• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official SW&D thrift/discount store bragging thread

acosbysweater

Reaction score
You really don't.

Way late to reply to this, but if you realize that this thread is an extension of the Thrift Store Bragging thread moreso than a Poor Man's Version of SW&D Mainline, then you realize what I meant by saying that you should almost always buy buzzworthy brands, made with good fabrics, preferably in the first world (Shipley and Halmos are one exception as they're all made in China). King Julien mentioned two posts after you about his Yoox and eBay kops, where the Thrift Store Bragging thread folk have no idea even what Yoox is for the most part. We most certainly don't post in the $300+ sneaker/$600+ boot threads. If you come into this thread, you should have a different perspective of where we're coming from.

Last edited:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Way late to reply to this, but if you realize that this thread is an extension of the Thrift Store Bragging thread moreso than a Poor Man's Version of SW&D Mainline, then you realize what I meant by saying that you should almost always buy buzzworthy brands, made with good fabrics, preferably in the first world (Shipley and Halmos are one exception as they're all made in China).  King Julien mentioned two posts after you about his Yoox and eBay kops, where the Thrift Store Bragging thread folk have no idea even what Yoox is for the most part.  We most certainly don't post in the $300+ sneaker/$600+ boot threads.  If you come into this thread, you should have a different perspective of where we're coming from.

Vanity goes a looong way around here my dear chap. Good job.

:)

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Vanity goes a looong way around here my dear chap. Good job.
smile.gif

Let me rephrase...posters may know about it, but it's not exactly a boulevard they trot down throwing hunnits all willy nilly. We sweat the purchase of a $15 suit.

951socal

Reaction score

As long as I don't have to measure it or guarantee that it will even arrive.

If i measured a shirt i had and s2s was 17.5
and someone mesured it on a coat hanger and they came out to the same measurement however there was a slight pinch in it and it really was a 18 s2s

its one hell of a huge argument

and it REALLY does matter where exactly you measure from.

if you measure from one side of the seam to the other side of the seam thats a half inch difference

i don't know the rules so i go by tagged size

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I'm planning a fall purchase of some boots that will probably be pushing a grand... I'm still preparing myself mentally for that. :bounce2:

I just keep telling myself I can't find my clothes in thrift stores, which is largely true. I may find one piece once... nice sw&d stuff is harder to come by :(

Last edited:

muziq925

Reaction score
Found a diesel black gold likerish leather at my local buffalo exchange. I will never thrift a better leather jacket for the price.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Found a diesel black gold likerish leather at my local buffalo exchange. I will never thrift a better leather jacket for the price.

What price? I went to a buffalo exchange and found their prices to largely be above the going eBay prices.

muziq925

Reaction score
$65 for a size small. I've never handled a diesel black gold leather before but it's a nice medium weight jacket: perfect for next fall. They had a couple normal line diesel stuff. I picked up a short-sleeved fred perry button up for the summer time as well. Shirt was 16 dollars but fit me nice and slim.

Last time I had a good haul from buffalo exchange was when I bought a pair of brand new creative rec turinos for 45$ and that was a year ago. Its been all misses until now.

rayxlui

Reaction score
Picked up a BNWT Raf for Fred Perry and a pair of J Crew x Warehouse Jean Co jeans at a Crossroads. More expensive, but it's hard to find this kind of stuff at thrifts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads