• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OFFICIAL Social Distancing Thread: Life in Lockdown

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update:

So after my most recent post, I went back to bed. I woke up and was listening to the radio and overheard something. That, along with what @edinatlanta mentioned about "how are you breathing" got me thinking.

First.....I am single so no wife/kids to deal with. Even if I had a steady GF/booty call, I would not want them over here right now. So it's just me.

What I heard on the radio recap: Boomer Esiason(ex NFL player) has a son who has CF and he is really isolating in the woods but is still going out and getting exercise and building up his immune system....worst case. Boomer who had been dealing with this for 27years said that is key.

When I first started feeling sick, I figured that I would just let it run its course and all would be ok. It got worse. I felt weaker. I lost weight.

So today I made a decision to not wait for this to run it's course, but to put myself in the best position to fight it. It may sound basic, but during the week+ I have had, thinking clearly was not at the top of my to-do list.

So I took a look around and the first think that I did that I hadn't in a few days was brush my teeth. Yes....may seem basic. It wasn't to me. I also hit the Listerine.

I put on a parka, sneakers, ski hat and gloves and went outside. I walked around, coming in contact with ZERO people, for appr 7 minutes. I came back home stressed, exhausted and questioning why I did that.....but also feeling better after I was back in my lounge gear(that I still had on.) It felt good to get some fresh air in my lungs. I was not gasping for air. I was/am breathing through my nose.....so that made me feel good.

I stated that I had no appetite. Well, it would be easier for whatever I have to keep beating up on me if I kept saying that and not feeding my body. So I made a egg/cheese sandwich and ate almost 1/4. I have been drinking OJ throughout.

Starting tomorrow, I am going to try to do an exercise a day. I'm not talking jumping jacks, I am talking walking from one end of my apartment to the other X times. @edinatlanta, I agree 100% that breathing is key and if I can do whatever to keep my internals running, I am going to try.

(FYI....I would love to start with jumping jacks or skipping rope...but I would surely collapse.)

Around dinner time, when I would just chalk up not eating to no appetite(<< do you know that I just had to Google "when you have no desire to eat" as I am a little light headed right now), I didn't stick to that.

So I heated up a small bowl of some chicken stock and drank that. I must say, it tasted great. Still no smell.

My phone rang a few times and I didn't bother answering. I spend the rest of the day watching Youtube Forensic Files episodes.

It is funny that I feel a little light headed now, but that's ok as I am in bed.

Tomorrow, I will look to run a similar plan. Walk the apartment for exercise. I WILL eat, even if it's just stock.

Yes, there are others who gave great advice. This all came together today.

So my update is to stop waiting for this to run through me and to hopefully do what I can to push it out!

Update:

Ok....I was up at the usual 5:40am this morning. I like to listen to some local news while reading online.

I used the toilet for maybe the 2-3 time during all of this. This morning was a welcome release.

At around 7, I got up and walked the length of my apartment, into my study, back out and around my coffee table and around again appr 15 times. No, I was not breaking a sweat, but I was breathing vs just lying down. It felt good.

I had some chicken stock after but felt that was not much so I ate 1/5 of a hero bread(nothing on it.) I changed and I must say, I was tired. I laid down and fell out until about 10am. It did feel good to get some food in me and the walk around over with before pushing it off a day.

A few things to note:
-My sense of smell is back. I was using some hand sanitizer after doing something and I smelled it right away. That's a plus!
-The dry cough is back. It never left. It is just back more frequent now.
-I tried the "hold your breath for 10 seconds" test 2-3 times today(see below.) I can do it. It's a DAMM struggle at times.
-My fingernails look horrible. Lack of nutrients? Illness? Combo? I always give myself a mani every 7-10 days so I will look to get that done soon.
-I sat up vs laid down more than usual today.
-Looking in the mirror, I know I have lost a good deal of weight. I have stayed away from the scale as I need to stop scaring myself and start getting better.
-I do feel as if it takes a few minutes for my breathing to get back to normal after I do something.

Mid day, I did nothing special(I have left work details out of all of this). I watched the 2003 NCAA men's basketball championship between Syracuse and Kansas. I'm a Carmelo Anthony fan(no....not due to Syracuse, Denver, Knicks, etc......just a Melo fan) and haven't watched that game since it happened.

