The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. double00

double00 Senior member

ever see purseforum?

maybe register there as Jompsette to learn the mysteries?

"Tootsie" scenario. or maybe "Ladybugs".

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I thrifted a leather kangaroo sculpture. It was in the halloween section...understandably.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. double00

double00 Senior member

in all earnestness, sometimes i'll look at purses but if the leather seems cheap i move on. then i check the stitching, the hardware, then the labels. i know you know how to evaluate leather, stitching, and hardware. if any of those seems cheap or off i skip.

that said, i've only ever copped the one. most of what i see is bullshit.

btw, you know why fakes work? it's cause people want to believe, and they'll actually find excuses to do so, overlooking red flags etc. i try to go in extremely skeptical and ask an object to prove to me that it's real, instead of the other way around.

4. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Been a purseforum member for two years, have had a bunch of stuff authenticated there and learned a ton about Louis Vuitton from them

5. double00

double00 Senior member

i was only joking about the handle. i think it's a good idea to learn from other forums like gearslutz and purseforum.
    there's forums for toys, militaria, anything and everything that can be bought sold traded etc. lotta knowledge out there.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015

6. TMAdidas

TMAdidas Senior member

Yeah, I completely understand. I was wary of even getting them because I know nothing about them, but I can sink $10 into it in hopes that even one is legit. The Gucci feels like a very quality and heavier leather, but I wouldn't know what's good or what isn't when it comes to purses. The Prada is a red suede material which is lighter than I'd think it would be, but once again, I wouldn't have the foggiest clue.

7. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Congrats Dalton! Feel like I contributed to the cause with our 3Sixteen deal!

8. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

some legit items feel crappy. but it helps to stand back and look at the hardware.

9. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

On the subject of watches...this thread has me looking at old family peices so discovered this Hamilton my dad wore this morning.[​IMG][/IMG]

10. Ds13

Ds13 Senior member

Thanks everyone! Couldn't have done it without this forum and the knowledge and friends I've gained here.

Off to celebrate round 2 with family

11. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

Okay, here is where I may actually be Truly Useful. The chances that those are authentic is slim to none, but since it's possible, let's start here:

What are they made of? If it's not the most sumptuous leather you've ever touched...probably not real. Vinyl/PVC? Cut it into pieces and throw it into the nearest burn barrel. Do NOT re-donate.

Prada does have a 'sport' line, but that's made of cordura nylon. Most of the truly high-end brands do not splash their name brand/logo all over so it can be seen.

Is the visible stitching absolutely perfect, even, and with identical stitch counts on every handle attachment?

What does the interior fabric look like? If it's a gray satiny chevron, it's fake fake fake.

Can you find a serial number stamped anywhere on the inside? If so, what does a google search tell you about that number? What does the underside of the zipper pull say? What brand is the zipper? Does it have a tag inside stating where it was made? Where was it made? None of the top-tier purse manufacturers make their bags in china, and a real tag will generally be woven ribbon, folded in half and stitched into the seam.

I *have* picked up very valuable purses at thrifts, tossed out with the crap and fakes, because they don't know the difference between a real one and the flood of counterfeits. But mostly, it's a flood of counterfeits.

May I see more pictures? (unless you have pitched them into the nearest burn barrel).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015

12. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

WTG, Dalton! Lock it down!

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

14. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

The R I prada is wrong and the font on the Gucci looks off, not a very clean stamp either

15. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

Some of the best counterfeit purses are almost impossible to tell from the real, because they are made after hours by the people who make the real ones. But yes. If the logo stamp is wrong, you can just stop there. My husband would be able to tell that. I generally can't. I have to look at other details to be certain of what I'm seeing (or not seeing).