1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Temple of Jawnz Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I haven't finished writing it yet. [​IMG] Might as well just sum it up here: It's kinda long and wordy but the idea is just that, yes, selling TOJ in its entireity and letting one do what they want to, or more likely and reasonable, the skills, knowledge, and the working relationships I've acquired over the past year (ie intellectual properties - vocational training in order to make money)... it's literally been blood, sweat, and tears - a lot of each. I'm able to to package that up neatly, and save people the hassle if someone wanted to change their life and start making their own clothes. One obviously needs a starter kit for something like that if they don't want to waste tons of time and money, and this would be it. I can have you on the ground, making money in about 2 weeks or so. It'd take about a week to learn the skills, a week of introductions and settling in, and then you're ready to roll. I work a little differently than most people making and selling clothing, in that I don't work on debt, items get paid for and are made. Someone else buying my clothesmaking knowledge and setup could follow the same path, or use real capital and sell clothing via more traditional means, which does yield more. I would of course ask for compensation for the knowledge, patterning, ideas, my resources, and my continued support that I would give in return, but it's obviously up to the buyer to provide their own management of capital and choice of business model. That money is not small, but the amount of profit generated would cover that cost within a very short period of time, depending on the type of clothes you decide to make. 2 weeks to a month to break even on your initial investment (on what you pay me and on what you decide make) with most of this stuff, and then the sky is the limit. Ideas: -Shirts, suiting, tailoreds - make a BoO-type brand of your own -I obviously make a ton of leather jackets. I can teach you all you need to know about making a leather jacket brand of your own. -bags, accessories, belts -I have more resources which I've not used yet; shoes, etc. Each 'course' could be separate, or all could be combined - essentially, TOJ. The resources and skilled labor are there for making very high quality clothing. This is not for anyone to kick around the idea of doing, or for doing to try out for fun, it's gonna require commitment. One would need to know how to add up their money, one needs to be decent with visualizing things (and I have ways to help if you're not a complete visionary), one needs to really like clothing (I can teach the technical parts that aren't known) and above all, real talk, you need to want to be your own boss and have something of your own that you're going to hold yourself accountable for nurturing, and have the passion to make big. It means quitting your day job and taking your fate into your own hands. That isn't for everybody to do. Then again, I think if you can imagine yourself doing the above, you would be rewarding yourself financially in a big way and would be very satisfied by what you're doing. I just really hated working for other people all my life, and this is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. It's honest work and it's fulfilling. I had one person contact me already, and he said he was more interested in just learning how to make clothes for him and his brother. I haven't had time to get back to him via email but I will eventually. Good intent, but that is not what I'm offering here, this is an unconventional turnkey business opportunity basically, or it's a vocational ed opportunity, with unconventioally large potential.

2. impolyt_one

I know that the above bit is a little cryptic, especially when it comes to the real stuff: money - but I will be as clear as I can be here: the initial investment required would be in the lower 5 figures, the short-term returns would be in the 6 figures, and very possibly if you play your cards right you could be in the 7 figure range for a year. That is work.

3. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

I just really hated working for other people all my life, and this is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. It's honest work and it's fulfilling.
    So why sell it so soon?

4. APK

APK Senior member

Judging by the NYT high-end fashion thread, it sounds like he's ready for a completely different business venture in a completely different location.

FWIW, I love reading Drew's posts on clothing. Guy has a genuine love and knowledge of clothing. Mixed with his strong business sense, his posts are always informative and when it comes to the kicking the 9-to-5 lifestyle to the curb, a bit inspiring.

5. impolyt_one

So why sell it so soon?

would like to remix my life a little if possible - if no one is interested in taking me up on my offer, I'll still do exactly what I am doing. I would like to have a restaurant though, and possibly get back to America and do some other stuff. I'll still make clothing but I have other ideas about that as well.

6. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

i should buy toj

leopard print moto coming soon

7. airblaster503

airblaster503 Senior member

Are there any plans to bring back the TOJ0 Varsity?

8. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Are there any plans to bring back the TOJ0 Varsity?

Sure, for just a modest five figure investment..

9. CanuckBassist

CanuckBassist Senior member

Got my moto today. Loving it. Even though it's hot as hell, I've been wearing it around the apartment. Charly got the fit just the way I wanted, but man, the shoulders sure are pointy. I know the structured shoulders were mentioned in this or the sufu thread the past few days, but I feel like some sort of Power Ranger-like, leather-clad character. I hope they settle down a bit after some wear. Like many have said so before me, the quality of the leather and construction is insane.

Marks taken off due to temporary urge to fight villains. A-, will kop again. [​IMG]

Hope the latest trench prototype can be finished soon!

10. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

where does one buy ToJ clothing???

11. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Sometimes, I really wish I weren't in school and soon to be saddled with debt, because if I were in a different place and had some money for a plan B (or if this were five years from now), I'd probably be on a flight to Korea.

12. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

you don't want to be in korea dude, trust me

13. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

you don't want to be in korea dude, trust me

Really? But aren't korean women the best??

14. ryannn

ryannn Senior member

^Yes. So flat, so perfect.

15. impolyt_one

Sure, for just a modest five figure investment..
    Sometimes, I really wish I weren't in school and soon to be saddled with debt, because if I were in a different place and had some money for a plan B (or if this were five years from now), I'd probably be on a flight to Korea.

haha. I know it seems a bit odd, but there is more to it than I want to share with everyone in my offer publicly. A driving part of what has prompted me to do this is the amount of 'fan' mail I get, and questions related to getting into this without going to fashion school or risking a lot of time/wasted effort. I also recently came to the point where I've locked down a lot of methodology and techniques to make stuff more easy. I still prototype stuff multiple times, but even that has been reduced lately, I definitely feel the improvement.

I often compare running TOJ to running a restaurant; in this case it'd be much like either a) selling you my entire (successful) restaurant, replete with the recipes, the sourcing networks and the skilled staff, the training to do it on your own, plus the future menus - minus any debts or taxes. Also, considerably fewer hours than working at a restaurant, or any other job for that matter.... or B) (and as I said, more likely) it'd be like me inviting you to my kitchen, where I give you some recipes and techniques applicable to what you want to do, giving you the supply chain and contacts connecting you with the people who would normally not deal with you because of various business factors (and if you're not buying minimums in this business, expect to be shut out), allowing one to go off on their own to make what they want to make.

It's many levels ahead of those people who say they're going to start a 'fashion label' only to turn out printed tees; this is like a ready bake oven vs a 34" wide 6-burner 220,000 BTU commercial range. [​IMG]

where does one buy ToJ clothing???

You're standing in the middle of the store!

Really? But aren't korean women the best??

PG2G, you are now forbidden from talking about asian beezys in my thread. Please relocate to asian girls threak.

16. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

Drew,

Did you get my PM?

17. jet

jet Senior member

Drew can you do the harrington in teal suede homie?

18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I know that the above bit is a little cryptic, especially when it comes to the real stuff: money - but I will be as clear as I can be here: the initial investment required would be in the lower 5 figures, the short-term returns would be in the 6 figures, and very possibly if you play your cards right you could be in the 7 figure range for a year. That is work.

It would be hilarious if Styleforum bought ToJ. Reading this, it'd sort of be tempting, but the problem is that neither j (not interested) nor I (no time) would be available to run this thing hands on, and this is not something that you can delegate and expect to be successful. Also, it's not really what we do...

19. impolyt_one

Drew can you do the harrington in teal suede homie?

Yes I can. Got a very moody teal suede that wets my panties, I had that color in mind when making this.

Biscotti, yes I did. Thinking on it as its a custom and the fur is probably either not feasible or reasonable from a cost standpoint.

20. Razele

Razele Senior member

Drew please don't stop TOJ man you were born for this

Don't make a grown man cry when no beezy ever has

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.