1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior Member

[​IMG]

2. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Distinguished Member

Wasn't that a Biff Tannen thing? I hope people don't actually think I'm not doing it on accident. Like when I say "make like a tree and get out of here".
    [​IMG]
    Guess it'd be like my Mom pulling a '50s reference on me that goes over my head.

3. kookystyle

kookystyle Member

Found a RL Jacket in my size. Is this good or not-so-good? Needs waist suppression other than that fits great:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jompso

Jompso Distinguished Member

If it's for you and you truly like it then it's always a good thing....well almost always.

5. joshmick

joshmick Senior Member

Hey! My friend is one of the co-owners of Corvus

6. colorvision

colorvision Senior Member

Nice. I also say 'make like a tree and get out of here'

7. Jompso

By the end of tomorrow you will have a full and total in depth look as to how my entire operation is handled. I'll finally totally be in my office and I will document the house that thrift built.

8. vexco

vexco Distinguished Member

I don't think it was a Biff Tannen thing and BTTF's are my favorite movies of all time. Of course, I could be mistaken. I was just giving you shit anyway!

9. Jompso

This forum has been absolutely amazing to me over this past year. I love the people on here and everything they bring. I've learned tons, have met excellent people, have made great trades, and have just had an overall excellent experience with this thread and for sure would not be where I'm at without it.

I'm opposed to something that hinders someones self reliance and resourcefulness and doesn't motivate them to get out on their own and figure shit out for themselves and instead use a crutch like a knowledge box to reference information. I may have picked up a few things from this thread, but over this past year, I haven't ask single question to a single person in regards to menswear related thrifting. Shipping strategies? yes Womens wear? yes. But I have been fully and entirely self reliant and I believe that's the only way you truly learn this game and motivate yourself to be excellent. This thread is a wealth of knowledge, a dumb idea of a knowledge box where people can reference what a fake Hermes tie is a fucking joke to me. Learn what a real one is and what a fake one is, it's not hard, it just takes a little something called resourcefulness and I think theres some people on here that rely too heavily on the knowledge of others and forget about things like google or the fact that they have a brain and don't do their own research....maybe I have this whole knowledge box twisted, and if anyone has a question my PM box is always open, but my answers will teach you, they aren't a point and see and then move on and retain nothing. Again I didn't really read the basis though so I may slightly off whatever though because I'm fairly sure I got the gist.

Edit: I'm just a person who prides himself on resourcefulness, motivation, desire to learn, and never relying on others when its you that needs to put in the work and truly learn the information. That is all.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015

10. Fueco

Fueco Distinguished Member

Yeah? That's a pretty cool spot they've got down there... I won't say it's better than Boxcar up here in this alternate universe, but it's among the best coffee shops I've encountered (and I'm including my forays into Portland, Seattle, Vancouver and Nashville in that statement.

11. joshmick

joshmick Senior Member

Are you living in Colorado yet? I know a while back you were looking into moving to this area (boulder perhaps?)

Denver has some amazing coffee spots. Novo, Boxcar, Crema, Thump, etc. etc...

12. Fueco

Yeah, we've been here for a month now, on the opposite side of Boulder from CU. I'm finally starting to venture out into the thrifting in your area.

13. Jompso

Are you living on the Hill? I lived in the Green House on 14th, the Barn right around the corner from the Hill, and 975 Marine where we built a giant ball pit and an 8 person hot tub we bought off some meth head for 300 bucks...that ballpit resulted in a 15,000 lawsuit cuz apparently you can't take an axe to a fifth bedroom in a house you don't own and turn it into a McDonalds sized ballpit...who would have known?...oh and we paid none of that money by the way cuz fuck their house....Boulder is awesome, I always wonder what the thrifting would have been like if I had partaken while there.

14. Fueco

A few recent finds...

Allen Edmonds Kenilworth (10 B)
    [​IMG]

Resistol XXX Beaver (7 1/4)

[​IMG]

Longobardi Tie (I don't know if it's a thing, but it seems very nice)

[​IMG]

RT BOC

[​IMG]

Trailwise backpack

[​IMG]

LL Bean Aran Sweater (XL?)

[​IMG]

Sierra Designs 60/40 (Large)

[​IMG]

Early 1980s Holubar down vest (Small)

[​IMG]

The North Face Fleece (XL) -1990s vintage

[​IMG]

REI Fleee (Large?)

[​IMG]

Orvis Fleece (XL)

[​IMG]

Castelli jacket (Large)

[​IMG]

Vineyard Vines Whale Shirt (Large)

[​IMG]

Sir Pendleton (XL)

[​IMG]

BB Red Fleece (Large)

[​IMG]

15. Fueco

I'm assuming you partook in something else The Hill is well known for while you were there?

We're kind of on the edge of town, Rural North Boulder is how the area is known, though it's mostly a nice residential neighborhood these days. Thrifting is not as good here as in the Bay Area, but I'm getting a lot more consignments these days. And next Thursday we're going to a Nuggets-Bulls preseason game being hosted by CU. My first NBA game, and not even in an NBA arena? Sounds good to me...