1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Thrift / Discount Store Arguing (AKA Lets Take It Outside) Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by capnwes, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1 to Cali being so warm...I can bairly wear a windbreaker without a sweat...wonder what winter feels like...

1 person likes this.
  2. odesza

odesza Member

The cold front that came through Seattle a couple weeks ago totally wrecked my 6 layers of fashion. The sacrifices we make...

1 person likes this.
  3. eazye

eazye Senior member

Yea, sorry about posting PRL shirts. I also see about 50 per store, I just get excited when I finally find an interesting one in a size small. It seems the ratio of small to xxxxl is 1 to 10000 For example:
    [​IMG]
    A vintage made in the USA pop-over in a size small is something you don't see every day, no?

1 person likes this.
  4. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

[​IMG]
    :lol:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  5. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

- stay stylish thrift crew. you guys lead the way.love your attitudes, and your fits.

6. Towers

Towers Senior member

This is my only beef with flippers, a lot of companies make jackets with harris tweed and the vast majority of them are totally unremarkable. i would rather see actual brag-worthy things (which i get is different for everyone) someone picked up rather than a mountain of bleh stuff that will show up again a day later in the what im selling on ebay thread.

7. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

2 people like this.
  8. Towers

Towers Senior member

Those aren't the posts I'm talking about.

9. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

i think he is talking about the posts with MANY mediocre finds, by Brooks brothers , etc that are purely for advertisement purposes. like " hey, i got all this stuff, wanna pm me??"
    i wanna profit from this.

posting only your best finds makes it more of a challenge.

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

This is why I spoiler all my picture posts. If people want to look at it they are welcome too, but I don't want to force them into it. A lot of people probably don't think so, but I actually do curate the posts I make, but I'm still legitimately excited about a lot of stuff many of you probably find mundane. I recognize this. I suppose once I've been doing this for a couple years, I'll post less of my finds, and just skip straight to the juice, but I genuinely still enjoy finding HF suits, and I just don't see that much Isaia or Tom Ford where I'm at.

2 people like this.
  11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Maybe, but it's also a great way to hook up a thrift bro since stuff is more visible there.

12. marc roberto

13. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Like i said, posting EVERYTHING you brought home, and posting ALL OF IT as "available" is pure sell. not brag. i only post the grails, and bring home plenty of mouth watering stuff that never gets posted because frankly, it's to wear. not brag worthy. but i like it..

1 person likes this.
  14. eazye

eazye Senior member

Mouth watering stuff should always be posted, especially if it's just for yourself. Also, I never use spoilers. :)

3 people like this.
  15. marc roberto

I think the question here is whether the purpose of posting stuff is all for you the poster to get the brag out of your system or is it that, PLUS to give enjoyment and knowledge to other members who would want to see any and all mouth watering stuffs even if its not grail. I learned a lot from this thread and not all of it was grail stuff. That being the case I vote that whatever the purpose of the thread was, people should post anything they think others might have an interest to see, not just grails. I do agree that anything more than a small "available" is superfluous and wrong.
    I don't think we have an argument here. Or maybe we do, not sure exactly what you mean.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Dude, just about every time I see some cool stuff you find but don't post, I'm like WHAT???!!! Post that shit!

1 person likes this.
  17. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I don't have the time to post EVERYTHING I bring home...only what I think is cool, good, decent, or maybe people may want. Also everyone needs to keep in mind, that when people post this "mediocre" stuff, we don't realize how many PM's they may be getting...I have had plenty of trades going on regularly on everyday items, tweeds, staples, FU's...not just the kitons, Brionis, or isaias.

+1...personal is always the best...but sometimes the least motivating to pic, edit, post hehe.

18. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

i know, but how many Beams, Takeo Kikuchi, and no-name irish and scottish wool sweaters can you bear to see??

no arguments here, just bouncing thoughts. it might even improve the thread. [​IMG]

you are right, but there is a difference between the thread and ebay.most guys will want something that is brag worthy. so it's worth posting. it takes experience to tell the difference between bragworthy and clutter. i'm just encouraging you to be more picky.

ok then, i will post more of my keepers. instead of just the best item. [​IMG]

100% agree with snoogz .

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  19. odesza

odesza Member

I've gotten pretty down on my thrifting lately - in the bad way... I don't find anything I connect with, and my frequent haunts are feeling more and more picked through and drained. It seems like it's all bad flannels your uncle wears and 20% marked down H&M shirts. Then again, people don't dress that well in Seattle, and Macklemore did bring a lot of attention to thrifting... Guh.

I've heard a lot about online thrifting from places like ebay and grailed - but am I going to end up paying more in these places?

20. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

The above post ^^ prompts a question from me: Why do people thrift H&M and Uniqlo to sell? You can get that stuff for damn near thrift prices from the store new. I don't get it.