The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Takai

Takai Senior member

So this thing is some super hybrid Mutt of a jacket.

1. Cord Collar ala Lee Stormrider
    2 Cuffs off of a Chore coat
    3. Early American Blouson style front pockets
    4. Type 2 Style side adjusters
    5. Wrangler style rivets on the pockets
    6. Handwarmer pockets stolen from a Type 3
    7. I care way too much about this
    8. I havent had nearly enough to drink.
    Edit: 9. I just noticed it has a button scheme of a chore coat too

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015

2. Chotii

Chotii Senior member

Jompso has been teaching me about the best way to choose and display men's ties to sell. He said no black ties, but I thought this one *might* just be an exception:
    It was made in Japan for The Poppy, Eighty Sixth Club, Yokohama.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

You're totally missing the point. Yes, Gap did selvedge like 10 years ago, we all know what it is, read what I'm writing. It's not that it's selvedge, it's that he's making a quality of denim on par with small batch Japanese firms to a target market that couldn't tell or give a shit, so he's not doing this because it's benefitting bottom dollar, he's doing it because he has a respect for the art form and is doing it better than any US firm I've come across and construction wise, as good as the Japanese. I just think that says a lot for the man and his true dedication to the art form and unwavering stance of bringing his consumer nothing but the finest, even if they don't have a motherfucking clue. It's so much deeper than "ya he's using selvedge too" or "filling holes" ... read between the lines brah.

4. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Solid Wool. Solid Cashmere. Solid Grenadine. Nice solid silk. Nice solid silk 7 fold. No other exceptions. There's no demand, thus no market, thus no money. They complement no outfits and are in no way versatile or a useful part of a wardrobe. Sorry to those who are already well aware. I couldn't decide so I went with a solid Brioni and a Ben Silver Grenadine Garza weave, but decided I no longer want any plain solid silk ties and every solid color tie in my collection is strictly grenadine Garza weave, so bye Brioni....Unrelated note: recent, unworn, solid black Brioni tie available...another unrelated note: I have a giant personal tie collection of unworn ties, many brand new... I don't wear ties, why do I have these....

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015

5. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Ok dude. Fyi gustin has selvedge fly. It's not that big of a deal. Maybe you can donate a pair in the knowledge box to show us theze tom ford quality you speak of?

6. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

You're still kinda not getting it though. And I'm morally opposed to said knowledge box and I own 3 pairs of Iron Hearts so I have a base on which to compare quality, not to mention the fact that I've been obsessed with Japanese denim for like 10 years now. Let me put it like this. I've thrifted a pair of Brioni jeans and they were a fucking joke. They completely phoned it in and slapped a leather Brioni patch on them and a 700 price tag or whatever and know they're gonna get the money for them. Tom Ford could have done this. Tom Ford didn't. He instead made a pair of extremely high quality jeans, MADE IN THE US, to a group of people that couldn't tell you what sanforized cotton is and want their denim from Italy or France. He didn't pander, he paid homage to the art and did so masterfully....or whoever he contracted to do so, did. I think the forums been highjacked enough with this back and forth, if you're still not grasping it, then just agree to disagree.

7. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

First, you were looking at baseline non-selvedge, which would not have been a smart purchase. Very curious as to why you spent $500 for a pair of Dunhill jeans?

8. barrelntrigger

I get it. Tom ford produce quality garments. He has to because his name is riding on it. Yes, he doesn't cheap out on the quality maybe the way brioni does but telling me i don't get it just makes you sound condescending. I still stand by what I've said about he doesn't bring anything new to the denim game. What's interesting to me is before he was making non selvedge jeans with nothing special unless you count the gold plated buttons and diamond studs. Seasons later, he offers raw selvedge denim? Sounds like he's jumping on the band wagon which sounds to me he's plugging holes in his line! I mean the denim game is a 3 billion dollars industry. It would be foolish for him not to get it. But to produce a pair of jeans with similar quality to the standard Japanese offering but for at least 3 times the price!? Yeah, no thanks. I don't care enough to pay that much just to have the Tom ford label on MY ass. Also, i stands by what I've said earlier that i rather Kopp 3 pair of samurai jeans for the pair of Tom ford. No thanks.

9. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I didn't mean to condescend, I apologize for that. I was merely focusing on the fact that it was in no way a necessity but he went out of his way to do so even if it doesn't even cater to his customer base and you were focusing on other things, that's all I meant, I am sorry. Also, I'm not buying Tom Ford denim either, give me a pair of IH 22-301s 5x over a pair of Ford denim. Some PBJ's xx-013, or some DH MIJ 19cm (cut obviously)... I'm not waiting in line to buy these things, this is a thrift thread, I was showing them, then proceeded to tell everyone I was very very impressed with their quality. Band wagon or not, I don't care, he's earned the right to hop on one, lord knows the amount of people that have hoped on his band wagon and fashion their clothes after his designs. The mans an icon for a reason, he's got nothing to prove.

10. barrelntrigger

I mean i hardly ever get into one of these rants on here. I just would like to think i know a little bit about denim. I don't want to call myself a denim head but i think you've given too much credit to Mr. Ford in the denim game. That's all. I wish Mr. Ford the best. I've watched in an interview he has reduced the amount of his work in order to spend more time with his husband and their son. It sounds like he's living life.

11. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I wouldn't call it a rant, you had an opinion and you had every right to voice it. And I highly respect your knowledge of denim and asian fashion and culture in general. Let's just say I was extremely surprised at what I came across and leave it at that. He may have had nothing to do with it. They're made great, that is all.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Like seeing your kids go off to college after raising them right, a proud papa am I! Glad you were the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for those. They look great!

13. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

@snackbandit Flight jacket fit for the fit comp? [​IMG]

Tom Ford jeans? *Shrugs* (Tumbleweed rolls past in my mind)

Sweet kop tho @Jompso make the $$$$$$$

14. Letric

Letric Senior member

Join the Club, Brah! I don't really wear ties either... Maybe a couple times a year when I compose a master fit on a random whim. I have roughly 75-90 in my personal collection. It WAS about 150+, but I purged out all the unnecessary crap and "suit ties". I'm still collecting though... I really appreciate a fine tie, and love having a neat collection of the most wearable, high end ones available. Lately I've been into solids, textureds, wool/cashmeres, and printed foulard silks.

On a side note... WHY THE FUCK do we always have these huge late night / early morning wall-of-text debates about Denim lol. It's always fucking denim. [​IMG]

15. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

My latest edition is a E. Marinella navy blue grenadine Garza...god it's fucking sweet....I like wools/cashmeres cuz they add fabric contrast, but nothing in my book beats a beautifully designed piece of english silk macclesfeild/neat tie or a variation of such. I have a Capelli that is probably my favorite and Marinella 7 fold that's a close second, however as just a trade throw in, @SpooPoker threw me this Holliday and Brown that I absolutely fucking love and don't think I'll ever part with. Most though are so crisp they don't even feel like silk cuz they've never even been tied. Only one that gets playing time is my solid brown T&A Gren Garza because my navy Kiton is not complete without it around my neck. Ties are the best, and that spinning carousal loaded with silk is just awesome. Everyone's gotta have a hobby. I used to read about fashion and when I wasn't doing that I was buying clothes, but I do that for a living. Now I just collect the finest silk I can get my hands on...the small things in life.

[​IMG]

right there, that's the type of shit I be coppin....besides Gren and the occasional Kiton 7 or Brioni just cuz some are just too hot not to.