• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuebert

Reaction score
Hey there,

I’m thinking about commissioning my first Stoffa Item - in specific the Flight Jacket (probably in Navy) - and would kindly ask for your advice.

My main problem: trying to figure out wether the fit is for me and therefor wether visiting one of their future Trunk Shows is worth the travel. I’ve always liked wearing Blouson-Cuts, but as the Flight Jacket seems to be extra short, I’m fearing that it might look awkward given my stature of 196cm @ 85 KG.

My Questions:
1. Any experiences on how much the jacket can be lengthened via MTM?
2. Any experience on wearing the Flight Jacket as a tall guy? If so: how does it look and does it also go with not only high waisted (Dress-)pants but also medium rise Chinos & Jeans?

Thanks in advance.

joacimbylehn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will always be adapted to the wearer, but it’s cropped model to begin with, so it’s not meant to be very long. I’d say in general it probably wouldn’t go past the top of your back pockets.
For any of their items I say it’s definitely worth going to a trunk show or visit the showroom as you can try several sizes and samples, see and touch fabrics etc. plus meeting the team is always a super nice experience.

I don’t know of anyone that tall that wears it. Simon Crompton is 183 and 76kg, so while smaller same height/weight balance. He also wears mostly low to mid rise trousers.
It’s not the best fit on him in my eyes, but it would probably help to unzip it from the bottom.

In the end each body is different so again, I’d recommend seeing the team in person.
D3E019EF-7ACC-49AA-8C6B-83794E07E91C.jpeg 15A6CDC2-AD57-4FB1-AABE-7456A6B38D16.jpeg

ClinkingThearly

Reaction score
I am only 183cm but I own two flight jackets, one in suede and one in linen.

I feel like the best answer has come in the previous post but I’ll give some input too.

I’d say definitely go to a trunk when you can, as stated you get to see all the items live, try them on and discuss fabrics and the team can best advise you if it works for you or how they can adapt the piece to your frame.

I wear mine with high rise trousers but also denim from Anglo-Italian and I think it’s just at home with denim as it is with trousers, perhaps sometimes even more so. But yes as has been stated it’s naturally cropped.
I can’t recall his height but Andreas Weinas often wears his with denim and trousers so visually that might also give you an idea of how it looks.

ezev

Reaction score
Hey there,

I’m thinking about commissioning my first Stoffa Item - in specific the Flight Jacket (probably in Navy) - and would kindly ask for your advice.

My main problem: trying to figure out wether the fit is for me and therefor wether visiting one of their future Trunk Shows is worth the travel. I’ve always liked wearing Blouson-Cuts, but as the Flight Jacket seems to be extra short, I’m fearing that it might look awkward given my stature of 196cm @ 85 KG.

My Questions:
2. Any experience on wearing the Flight Jacket as a tall guy? If so: how does it look and does it also go with not only high waisted (Dress-)pants but also medium rise Chinos & Jeans?

Thanks in advance.

tell them your thoughts up front over email or virtual appointment before travelling, book a trunk show based on that convo. Depending on how much you’re planning on lengthening, you can at least get their thoughts on how realistic this will be.

Don’t love the fit on cromp because of his narrow shoulders. The jacket gets wider at the hips on him, and there is already plenty of bulk there with the pockets. Any jacket hitting at the belt line will probably elongate your legs visually, even more so with high waist trousers. You’re quite tall, so if you carry your height through your legs, the jacket will only exaggerate that.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the jacket on Simon would look better if he wore it open. IMO, true for anyone wearing that style. If you zip it up, it's going to create that billowy midsection. But if you wear it loose and open, it will look cooler/ more flattering.

ezev

Reaction score
I think the jacket on Simon would look better if he wore it open. IMO, true for anyone wearing that style. If you zip it up, it's going to create that billowy midsection. But if you wear it loose and open, it will look cooler/ more flattering.

agreed. Fully zipped isn’t the most flattering way to wear this jacket. My only gripe with wearing it open is how much it flares out at the back, you can see it in the videos on the product page of the website.

Personally, I wear both zips in the middle and adjust from there.

ClinkingThearly

Reaction score
agreed. Fully zipped isn’t the most flattering way to wear this jacket. My only gripe with wearing it open is how much it flares out at the back, you can see it in the videos on the product page of the website.

Personally, I wear both zips in the middle and adjust from there.
I like to wear mine double zipped too. It’s also really practical for things such as when you go to sit down, you can just adjust the zip.

Any time I see a jacket without a double zip these days it’s kind of a deal breaker..

Samer

Reaction score
Hey there,

My Questions:

Thanks in advance.

I went a size up on my last flight jacket and couldn't be happier. I told the fellas to make it "slinky" and as comfortable as possible and let them take it from there. I've been wearing mine indoors as a cardigan it fits so well. Trust them on the proportions. Too often people want a certain length but don't think about how it will throw off the proportions.
IMG_0475.jpg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will always be adapted to the wearer, but it’s cropped model to begin with, so it’s not meant to be very long. I’d say in general it probably wouldn’t go past the top of your back pockets.
For any of their items I say it’s definitely worth going to a trunk show or visit the showroom as you can try several sizes and samples, see and touch fabrics etc. plus meeting the team is always a super nice experience.

I don’t know of anyone that tall that wears it. Simon Crompton is 183 and 76kg, so while smaller same height/weight balance. He also wears mostly low to mid rise trousers.
It’s not the best fit on him in my eyes, but it would probably help to unzip it from the bottom.

In the end each body is different so again, I’d recommend seeing the team in person.
View attachment 1614164 View attachment 1614165
I went a size up on my last flight jacket and couldn't be happier. I told the fellas to make it "slinky" and as comfortable as possible and let them take it from there. I've been wearing mine indoors as a cardigan it fits so well. Trust them on the proportions. Too often people want a certain length but don't think about how it will throw off the proportions. View attachment 1617373

My understanding of the reason it looks better unzipped is because its not tailoring. Whereas in tailoring, you have darts to shape the garment, you don't have that with zip up jackets, which gives the appearance of the jacket being too tight when zipped up.

Thus, a zip up jacket forms a different line than a tailored garment.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, honestly, is there any a time a guy should not wear a jacket open (unless the weather really really really doesn't permit it)?

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went a size up on my last flight jacket and couldn't be happier. I told the fellas to make it "slinky" and as comfortable as possible and let them take it from there. I've been wearing mine indoors as a cardigan it fits so well. Trust them on the proportions. Too often people want a certain length but don't think about how it will throw off the proportions. View attachment 1617373

This is the first time I’ve seen the flight jacket look great outside of stoffas advertising. Bravo!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads