Jerry Zucker in 2003...

#americanpride

... and then ipo in 2012?

#newworldorderpride

3. Takai

Takai Senior Member

[​IMG]

4. bpk1

bpk1 Senior Member

Thought Beretta was owed that title? Founded 489 years ago, in 1526.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta

5. impuntura

impuntura Distinguished Member

Thats a private company,technically both are correct.

6. GMMcL

GMMcL Distinguished Member

I'm just shocked it's the same Hudson Bay Company I read about in history books.

--

Went out today after an important meeting. Found some stuff -- cool stuff but nothing mind erasing.

But what was really noteworthy was how much carnage there was out there. Folks may recall I've talked of having been told of competitors who will knife items they leave behind (either because the price was too high, or they just grabbed the inner tags, or whatever) so that the rest of us simply can't make money. Today it was on display as NEVER before. First, they'd taken the inner tags out of jackets. Now, you could say they were taking them to sew into other jackets of lesser value and resell. But they were ALSO taking the content tags too -- which means they were DEFINITELY erasing all trace of the maker, so we followers couldn't establish provenance in any way. And it wasn't just one jacket. It was SEVERAL in a row. Only reason I figured out they were Cantarelli eventually was they missed one. Just to cover their six, they also knifed the shoulder on most of them too. And that's what really got me annoyed -- it was the needless massacre of perfectly serviceable works of master tailoring. These were 100% cashmere (at least by feel, and definitely the one or two that had tags, one of which of THOSE was a full herringbone cashmere suit). Now, maybe I couldn't sell them. But to utterly end the useful life of that garment entirely -- what a fucking waste. The one that really killed me was the BBGF x Martin greenfield that had the front pocket literally torn vertically, like the scene from Dune when they tear Liet Kynes' still suit before sending him into the desert. Makes your balls ache.

This, gentlemen, is the biblical plague that is now my area.

Oh, and the prices still suck. Jack Victor cashmere SC will set you back nearly 2 Jacksons. So even what slips through isn't all that enticing.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015

7. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Distinguished Member

What in the fuck? You need to start knifing people who knife jackets.

8. impuntura

impuntura Distinguished Member

Cant those cashmere ones still be saved for the fabric and make some ties or squares out of it.cashmere is cashmere.
    But i can only imagine ur pain,saw a 100% cashmere ballantyne scarf today with a huge hole and nearly cried.super recent one too

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Distinguished Member

It's infuriating. The knife spots are all in the same spot on the shoulder, so it's very clearly deliberate. And I've been seeing this kind of damage for years, just not nearly at this scale. I think whatever crew does this has gotten annoyed at the uptick in competition and are trying the Saudi scorched earth approach to driving everyone out of business, or at least back out of the area. If it works, hopefully they'll stop being quite so dickish.

10. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior Member

Now that you mention this, I am putting 2 and 2 together. I saw exactly this in Chicago last week. Several in a row, one of them a super-soft brown corduroy with surgeon cuffs. I was totally baffled because all 3 or 4 were really nice aside from the fact that the tags had been torn out of them...

11. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Distinguished Member

Seriously solid haul though.

Even better posed in that wrinkled slouchy way. Gonna bug you for the size of those too, those things are sex.

That's uber fucked all the way around. I passed on a Jack Victor suit until it hit half price week and bought for $10. What are they thinking though with the slashing?? It has to be the work of one guy.

One more marathon like this and I'll be caught up on shoes. Spoilered,

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. double00

^ diors are lovely. and alden bluchers.

@GMMcL so why are they slashing coats? to send a message to the thrift staff re: pricing? i don't understand how it stifles competition when they could simply buy the clothes, rather than ruin em?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015

13. vexco

vexco Distinguished Member

I'd assume it's more "I can't afford to buy all of these so I'll make sure no one else can". It's probably just used as a tool to try to get other flippers to not come back to the store.

14. double00

huh.
    where i live if they couldn't afford em they'd just steal em.

15. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior Member

Man, that is nuts. I've seen flippers at this place, but nobody that seems like they'd be that hardcore about it. One guy I see regularly picked up, inspected, and put down some Aldens... then I swooped.