The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. double00

double00 Senior member

<<<

RE: Jude Law, thank you for finding that pic. but you gotta button it up all the way! at best the look we're taking about is eccentric

i would suggest wearing a regular button up shirt, buttoned all the way up but without a tie. but that always seemed a little twee to me. but hey, maybe just start there and work on finding the right shirt to make it go. i mean, we're talking about making a business suit not mean business, but also not seem like you're trying to say "i mean business, even when i'm having fun"

think "Hamid Karzai", but without the corruption. dude wears a cape!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015

2. vexco

vexco Senior member

Maybe it's just me but I always see suits with narrower lapels as more "casual". So maybe try to go with something like that? Could also just be a personal perception as well.

3. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

4. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

screw it guys, i'll wear a tie

5. Takai

Takai Senior member

There is no need, in that particular time piece, except to say "Lookie here I have an Auto" The 7a28 is a fantastic watch, really unlike any other quartz watch. It's a fully jeweled 15j movement. When it was released in 83, it was truely revolutionary. I was quite proud to wear that example on my arm, and will likely seek out another one in the future for my own personal box.

Here's some fun reading on the 7a28:
    http://ninanet.net/watches/others13/Mediums/mseiko7a28.html

6. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Oh, damn. That's the perfect watch. 38mm chrono with an A View To A Kill connection? I need one.

7. Takai

Takai Senior member

It really is a damn fine timepiece. Unfortunately with it being a Bond watch it can be a bit expensive. Also finding a non-basketcase can be a challenge; similar to finding a nice Omega f300, or Accutron.

8. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Truthfully, wishing to dress appropriatelty you have 2 very direct, straight forward options. You can A. Take this pinstriped blazer and transport it as far as you can but not so far that you need to nap at a break stop, that's just too far, and then drive to the back of a thrift and politely gie it back to them. However there is also 2. This does take a little time but ould work out. Goodwills an such are flooded with BB pants, so many of these pants are pinstriped or whatever. Take the jacket and try to find the closest pair. Hopefully you can find a match and you'll be straight, the white shirt's cool, loafers with a suit though aren't really the business, however if must be done, the suit must be worn nonconventially, extremely casually as to pass it off as a fashion statement and not a true attempt at CM. I'm talkin goin with pants that don't break and no socks type of trendy. And NEVER EVER EVER rock a tie with those suede loafers with that suit. Those are just all things that are jampled up. Your not really supposed to be formal when wearing a casual loafer, easily know casual because they are textured leather, not streamlined and slick, they are built for versatility. Ties are not built for versatility. Jokers use em for such, but ties are to be worn after you put your dress shirt on, before you place your jacket on, the jacket that matches the pants. But you really gotta but a true individual twist on all of this if your gonna go out bold like that, people need to immediately think only one thing, and that is how fucking big your balls are to be going ham like that, get big balls, go all out and see what happens experiment, maybe you may find a new personal style you like.

9. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

Fuck, the descriptions of LA estate sales are killing me. I aint trying to drive 2 damn hours to pay someone for shit even if i am coming up though lol. I could have got a hard sided LV luggage piece for 300$ but my ass wouldn't drive to get it. Long ass drives kill the thrift aspect to me hahaha, maybe If i was luxuriously driving to get it though. I need to step my whip game up. Status symbol obsessed LA is fucking overflowing with the goods.

10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

For those who have asked: Size on the Arnys and the Daks are both tagged 40 but measure much closer to a true 39R. Arms on the Daks are shorter at 24; Arnys are at 25.

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Oh I wouldn't kick it out of bed, but the engineering of the movement of autos just fascinates me.

I'd wear the hell out of that watch though. It's sweet.

My OM needs to be repaired. It's not keeping time well anymore. So sad :(

I guess backpacking kicked its ass. I should have bought a cheap timex. Oh well!

12. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Seiko has done some wicked shit with Quartz and hybrid movements. Their kinetics and Quartz driven mechanicals are works of art in their own right. I'm an auto man mostly, but some of the interesting Quartz variations are works of art in their own right.

Edit. @ridethecliche backpacking = g shock :D
    My g shock has seen a beating you wouldn't believe.

13. jumpman1231

jumpman1231 Senior member

Hey just catching up on the house discussion. I have my own financial planning practice and would encourage you to talk with someone in a comprehensive way and look at how it works within the overal plan. If you pm me I'm more than happy to help do this with you but again yeah Id talk with someone that can help you put together a comprehensive plan to which that is just a part of the puzzle.

14. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Sooooo crazy, I needed a break so bad so I drove super fast to this thrift at 550 to brwose the racks ro 10 minutes before they closed and was able to find some stuff inn the rush...

