1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. diamonds

diamonds Senior member

Since you're the resident exotic skins expert, I have one more question for you. Does alligator of this age become fragile? Or is it possible that I could break down the purse down and use it the skin as material? I STILL GOT THAT RECEIPT THO.

Thanks for your insight.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

theres not much to do with that skin otherwise. Its likely dry and the only thing you would probably be able to do is make watch straps, but looking at your pics, that doesn't seem viable.

3. diamonds

diamonds Senior member

Again, thanks! Looks like I'm going back ... Maybe I'll find something for me this time ...

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Having had a go at numerous items with spots & stains, my average is about 75% success rate but getting better, and it would have paid off for this coat but for one stain that looked very weird. I always use the "spit on my finger & rub / pick at it" to give me an idea of whether it might come out....then I think about how many times I do that in one thrift and it grosses me out - what sort of crap I must be putting in my mouth after the 3rd of 4th time.

Dice rolling: I bought a pair of boots for $600 in a shop with no wifi / no cell signal...I was sweating bullets until I got a cell signal to check active & sold. Big relief (Hermes Swift Kelly riding boots, near mint condition).

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I do too.

Wait, you're talking about thrifting?

6. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Congratulations, @Ds13! All the best in the wedding planning and marriage!

I love how chatty @SpooPoker gets when he drinks.

To everyone that has recently posted a thrift fit, don't forget to quote yourself and enter it here:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/508713/thrift-thread-fit-contest-1/0_30

7. SpooPoker

lol you should see me in person

its a hoot

8. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

I have taught myself to re-knit woolen items such as Aran sweaters and other for which a reasonable color match may be made (I use crewel embroidery yarn), provided the broken stitches are not many and can be hidden in the stitch texture. A run can be fixed with a crochet hook (if the gauge of the yarn is large enough). Patterned items, however, are pretty much a loss. I have sold a number of such repaired items (with repairs noted). I have even done minor reweaving repairs with desirable vintage handwoven garments like capes. Some people love the old stuff so much that they'd rather have a repaired item than no item at all. But, Fair Isles knits are a no-go.

9. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I can understand that, I tend to be the same.

Anyone know whether this is the type of thing people love or is it nothing? I've had a lot of interest in vintage Missoni Sport pieces, but no idea on this sweatshirt. Some fraying at the collar.

[​IMG]

10. jumpman1231

jumpman1231 Senior member

I always use the "spit on my finger & rub / pick at it" to give me an idea of whether it might come out....then I think about how many times I do that in one thrift and it grosses me out - what sort of crap I must be putting in my mouth after the 3rd of 4th time.

I feel the same way except I also think how many others have already done this before I did to determine the same thing! Chances are if its nice and not gone mcrib oolong or cotoks likely spit on it already too!!! But yet I still keep doing it ha!

11. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Had to run downtown today, so hit one store.
    Understated, but awesome cotton/linen BB made in italy, new, unhemmed
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Absolutely Beautiful Pataloha. Passed over by some rack squatters.
    [​IMG]
    L-R
    Asprey, Gucci, Come and Take it flag pattern by Texas maker, 5x VV, Charvet, tie made for Princeton alumni of Nantucket
    [​IMG]
    Close up on the Texas tie N/A
    [​IMG]
    Watched this suit for 4 weeks waiting to see if it would last to 1/2 price week. About a week ago, the vest showed up.
    Nothing great brand wise, but minty fresh 3pc for super cheap. It's blue, my phone camera sucks.
    [​IMG]

12. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Senior member

This thing is so soft. Not silky soft though. I'm assuming it's older. I've only found one Brioni tie ever. Could it be a silk blend? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

Man that is really dope. Id wear that lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wolverine snapback, Gucci Tote, Old Clothes, Mexican vest, John Denver tour hat, Military canvas for my Artisan homie to recreate bags out of. Old OG hippie posters.
    Real 1975 pan american games Team USA soccer jersey.

14. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Content tag maybe buried under the folds of the small end?

15. moltoelegante

moltoelegante Senior member

My first second-hand clothing purchase ever. This waist coat set me back a whole 80 cents, and is in EC. Bought it for a local retro clothing festival which was on today. Will get it taken in a little around the waist tomorrow (which will probably cost me more than the coat - perhaps as much as $4 here :) )

[​IMG]