I started thinking/craving food! I haven't had an appetite during all of this and here I was craving food? I ordered some beef/rice/white beans with a chicken soup from my Peruvian spot. I expected to finish a few bites and for it to last several days.

I ate 3/4 of the platter! I have 1/4 of the main meal and the entire soup left! Leftovers for tomorrow. That just felt great.

It was a good first day pushing myself. A little tiring. Very rewarding(the meal.) Eye opening(my nails.) But I am getting there.

Everyone who has commented, thumbs up, etc...THANK YOU! I see/read them. It means the world to have some support and get some ideas and thoughts on how to push through. Please.....keep them coming.

So I happen to catch this video earlier today. I am not a fan of the person or network....and at the very end, you will see why. But it was very interesting.

(Disclaimer......I have NEVER once mentioned COVID-19 or Corona in these updates. I have not been tested. I have not claimed that I am suffering from it. There are many symptoms that are similar to what I have and some that aren't. I don't want anyone to think that I am diagnosing myself or claiming that I have it w/o being tested.)

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hang in there, man. Nutrition is important, try to get down what you can and go for high nutrient density -- eggs, meat, fish, dairy, nuts etc.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update:

Ok....I was up at the usual 5:40am this morning. I like to listen to some local news while reading online.

I used the toilet for maybe the 2-3 time during all of this. This morning was a welcome release.

At around 7, I got up and walked the length of my apartment, into my study, back out and around my coffee table and around again appr 15 times. No, I was not breaking a sweat, but I was breathing vs just lying down. It felt good.

I had some chicken stock after but felt that was not much so I ate 1/5 of a hero bread(nothing on it.) I changed and I must say, I was tired. I laid down and fell out until about 10am. It did feel good to get some food in me and the walk around over with before pushing it off a day.

A few things to note:
-My sense of smell is back. I was using some hand sanitizer after doing something and I smelled it right away. That's a plus!
-The dry cough is back. It never left. It is just back more frequent now.
-I tried the "hold your breath for 10 seconds" test 2-3 times today(see below.) I can do it. It's a DAMM struggle at times.
-My fingernails look horrible. Lack of nutrients? Illness? Combo? I always give myself a mani every 7-10 days so I will look to get that done soon.
-I sat up vs laid down more than usual today.
-Looking in the mirror, I know I have lost a good deal of weight. I have stayed away from the scale as I need to stop scaring myself and start getting better.
-I do feel as if it takes a few minutes for my breathing to get back to normal after I do something.

Mid day, I did nothing special(I have left work details out of all of this). I watched the 2003 NCAA men's basketball championship between Syracuse and Kansas. I'm a Carmelo Anthony fan(no....not due to Syracuse, Denver, Knicks, etc......just a Melo fan) and haven't watched that game since it happened.

I started thinking/craving food! I haven't had an appetite during all of this and here I was craving food? I ordered some beef/rice/white beans with a chicken soup from my Peruvian spot. I expected to finish a few bites and for it to last several days.

I ate 3/4 of the platter! I have 1/4 of the main meal and the entire soup left! Leftovers for tomorrow. That just felt great.

It was a good first day pushing myself. A little tiring. Very rewarding(the meal.) Eye opening(my nails.) But I am getting there.

Everyone who has commented, thumbs up, etc...THANK YOU! I see/read them. It means the world to have some support and get some ideas and thoughts on how to push through. Please.....keep them coming.

So I happen to catch this video earlier today. I am not a fan of the person or network....and at the very end, you will see why. But it was very interesting.

(Disclaimer......I have NEVER once mentioned COVID-19 or Corona in these updates. I have not been tested. I have not claimed that I am suffering from it. There are many symptoms that are similar to what I have and some that aren't. I don't want anyone to think that I am diagnosing myself or claiming that I have it w/o being tested.)

I know what you mean about the unexpected hunger. When i was 13/14 i had some really bad sore throat whatever. I've always eaten a lot amd then i was a fat kid who couldn't stop getting fatter. Anyway I went like 7 days without eating. My dad brought home some burger king and he me and my mom sit down and i ask him for a bite of whopper. Literally i took one bite and couldn't stop eating the whole thing.

Stat strong my man. Keep up the healing process and you're rounding the curve.

