The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Found a special edition Louis Vuitton bag a while back, looked perfect, even used vechetta leather. Beautiful bag. Only thing is there was a string hanging out of the bottom where it was mis stitched and it said made in Italy in the interior tag which is fine for a lot of their purses but that particular special edition model was only made in 2002 and they were all made in France

2. PantherPatrol

PantherPatrol Well-Known Member

Here's a find for the Patagonia fans.

The Great Pacific Iron Works / Peter Carman Super Gators

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. chasd2

chasd2 Well-Known Member

Got a few things from the TS the last few days. My biggest question is what sells well and what doesn't?

I found some nice ties (BB, Christian Dior, XMI, HF, etc.) none of which seem to be selling on ebay despite low prices. Shitrts (Zegna, Canali, Ike Behar, Isaia) Some suits (Samuelsohn, Armani, HF, BB, etc.) and then Sport Coats of the same ilk don't sell well either. Is nobody buying clothes on ebay anymore?

When I see nice stuff I can't help myself when the price is so good. Whether it fits me or not. I have a whole closet full of Sports Coats (15) and suits Suits (18). I have at least 60 dress shirts. 20+ slacks. Trying to thin the heard and sell some stuff I pick up thrifting. But all I seem to do is accumulate more stuff.

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I keep forgetting to congratulate you dalton.

Solid choice on a keeper, as you know.

5. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

They are, but i'll leave this topic to someone else.

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

There's a difference between buying stuff to sell and buying stuff that you like. Sometimes the two mesh, but a lot of the time they don't. Some of the stuff you listed is junk (i.e. dior ties).

If you can't help yourself when it comes to buying crap, you're just going to end up with lots of stuff that you don't wear and no one else wants.

Hint: You can stop buying stuff that you won't wear and that others won't buy. That's a decent start.

7. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

A few decent finds...
    J Crew Ludlow Yorkshire Tweed by Moon sport coat 38S
    (2) Bean Norwegian sweaters (1-size Sven / 1-size Lars)
    [​IMG]

Play by Comme des Garcons (a throaty FU to the person who wrote their name of the tag)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

JM Weston black loafers sz 8D (more like a 9 or 9.5)
    Ferragamo grain wingtips sz 9.5
    NWOT Smathers & Branson needlepoint Alabama flag belt sz 36
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, for the oddball item... A NWT Hudson Bay Co. "CANADA" Olympic scarf. Any scarf in Alabama is bound to be an odd find.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Ds13

Ds13 Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] thank you

9. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

My bad, Dalton...I have been trying to catch up on 250+ unread posts and 20+ unread messages. I just read about your impending nuptials. Congrats, bro! Welcome to the adventure.

10. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Senior member

I've been at this for a little less than a year so I might not be the person to listen to but here's what I try to do/not do.

1. Don't buy something just because the price is cheap. Unless you know 100% that you can do something with it (keep or sell) you will just wind up with your own thrift store.

2. Know what to pass on. If you plan to shop to keep most of the items then that's up to what you are looking for. If you plan to sell, do a lot of research (number 3) and look into what moves and what doesn't. It's very tempting when you come across something really awesome and cheap but you have to see if from a buyers perspective.

3. Stalk these threads! I read through every single page of the old thread before I started. The people on here know a lot and are very generous with their knowledge.

11. freehand

freehand Senior member

^ what Shane said. This thread and the old thread tell you basically all there is to know about thrifting menswear. The eBay thread tells you all you need to know about selling menswear on eBay. It'll take you weeks to read both but it's also a pleasure if you are interested in learning about this weird (and occasionally lucrative) world. Just don't expect to find what Spoo finds, it's just not normal.

12. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Congrats Dalton! Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you guys when you were in town. I ran into turkey sandwich today, he's a really nice guy... With common projects in his basket :violin:

I had a solid weekend, mix of fodder and nice stuff

[​IMG]

Barbour/ T&A
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Older label but right construction details IT46
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pop!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IT55
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Huzzah! +1.

It's extremely tempting to buy something for the label and post the brag here...but if you're not gonna use it and it's not gonna sell, or not worth the time & effort to sell, then leave it.
    I had an awesome Willis & Geiger cotton duster coat in my cart at GW yesterday; upon inspection it had some spots that I wasn't sure would come out. Was not machine washable or dry cleanable, so I mustered every ounce of strength I had and put it back.

14. rhyme

rhyme Senior member

@Ds13 : Congrats!

@SpooPoker You are a machine. So much win.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I did go back out today.

more later

[​IMG]