• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OFFICIAL Social Distancing Thread: Life in Lockdown

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Again, This is how my last few months have been when the day is over.

Then pass out and do it again.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1596657185238.png

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I seem to have struck a nerve pointing out conservitards put so much stock in being financially successful, and that being poor is somehow a moral failing, yet maybe their W2s are not ready for comparison.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Credit where it's due: @rnoldh recognizes that income inequality leads to disparate health outcomes. Good on ya, Arnie, that's a core principle of the modern Progressive movement. What do you think should be done to change the situation?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
hy1ik.jpg

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@imatlas I'm for anything that upholds, increases and buttresses Equal Opportunity for all.

Hopefully this results in equitable and just outcomes.

I'm not for mandated equal outcomes, such as, quotas, set asides, and AA, either philosophically or by legislative action.

And therein lies the rub. I believe the poors can do better by their own abilities, efforts and work, and you seem to believe that they can only get there by your opinion of what additional aid they must get.

I'm being sincere and honest here ( so you may lay off the vitriol if you're capable ), but I judge people by their merits and not by their skin color. Do you?

It's why I have genuine respect and admire black people like David Dorn, Thomas Sowell, Larry Elder, and the many black neighbors in my condo building who are primarily black middle class and some upper middle class.

I have a genuine disdain for criminals like that white POS Dylan Roof as well as the countless white meth heads that are criminals. It also explains why I consider people like George Floyd and Michael Brown to be criminal POSs and not to be admired.

You will always take the side of the brown and the downtrodden, and that is fine and admirable. But who they are and what methods should be used to uplift them is where we part.

Much of this might be generational. I think I'm about 20 years older than you ( I'm 71 ). When I look around, I see great advances that have been made and I find the over reaches today of some to be very counter productive. Comparing things to just 6 years ago is mind boggling, and hard to imagine. Whether it will lead to genuine advances in equity and not unintended consequences is still not known.

I once said to ETO that his views are shaped by CRT, and I think you're similar. I, by age, education and temperament am traditional, 20th Century American.

I'm fine with removing Lee and Bedford Forrest from public view, but I bristle when it's George Washington and John Wayne. Well, right now, CRT seems to be in the ascendancy, and might win out soon or in the future. In reality, it won't effect me at 71 years old.

What is certain, is that I won't change in my lifetime, and probably neither will you. Best that people respect other people's opinions ( certainly without having to agree with them ), but that idea seems to have diverged in the last few years.

I apologize for criticizing your contributing to gofundmes for criminals ( supposedly ), and your teaching skiing to handicapped. I do think some gofundme contributions are absurd and are done by suckers, and I do feel that your ski teaching is a great thing and very admirable, Kudos!

Having said all of this, I guess little if anything will change, but ce la vie.

Stay safe and take precautions. One thing I have never argued about nor disbelieve is Covid safety precautions. At 71 years old, with respiratory and liver problems, and overweight, I doubt I would be a "light case" if I contracted Covid.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Sure "the poors" should take it upon themselves to try for better. for the most part they need opportunities. because the type of person who creates their own opportunities is becoming a rare breed. It's the responsibility of the successful to mentor those willing to grow. To foster growth in the economy. And community.

Forgive me, but you seem very well insulated from the problems affecting the wider populace.
like all others, only a small percentage of "Whites" are rich. drug use and demographic inequality affects all colors. If people are on drugs? Those charged with helping them are not to be the executioners, regardless of color. Criminals need reform. and a reason to do right. With a harsh mentor.
You mistake disgust at their treatment with admiration for them.
Now they will not have the chance to repair their lives. Not that they had much of a chance in the current climate.
there are bigger issues here.

Ambition has no color. I think we agree on this.
The ambitious should be rewarded, not slowed down until they give up.
If you have the chance to mentor someone looking up?
of any color? please do it.

I say this to you as a man trying to start a new business in the midst of a pandemic. in a foreign country. Without help.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Credit where it's due: @rnoldh recognizes that income inequality leads to disparate health outcomes. Good on ya, Arnie, that's a core principle of the modern Progressive movement. What do you think should be done to change the situation?
Is he back?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads