Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. varietygoods

varietygoods Well-Known Member

My avatar is Kevin French from Mission Hill, in the photo he's wearing a Luke Skywalker costume. Mission Hill ran only 12 episodes on Adult Swim when it was in its infancy, never aired a rerun- just did twelve eps and was cancelled, never to be seen again. However, when Canada launched "Teletoon" (a really crappy Cartoon Network rip-off) they needed content desperately and bought the rights to Mission Hill and played the twelve episodes back to back, night after night, for about two years. It's a great American show that only Canadians are familiar with. Ha! Funny how those things go. I recommend anyone who was in their late teens or early twenties at the turn of the century should watch it.

Edit: just fact checked my own post: Mission Hill was actually originally produced for the WB, but they only aired two episodes. It aired in its entirety on Adult Swim, once, a couple years later.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015

2. double00

double00 Senior member

501 sizing can vary from lot to lot. as always.
    imo they tend to run oversize and are fairly easy to stretch. most of mine are marked 32w and fit as 34w. i've got a mix of mainline levi's and lvc. mostly stf but a few are pre washed.
    ymmv.

3. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

I've seen every episode, one of my all time favorite cartoons

4. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Pretty funny show, very under rated. Not much love like my favorite Frisky Dingo. Only got 2 seasons until it was canceled.

Oh and Spoo, holy shit!

5. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

So, in other news, the Knowledge Box TM has arrived. :D Thanks again @richnet12, @SpooPoker, and everyone else who contributed. I'll keep it for a few days and then pass it along. Who's next?

Also, a couple things I picked up today, both available. I'd appreciate any intel on the APC. Older label (I believe), certainly different from my relatively recent New Standards -- took a bit of a gamble on them but they are in excellent condition. A little late for the weight around here, but maybe someone south of the Mason-Dixon can use them.

J. Crew 100% cotton Crespi navy Ludlow jacket, size 40S. Minty and recent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

APC gauzy, light 100% wool navy trousers. Riri hardware, excellent condition. Tagged 42 EU, 34ish x 32ish US.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Does anybody have a recommendation for shoe stretchers? I've got a couple pairs that I could use just a little more room in the toebox. I figured a group of people that wear used shoes would be able to provide some feedback in this regard.

7. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Spoo. Your insta comment was correct.

So was mine. Good god.

8. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

Not sure about objects specifically designed to stretch, but what about trees that are slightly too large? I bought a cheap pair of Kiwis the other day to keep in thrifted shoes while they hung out waiting to be sold and that thing was enormous in the toebox. Here: http://www.target.com/p/men-s-kiwi-cedar-shoe-tree/-/A-13994831.

9. eazye

eazye Senior member

I've got a pair of shoe stretchers. You need to borrow them?

10. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Need edge dressing and a resole soonish (they're double soled but getting to the stitching) or a quick topy but the uppers look great!

Carmina brown suede double monk straps. Cost all of $20 CAD (320€ new). I'll keep those :D

[​IMG]

11. double00

double00 Senior member

solid, solid, solid. love the rlpl.
    btw - i assume folks know about alpaca here, but i'll offer a tip anyhow:
    100% alpaca knits will stretch very easily, and they will absolutely stay stretched. even simple regular wear will alter the shape of alpaca knits for good.
    i highly recommend never hanging these (i fold all of my knits anyhow)
    i highly recommend taking care when washing/drying. you can block but it's a one-way street.

love alpaca, specially the baby paca, so freaking warm and so soft. but, it is more fragile than cashmere ime.

12. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Oh yeah forgot this thing with all the burberry leather excitement.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Better pic of the Burberry and the Specialized from wednesday.sold on CL for 300 in less then 8 hours.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I just bought this one. Planning to use it this weekend...can report back.

http://www.footfitter.com/p/101-001...retcher.html?gclid=CNu47aWmpcgCFUpsfgodtbMLFA

15. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I was looking at the same one, but realized it would only work on shoes and not boots. I have a pair of loafers as well as a pair of Chelsea boots that need a little more room. Thinking of trying this one out instead. Should work on both. Are you using the stretch spray?