Actually for the sake of full transparency and honesty that isnt what happen and not how I got this stuff. I actually wound up getting there at 550 and new I was screwed, but one employee immediatlye brought eme outtwo pieces yet to hit the floor and askedif I wanted and I said yes and was happy cuz that saved time. At 550, the two employees then made every single patron leave, everyone except for me. They then locked the door and turned to me and told me do what I please I have all the time I want. All from using my system that is pretty much an abslute flawless scientifit approach catered to each individual approate thrift to not be friendly, not be friends, not be socialnot join their inner employee circle, but to form a bond with these peoplesomeabove all other types of relationships. Reosymes saw me getting my system worked quite well playing the background by these two foreign women I have formulated said relationship with. I cannot speak enough for doing this because it doesn't just save you some money or get you a discount like a store friend or a clubmember, it always you to dicate what you think is a far price, tell them why and then have them charge you that plus a little more just cuz their the store. This shit gets stuff set aside for you awaiting your arrival knowing you will buy it while others may not. I results in them knowing exactly wnat you want them busting out everything spilling all the secrets of the rest and allowingn you to walk out of asore you were just allowed thrift for 20 minuts, I kept it short to be curtious andnot keep them too long overtime, without 1 single other person. This shit doesn''t just work, this shit is fucking magic. You guys can try googling how to build friendships or something like that I dunno, maybe you can figure some shit out too, it's worth investing the time to formulate a method. You can be lazy, I like extremely nice ties, that'll get you the first tape in the series. The days of just throwin out help willy nilly thoughh are a thing of the past. All I want to do is help and make people happy all others seem to want is the opposite, I dont seem to understand, don't think I ever will. If we PM a lot or trade, shoot me a message and I'll get you started, if not, I repeat, I like really nice ties.

Not an extremely highor low however you look at it, wool measurment from belvest for Davide Cenci, only Super 100s. But regardless of how thin the whool fibers maybe, this thing was still hanging on store rack with garment back and has no wear marks or anything, just fitting hems. Its beautiful and almost brand goddamn new.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nothing crazy here, just a gorgeous brown Brooks Brothers Italy blazer with a small chevron weave made of 100% lambswool. this thing will sell for about 1/10 of what is truly worth, I aboslutellylo love this thing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Absolutely excellent news I camacross amongst a few brand new Carool and Co ackets, their brand new suting manufacturer happens to be.....Samaulsohn. fucking awesome.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Still learning how to learn how to learn how to put on the trainng weels to learn how to starto do this without them. But you an't argue the brands aren't fucking baller though.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The highly regarded bullock and jones released this blazer. It is a brownish beige twill weave, 100% cashmere, one buys blazers like this when they want to own something that is truly fucking nice,this is truly fucking nice. moving on
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    POP!!....never in my life have I thrifted the lower level gianlucal Isaia napoli line, but this shirt was nice and extremely crispy, the other word says canali.
    [​IMG]

God I love thsi wool so goddman much its riduclous. I don;teven know what color to call thiss hit, but with a hand like that who cares
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Far and away the dopest piece of faconnable clothing I have ever seen a vintage wool green hacking jacket, made in france triple patch pocket. Really like this thing.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was so insanely cheap I had no choice beautiful peak lapel jacket with satin lapels from Zegna in their Super 100s wool. I know I can make it move but having another Zegna tuxedo woul have been nice.
    [​IMG]

Some claimit was Giorgio, these people are probably right, however Mr Guy came first and planted the city of Beverly hills flag firmly on thequite road of Rodeo drive about 50 years ago and then proceeded to making the finest suitng for the most sparing rich people in the world. Some Hollywood celebs discovered SavileRow andwent English bespoke, other like cary grant found the chicago based Oxxford and became quite loyal, however hundreds of others equally as affluent and traveled knew they didn't need to leave their zip coad to buy the finest in the world. GIorgio and MR Guy broght that for them, this absolute beautiful sweater is a small example of a garment made by somomeone gained their level of fame by solely making only extremely beautiful garments.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A vintage Gianni Versace shirt I believe to be pre death, made 50% of silk, and sreaming Versace through my computer screen. There isn't a single other individual in the world that would design a white tuedo shirt like this that also has no inention be be even worn with a Tux
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brand new Pringle, gorgeous.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Came across these, research says they're a thing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the very first think I was greeted with when I walked through the front door ready and waiting for me, unpriced knowing i would tell them its true value and then what I will pay. When you have someone saving merch for yoou knowing you will aboslutely buy all the high end shit giving it zero rack life or anything, honesty is key in this business dynamic. Knowing that I told them the exact fucking truth andd not candy coated anything, they sold me tis suit along with everything else. also for all other reasons mentioned. It's all pretty easy, just don't be an idiot and stuff will work out for you business wise. Conduct yourself in a manner like a jackass and display no business sense, you get no respect, no clients no dealsno deals, no supply chains, and no resources to attempt to located items you wish to acquire. There is a very easy strategy that will all of a sudden have you knowing what half of your city does for a living, hobby, half time, and exactly what they can do for you, if anything, very, very simple.Freethinking intuation and asking just a few questions to a couple people, that's all I'm gonn say, i know it's not much but you do you on your own, Ill let you take this one.

I didn't mention, NWOT's, fucking absolutely perfect suit, like truly perfect (unless your a 3/2 or a 2 button guy, I'm the former) Best 3 button clsoure you will find .
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I noticed these shoes and how brand new they are....Pop on my first absolutely unworn, benchmade Grensons. The style isn't exactly my steez, but when, in your life, have you come across a pair of grensons in a thrift that were in good condition, not very many, maybe 2 times? if your in a high shoe thrift area. I'm not, the construction is a work of art.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Probably could have done more damage but I had/have thigns to do and they were being so nice I didn want to be a dick. Plus they almost wound up paying me for this stuff. Overall, I think I did ok for one of those of the brim quick runs to kill 20 minutes or save your sanity or something. I wasn't able to get into the stuff behind the counter, notably the boxes of glasses all the fun stuff like that. Ill be back tomorrow to take care of that shit as well as outerwear, I let them have a break from my thrift pillaging after I know no one will find anything in that plaece of anyvalue, thats when I know my job is done, and it never is until that is solidified and I never leave until its solidified. So in other words, following me around town would be pretty fucking dumb. Goodnight.

15. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

PM NOW.