The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

was it the sharon stone bag?
    And Spoo wants a VW bus.... Man, im after one too. I lived in one before lol

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Dude. Lets split it. whoever finds it cheaper drives from SD-NY or NY-SD and we go on a thrift and bishes parade.

3. bpk1

bpk1 Senior member

Could pay for a VW bus in a couple more runs if he keeps going like the last two posts!

Congrats @Ds13 !!

4. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

Fabric synergy. Mine was some no name maker though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JFST

JFST Senior member

+1

6. diamonds

diamonds Senior member

Speaking of purses...
    Is this this bag repairable? the leather has cracked in high stress areas like the strap. the inside is in pretty decent condition and the majority of the body is OK too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  7. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

Thought I hit the RRL jackpot with a leather trucker on the rack following some impressive trou and selvedge...
    [​IMG]

...but
    [​IMG]
    ...beautiful color/patina though

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

WWII Field Jacket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vietnam ERDL Boonie Hat

My favorite part is the guy wrote his name and nickname in it. "Boweavel"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. chasd2

chasd2 Well-Known Member

Apparently there are tons of things that I either don't know about or overlook. I have been reading and reading this thread and part 1 too. There are soooooo many brands and designers it's hard to know what too look for short of having a list or a cheat sheet of items to look for.

Now, at least I know not to pick up some crap (dior ties)!!! Lol

10. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

It was a Louis Vuitton Kalahari GM

Edit: PM not GM

11. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Well it's fairly simple. I mean obviously people are still buying, that aint ever going to stop, but if people are buying, but there not buying from you, then in this crazy world where demand is something that necessitates a supply, and this supply then in return fuels the demand, causing the market to work in the manner everyone knows it does, you're not living up to your end of the bargain.

Buying and reselling any commodity is a simple process based on a fairly simple ideas, information and subsequent value.

You attain the information, like Christian Dior, a dated, licensed line, that has no demand thus no on will want to purchase it, XMI which is something I don't think anybody truly wants, BB and there oversaturation at market, HF and it's extremely small group of loyal followers. You need current logos for Samelsohns or they aint shit, your Armani aint shit unless it is very specific line and must be Italian, reread HF sentence, and there's always a market for good Brooks suits, your obvisouly not buying the right ones.

You need to do homework before you go on wasting money. Don't invest blindly, it's literally one of the worst money decisions possibly made. You really REALLY need to put in work. Lots of work and find out what your selling, then either realize this aint for you, or hit reset and try again.

I'd be extremely curious to read the inventory of said closet. I think the source of the issue may stem from there and the delusions of grandeur it may have formulated for you.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Major props for the time spent targeting, finding, and quoting that picture in the midst of Hurricane Spoo[​IMG]
    Virtually unsaleable. Sorry man.
    [​IMG]

13. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

[​IMG]

14. chasd2

chasd2 Well-Known Member

You may be correct. Obviously, the demand is not there for what I'm selling. Not everything I own is top of the line. If I like it I keep it mostly. Definitely holds true when it comes to shirts. The obvious brands seem to be highly supplied and therefore not in demand. The C&J shoes I found are in HIGH demand and it shows on ebay (487 views) so I get that.

15. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Absolutely, no way in hell I would have been able to do that. That thing would have been purcashed and I would have gone as far as to resort to sorcery or black magic or Jesus to lift the stains from that thing or no chemical based spot treatments...or Jesus. You are a better man than I. If something has a flaw to it, whether its a stain or something superficial such as that, I test it out for coloration tests just with my hands and you can easily surmise if its deeply set or not. I usually don't care though. Never purchase damaged knitwear, any runs or holes there, absoluely useless, as are slacks. Heavy hopsack blazers with patterns and a small hole, the prices can often work out fine and with that material and color composition, repair would never be detectable. Obviously interior seam lining on the seam is zero deterrence. Essentially you go out and you find the very best at everything garment related in your city, the very best. Having this in the pocket allows for purchases that would otherwise be money holes. Call me a gambler, but more often than not, I've come out on top, I'm gonna keep the dice rollin until that one roll comes where I doubled up letting it ride and crap out super fucking hard. Thatll be wake up day, till then the dice are still hot in my book, but I'm fucking crazy, what can ya do? Well besides have a cabinet with each individual spot remmover for ever single type or product, chemical, or liquid that can get on your clothes and cause any damage, and a dry cleaners at my disposal that does what the fuck I tell them to do.