Cant wait to resume ******** on you

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My substitute father just got a cancer diagnosis today. He lives in Spain, so any visit to the hospital will be dangerous at his age, 76. Luckily the cancer ward is on a quiet side of the hospital so not many visitors there.

I‘ve checked all the ways I usually can get there, it’s impossible ? closest I can get is the border between France and Spain by car. But until the Spanish government lifts the state of emergency there is no way I can get there. It’s ironic, I’ve been in airplanes for more than a week a month for the last couple of years, and always figured I could be there in a heartbeat if the need arose. ****

Tomorrow we will learn at what stage it is and whether treatment is possible. I just hope it’s treatable and that he will recover.

Not sure what to do with myself, not in the mood for drinking.

brokencycle

Reaction score
My substitute father just got a cancer diagnosis today. He lives in Spain, so any visit to the hospital will be dangerous at his age, 76. Luckily the cancer ward is on a quiet side of the hospital so not many visitors there.

I‘ve checked all the ways I usually can get there, it’s impossible ? closest I can get is the border between France and Spain by car. But until the Spanish government lifts the state of emergency there is no way I can get there. It’s ironic, I’ve been in airplanes for more than a week a month for the last couple of years, and always figured I could be there in a heartbeat if the need arose. ****

Tomorrow we will learn at what stage it is and whether treatment is possible. I just hope it’s treatable and that he will recover.

Is substitute father like stepfather?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is substitute father like stepfather?
Kinda. My father seemed determined to **** up my life, and while my stepfather did take care of me at some crucial points he wasn’t interested in me other than paying for stuff.

It was this guy, the father of a friend at the time, who took it upon himself to listen, coach, help and develop me. This was because I was talking back to him, and making sense for a 18 year old, at a time when most people where scared to do so (a former prof. who turned into one of the big turnaround CEO’s in NL and DE at the time). He saw something in me. Their own son, that former friend of mine, is out of the picture leaving them in trouble (long story) and at the time I helped them out as a form of paying it back. As a result I’m their ‘son’ as they see it, and in ways of thinking and doing I am. I owe him in a large part to where I got.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Kinda. My father seemed determined to **** up my life, and while my stepfather did take care of me at some crucial points he wasn’t interested in me other than paying for stuff.

It was this guy, the father of a friend at the time, who took it upon himself to listen, coach, help and develop me. This was because I was talking back to him, and making sense for a 18 year old, at a time when most people where scared to do so (a former prof. who turned into one of the big turnaround CEO’s in NL and DE at the time). He saw something in me. Their own son, that former friend of mine, is out of the picture leaving them in trouble (long story) and at the time I helped them out as a form of paying it back. As a result I’m their ‘son’ as they see it, and in ways of thinking and doing I am. I owe him in a large part to where I got.

Makes sense. Sorry to hear that man. My stepdad made a huge difference in my life and he died of cancer about 18 months ago (technically he got a bone marrow transplant that saved him but a few years later his body rejected the transplant). It was tough, and it still bothers me that I wasn't there in the end.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. Sorry to hear that man. My stepdad made a huge difference in my life and he died of cancer about 18 months ago (technically he got a bone marrow transplant that saved him but a few years later his body rejected the transplant). It was tough, and it still bothers me that I wasn't there in the end.
Those that get closest aren’t necessarily family, and we should treasure that while we can. Learned that a long time ago. Sorry to hear that about your stepdad.

I’m hoping that it’ll turn out alright but I will be flying there the minute I can.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went out to get groceries. Already felt a little weird getting dressed "properly" -- ie. not sweats or workout gear. Store quiet, well stocked and all staff and patrons wearing gloves and face coverings. Scuttled back home with my cargo of eggs, steak, Greek yoghurt and tequila.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
****. Hope it goes well.
Yeah we'll see. He's got diabetes and hypertension and had one of the Heps at one point (IIRC).

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Had to get out of the house.
masksnowfit.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mafe a roasted garlic and herb no knead bread yesterday. It was good. I think there was so much moisture from the garlic that it made the inside a bit too moist. The recipe i used also only used ap flour and it was a wet dough even by no knead bread standards

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It’s Hodgkin and probably very treatable. It’s not going to be fun for them, but the clinic is separate and doesn’t see any COVID patients, so that’s a relief. Probably I’ll probably get to see him for another few years, which I will make full use of once the emergency lockdown is over.

thanks for the reactions guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics