• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Temple of Jawnz Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
That's awesome, didn't know that. Cupro is very standard material though, many garments you end up with (and almost everything tailored) comes with it usually.

I didn't know the WvG peacoat had the denim lining in it til I read that in this thread and went and checked; that's actually pretty cool. I had considered an oxford cloth body + cupro sleeve lining in my coat, but nixed that idea, I prefer slick linings too on coats like this.
I can tell you that Mauro put a lot of money into that WvG peacoat though, that lining would've been a lot of money he didn't really need to spend, as cupro is honestly only about $1/yard and that denim lining he has is more than several multiples of that, cotton woven fabric is not cheap.

I think that it really depends on what you are trying to do. Personally, I'd be rather disappointed if a brand like Mister Freedom or Engineered Garments used cupro lining in a peacoat. It would just seem off to me. On the other hand, if you are going for a fashion brand, and want to affect a very sharp, tailored silhouette, cupro (or maybe tencel) really seems like the way to go for linings.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Washed or unwashed gray lambskin?

Covered or uncovered pockets?

Those are the questions

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I think that it really depends on what you are trying to do. Personally, I'd be rather disappointed if a brand like Mister Freedom or Engineered Garments used cupro lining in a peacoat. It would just seem off to me. On the other hand, if you are going for a fashion brand, and want to affect a very sharp, tailored silhouette, cupro (or maybe tencel) really seems like the way to go for linings.

+ 1

Definitely. It would seem odd for a brand like WWM or EG to use cupro in lining a coat.

That said, I really like the standard Band of Outsider quilted cupro lining. Feels great.

Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Washed or unwashed gray lambskin?

Covered or uncovered pockets?

Those are the questions

Get washed with covered pockets, then post pics so I can see what it looks like and make my decision
laugh.gif

I'm pondering whether to get green or gray... I kinda want green, but as I see it, it could turn out epically awesome or utterly horrific. I don't know if I can handle the risk. I've seen pics of the gray and it looks good, but green is so much more interesting...

Oh decisions decisions.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Cupro is actually made from regenerated cellulose from cotton plants. I personally have no problem with a rougher lining on coats like peacoats, nor do I really understand how guys really have that much trouble getting their arms into their jackets. I do like the cool, smooth hand of cupro though.
Do you wear thick, rough sweaters? Linings can be an absolute nightmare, especially if the outer fabric of the coat is not thick and stiff. Not only is it hard to get the coat sleeves on without dragging your sweater sleeves, it's a constant annoyance to feel that much friction inside your sleeve once the coat is on. Even the lining around the shoulders and mid back can get hung up on your sweater with a bad combination of fabrics. Slickness trumps all for me.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Do you wear thick, rough sweaters? Linings can be an absolute nightmare. Slickness trumps all.
This is what I was trying to get across. The sleeves on the WvG coat are quite slim. With the low weight wool a guy needs to layer in order to be warm (it will be -15F tonight where I live). When the coat is taken off while wearing a thick, rough sweater it could take 2 people to remove it. The person in the coat and a person pulling on the sleeve. Of course you risk stretching out the sweater that way. Or you could turn the sleeves inside-out as the coat is taken off. FOK - have you handled the WvG peacoat in person?

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this isn't me but i thought some of you might be interested to see fit pics of the oxford:
ToJOxfordShirtSizeSmall_640x480.jpg

looking great, although the sizing might be like 1/4 size too small for this guy

Stitch77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lmaozedong
this isn't me but i thought some of you might be interested to see fit pics of the oxford:

looking great, although the sizing might be like 1/4 size too small for this guy

Ha, that's me. I agree, the shirt's a little too small for me. It's a size Small, and although the shoulders fit fine the chest could do with some more room, and maybe a fraction more length would be good (I planned on wearing it untucked though so length isn't too bad). I would have been better off getting the size Medium and washing + drying it to shrink a little bit.

For those who might be interested, my body measurements are:

Height: 6ft
Weight: 72 kg (I think, haven't weighed myself in a while)
Shoulders: 16.5"
Chest: 36.5"
Waist: 31"
Hips: 32"

Thinking I'll sell this and order another (any Australians who want a deal on a size Small shirt, PM me, haha)

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One trip through the wash and you will never be able to button that thing up again. I guess you can stay with line drying it, but you'd be a lot better off just exchanging for a medium.

The fact that you have a 36" chest and can't really fit a small does not inspire confidence in "just trust the sizing".

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor
Get washed with covered pockets, then post pics so I can see what it looks like and make my decision
laugh.gif

Well that is what I was feeling from the start, and what I went with.
smile.gif
It's all been paid, so now I just wait.
bounce2.gif

Stitch77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
One trip through the wash and you will never be able to button that thing up again. I guess you can stay with line drying it, but you'd be a lot better off just exchanging for a medium.

The fact that you have a 36" chest and can't really fit a small does not inspire confidence in "just trust the sizing".

To be fair, the sizing chart Drew provided was accurate. I ordered the small without really asking first what size would be best for me. I ordered based mainly on shoulder measurements, but I have narrow shoulders so that threw things off a little. The fault's mine.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I'm very interested in a TOJ Peacoat in the medium gray micro-herringbone or black, but I was wondering if I could have the sleeves and length shortened because I'm a rather short guy myself (and if possible, I'd REALLY like to add sleeve cuffs, but that's more of a minor concern). Would that be possible? I'll pay as soon as I find out
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads