1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official thread for short / slim people.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Sep 15, 2009.

1. snake

snake Senior member

i have no idea how any human could be a perfect fit in J.crew XS. Do you have a pencil neck, tiny chest, but a huge gut and gigantic bodybuilder arms? It's such awkward sizing, unless you can deal with a baggy fit.

That's what I was thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the neck on the XS is around 13" and 14.5 is already tight enough on me.

2. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

^ i would just wear it casually without buttoning it

p.s. wow js makes 44 and raf makes xs. how rare are these sizes

3. mulansauce

mulansauce Senior member

see if you can find any DKNY slim fit shirts, its a nice cut
    These actually fit me quite well. I was pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately the neck was much too large so I had to pass. My biggest issue is my tiny neck. Many smalls will fit me fairly well, but the necks are always too large. This isn't an issue for casual button-downs, but for dress shirts its an instant deal breaker.

4. Mossy

Mossy Senior member

just thought I'd let everyone know that w+h chinos from this season are good for us shorter guys. I'm 5'7 and my sz.30 chinos are perfect in length.

5. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

do people really have problems with pants? I thought it's pretty easy to find size 28-30 stuff and have it hemmed / tapered from teh knee down. All of my trousers go through this.

6. Lel

Lel Senior member

^ i would just wear it casually without buttoning it

p.s. wow js makes 44 and raf makes xs. how rare are these sizes

Rare enough you will probably rarely find them below retail, which is frustrating because there are a bunch of JS knits on Yoox now and some are a 46.

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

8. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Rare enough you will probably rarely find them below retail, which is frustrating because there are a bunch of JS knits on Yoox now and some are a 46.

well there goes the dream b/c i'm not paying retail ahahah

9. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

p.s. thanks a lot everyone there's lots of good info. now time to search and plan for winter sales

10. gwydion

gwydion Senior member

11. mrtophat

mrtophat Well-Known Member

I'm 5'5 on a good day - causes problems finding button downs and tees short enough and slim enough to wear untucked. I've had some luck with MJK, but like others have said, his sizing is pretty inconsistent from run to run. Wish his new shirts were shorter.

12. Lel

Lel Senior member

Everyone.

Japanese brands.

Lad Musician's biggest size is a 46. But don't go for that yesstyle shit, cut like youth larges (aka square and shitty) and the worst quality you can imagine.

13. van_hammersly

van_hammersly Senior member

Everyone.

Japanese brands.

Lad Musician's biggest size is a 46. But don't go for that yesstyle shit, cut like youth larges (aka square and shitty) and the worst quality you can imagine.

^ eh, but how's the quality on that stuff? I thought some of the brands Atsui used to stock (Mr. Olive, Man of Moods) looked interesting, but there wasnt much info on the quality and they didnt carry smaller sizes. Medium was usually the smallest they had.

14. mrtophat

mrtophat Well-Known Member

japanese sizing sometimes is different, so medium might fit someone smaller. I have a korean bd shirt that's listed as a large, but fits me relatively well, though i would have gotten a size smaller if they had it. but it varies...so its best to get the measurements.

15. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Lel,

if you could give us a little more insight into buying jap brands i'd be interested in listening. but so far it seems hard to navigate rakuten and i dont know other options

edit: they are coming out with 100% cotton solids soon biscotti!

16. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

jump the gun shirts are nice and very slim; however, only their check shirts are 100% cotton

17. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

do people really have problems with pants? I thought it's pretty easy to find size 28-30 stuff and have it hemmed / tapered from teh knee down. All of my trousers go through this.

Yeah pants are pretty easy to tailor, I have been eyeing these two pairs of incredible grail pants by ann demeulemeester at assin which I would give an arm for, but as far as fit is concerned I'd just need to take each leg up by 1 inch all the way through on one pair and just get the waist tightened on the other.

As far as aussie brands go, beat poet make some super slim size 28 pants with an unusually large waist that you would probably need to take in by an inch if you fit the legs properly. Chronicles of Never make an extremely nice thick wool pair of pants that are but a hair too big for me, but would fit anyone a tad bit bigger perfectly.

Dior Homme Hedi Slimane era stuff in size 44 or 46 would fit almost anyone small well, stuff is tiny.

Robert Geller 44 is quite good too, though a hair big.

Rick owens XS is quite small, DRKSHDW jeans fit me very well and I have contemplated buying them more times than I can think (though the aesthetic is just slightly off what I'm after).

18. ennui

ennui Senior member

These actually fit me quite well. I was pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately the neck was much too large so I had to pass.

My biggest issue is my tiny neck. Many smalls will fit me fairly well, but the necks are always too large. This isn't an issue for casual button-downs, but for dress shirts its an instant deal breaker.

I third the recommendation fo DKNY shirts. I'm 5'5" 140-145 lbs. and they fit me around as well as anything else OTR, though Dolce & Gabbana is a marginally better fit.

19. Meis

Meis Senior member

just thought I'd let everyone know that w+h chinos from this season are good for us shorter guys. I'm 5'7 and my sz.30 chinos are perfect in length.

+1 I just got mine in the mail today and the length is pretty damn perfect.
    And yes... you can always hem pants/jeans up, but its nice not to have to. Plus in the case of jeans sometimes you're cutting off part of the taper,etc

Edit: are you talking about the fall ones? if so...do you find the tiny top button annoying too?

20. van_hammersly

van_hammersly Senior member

^ yeah i dont know why the top button is so small, the belt loops are a little small as well.

Anybody else have issues with shoes? Wondering if I'm in the minority here but I feel like I can't pull off larger, chunkier shoes and boots even if they're sized properly. I always end up trying to find something lower-profile.