• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

daisba

Reaction score
I connected with Stoffa on potential shrinkage of the knit shirt - debating vs a size 44 & 46. I was very happy with their customer service and decided to stick with 44 based on their answer below:

"As long as the knitwear is washed in cold water then it should not shrink more than 2%. In some cases you may also experience additional shrinkage of up to 3%, but is not permanent. The additional shrinkage is called ‘movement’ and is a result of the fabric constricting after washing. Light steam or a warm iron will relax the fibers and the garment should return to its original shape, less the 2% shrinkage.

The main benefit of hand washing in this case will be more control over the water temperature, as some washing machines are inconsistent. If you are in between sizes, then sizing up would certainly be a good idea. It has been our experience that a slightly looser fitting is often preferable on our knits."

K. Nights

Reaction score
That's the response I got as well, but sadly turned out not to be the case. The shrinkage was extreme and no amount of steaming or ironing made a difference.
After some back and forth, they did agree to let me return the shirt, so that's something at least. Kind of annoyed that I have to eat the cost of return shipping, but whatever

joacimbylehn

Reaction score
I connected with Stoffa on potential shrinkage of the knit shirt - debating vs a size 44 & 46. I was very happy with their customer service and decided to stick with 44 based on their answer below:

"As long as the knitwear is washed in cold water then it should not shrink more than 2%. In some cases you may also experience additional shrinkage of up to 3%, but is not permanent. The additional shrinkage is called ‘movement’ and is a result of the fabric constricting after washing. Light steam or a warm iron will relax the fibers and the garment should return to its original shape, less the 2% shrinkage.

The main benefit of hand washing in this case will be more control over the water temperature, as some washing machines are inconsistent. If you are in between sizes, then sizing up would certainly be a good idea. It has been our experience that a slightly looser fitting is often preferable on our knits."
And did it behave as they say?

joacimbylehn

Reaction score
Stòffas knits are very different from any pique I’ve ever tried and felt (don’t own any yet for the record, just tried at trunks). They don’t have that much stretch to them, so I would have assumed they therefore wouldn’t shrink as much as “normal” pique does.
Maybe it comes down to definition of what cold wash and hand washing really means? My washing machine for instance has a hand wash program, but I can set the temperature from 20 to at least 40, never tried higher than 30 though. Works well enough on my cashmere and merino stuff.
All my Eidos Lupos (last made in US run) says wash cold, I wash them in 40C cycles all the time with no issues, same with the Friday polos by Luca Avitabile. They even say wash in 40 while Crompton says cold/30. But then they are pre washed in 60C before shipping and I usually give all of them a good stretch, as I find all pique fabrics retracts a bit when washed.
In general I don’t really like the notion of anything worn directly on the skin being washed on 30 only.

daisba

Reaction score
And did it behave as they say?
It did. I washed my band collar by hand in cold water, and let it hang dry. Gave it a soft iron on low heat with some steam and it now wears exactly the same as before. Right after drying but before ironing it was very slightly tighter than it originally was, but after the iron and some wear it feels just as it did before.

I did use cold tap water - somewhere around 20C, which may make some feel like the shirt isn't getting a real wash, so keep that in mind.

ClinkingThearly

Reaction score
Just recieved my sand linen flight jacket, previously have the same jacket in suede which was a perfect fit the first time i recieved it.
This latest one however has an extra inch on the sleeve and 0.5 inches on the collar... has anyone experienced this before?

For info I did this all remotely as I haven't able to go to the trunk for the last year.

Mikerob_82

Reaction score
That's the response I got as well, but sadly turned out not to be the case. The shrinkage was extreme and no amount of steaming or ironing made a difference.
After some back and forth, they did agree to let me return the shirt, so that's something at least. Kind of annoyed that I have to eat the cost of return shipping, but whatever
Seems like BS you even had to pay return shipping.

curiousfromS

Reaction score
Just recieved my sand linen flight jacket, previously have the same jacket in suede which was a perfect fit the first time i recieved it.
This latest one however has an extra inch on the sleeve and 0.5 inches on the collar... has anyone experienced this before?

For info I did this all remotely as I haven't able to go to the trunk for the last year.
Please posting the pic :)

fingle

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm considering ordering one of Stoffa's knit t-shirts. I'm wary having read the comments about shrinkage issues that people have experienced.

Does anyone have advice in this regard? Is there a way around this (eg, ordering the next size up, hand-washing)?

IJReilly

Reaction score
Anybody know if they have ceased coming to Stockholm entirely?

joacimbylehn

Reaction score
For 2019 they changed the schedule to twice a year. Next visit isn’t announced yet but last I heard sometime in September.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm considering ordering one of Stoffa's knit t-shirts. I'm wary having read the comments about shrinkage issues that people have experienced.

Does anyone have advice in this regard? Is there a way around this (eg, ordering the next size up, hand-washing)?
I'm sure someone with experience will respond here, but stoffa's customer service is great. I'm sure they can advise, as well.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.