1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Temple of Jawnz Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I think he wanted it under $200 but wasn't able to make that happen which is why it never went into full production

yeah. And i can't see him sacrificing materials to keep it in that price range.

2. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

fwiw I think the fatty YKK zips ToJ has been using are nicer than any Riris i've ever had, much easier pull and never ever get stuck whereas I've had a bunch of disappointing Riris.
    when I met drew the first time we talked about the zips and pretty much thought together those ykk zips he picked out are perfect and had no faults compared to riris. also we agreed that the two-way zips sorta sucked.
    I don't think that range is unreasonable, after all he said he wanted to keep it under two hundred (or was it three hundred?).
    for me to make my own trousers in a Korean fabric (they're pretty good actually) it'd cost $200-300. and $200 is only happening if I order other shit, haggle a lot and the fabric is one they have in stock at the moment as well as being just average quality. good trousers aren't cheap

3. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

ToJ needs to implement some 24k RiRi zips

4. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

I've only ordered TOJ once but the YKK zips I got weren't good. They work smooth/single-handedly for you guys?

5. SPK

SPK Senior member

^ I have the original ykk double zips on DR and I have never had a problem. Very smooth, never gets caught, and they really feel substantial.

6. Binker

Binker Senior member

presumably the economics of getting a single pair of bespoke trousers made to personal specs would be quite different than doing even a small production run

although i didnt know toj had already tried to get some trousers into production and it didnt work out.

7. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

I've only ordered TOJ once but the YKK zips I got weren't good. They work smooth/single-handedly for you guys?

Thats REALLY weird since both the YKKs on both the ToJ pieces I have are the two best zippers i've ever had/used period. Better than lampos, talons, and definitely better than Riris.

8. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^yeah my zips are all smooth as fuck, extremely tough and never got jammed once. Can't say the same about the double zips but not many people got those.

presumably the economics of getting a single pair of bespoke trousers made to personal specs would be quite different than doing even a small production run

although i didnt know toj had already tried to get some trousers into production and it didnt work out.

yeah just letting people know that it's not like Korea is still cheap sweatshop labor land, tough to get quality at cheap prices. remember he's gotta be able to make them and ship them while getting some money leftover to profit, so if he can get it to $200 that's a good deal.

9. vthustle

vthustle Senior member

it'd be interesting to know how much of a profit TOJ makes on each product. the only TOJ piece i own is the annivarsity (which is awesome, as everyone already knows), so i can't really speak from experience on other products, but it's fair to assume that they make quality products at a price that larger, more established labels can't/won't/don't have to match. and that's in part to the business model that TOJ follows i assume. i'd understand if drew and charly don't feel comfortable sharing that information, but it was something i was wondering about recently.

10. genericman

genericman Senior member

that's just asking someone how much they make each year...you just dont ask [​IMG]

11. Electricity

Electricity Well-Known Member

noooooo. So much discontinuation in this jawn.

12. vthustle

vthustle Senior member

i didn't mean it as an affront, it was just something that i had wondered about, mainly after reading the article about the band of outsiders trousers. if i recall the article correctly, the garment price is based on the materials & labor they use and they (BoO) don't mark it up that much, figuratively speaking. like i said, i wasn't meaning to offend anyone (especially drew and charly), but i guess i was out of bounds.

13. Riio

Riio Senior member

that's just asking someone how much they make each year...you just dont ask [​IMG]

dude's just wondering, it's not a big deal. TOJ is a business after all

14. max_r

max_r Senior member

i think i remember impoloyt mentioning that his profit per item is pretty low. and he's able to keep overhead pretty low by not having a storefront, not accepting returns (i think?), etc, so that helps explain how he keeps the price really low compared to alot of popular designers.

plus with a lot of popular designers, you're almost always paying a premium for the name.

15. SDES

SDES Active Member

I've always thought it would be pretty cool to know about the regional distribution of TOJ - like an approximate measurement/indication of where they've sent stuff, if you know what I mean.

All pretentiousness aside, I think it would be neat to know about how many people in my country, state or even city have received TOJ stuff. It'd be pretty cool to know what other random countries have received stuff too, like some random dudes from Guam or Fiji or something... I wonder if TOJ record this kinda info for whatever reason.

16. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Yes they do, Drew has spoken about where they've shipped stuff to before along with how many.

17. SDES

SDES Active Member

Ah, well I never knew.
    Though I remember reading a post on sufu about two guys who turned out to live on the same street (!!!), or something like that.

Drew, do you mind telling me the stats for QLD, Australia? [​IMG]

18. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

We've shipped quite a few items to Queensland.

19. Razele

Razele Senior member

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING

<-----

Oh, Hi.

20. muffinman

muffinman Senior member

Another queenslander here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.