• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Skiing / Snowboarding / Playing in the Snow Thread

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never noticed this thread before - but have gone through a ski renaissance lately (nb: I grew up in Whistler and raced into my teens - however, I unfortunately took a long break in my 20s, skiing only sporadically).

In any event, I've booked three trips for next year: Telluride (mid-Feb), J Hole (early March), and CB (mid-March).

I was wondering, for those who have done it:

Feel fine about skiing Corbet's at J Hole (in terms of it being open) - I like my odds in early March. And by then, I feel like I'll have some great conditions for side- and backcountry skiing. However, I was wondering about Telluride, and specifically, the hike up to Palmyra Peak. If anyone is familiar with the mountain, do you know when Palmyra Peak typically opens and, if so, what the snowfall typically looks like by mid-Feb (I can still perhaps push the trip back)? Further, if you have done the hike, how rough is it (in terms of difficulty and exposure)? I'll be going regardless, but like to prepare myself mentally :).

Also, very excited about testing out my new sidecountry, one-quiver kit (which I'll add to my Nordic and AT stuff, which I am sick of traveling with):

nordica-enforcer-104-free-skis-2020-172.jpg

(Nordica Enforcer 104 Free)

salomon-s-lab-shift-mnc-alpine-touring-ski-bindings-2020-90.jpg

(Salomon S/LAB Shift)

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/search.php?searchid=19504814
Here's Telluride. A search will probably yield any other info you could want

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't see as much information as I was hoping for when I checked various forums (for some reason, there is a serious dearth of information on Telluride).

May just have to cross my fingers :).

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vail corp just billed my season pass.The wait begins.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rode a chairlift the other day.

Unfortunately it was just a sightseeing ride at Lake Louise... No snow in sight.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just bought an Ikon pass.

Going on a group trip this spring that cuts $$$ off the trip price if you have your own pass. Combined with a student discount, it puts the net price of the base pass at like $339.

Pretty sure I can make that worth my while.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought an Ikon pass.

Going on a group trip this spring that cuts $$$ off the trip price if you have your own pass. Combined with a student discount, it puts the net price of the base pass at like $339.

Pretty sure I can make that worth my while.
Where you going?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
That's a killer deal. I get a pretty smoking price as a volunteer ski instructor and that's still better.

Come on out to Cali and we'll have a ***** Valley meetup.

I just ordered new bindings for one my backcountry rigs this morning. Are there any backcountry skiers or boarders on here?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4 days at steamboat in late march (never been)

An old friend recently moved to Denver and also bought an Ikon pass. Plan right now is to go out the days prior to the steamboat trip and hit some other places (that's enough to come out ahead on the pass right there).
Probably try and visit him other times as well as I have never skied *any* of the colorado resorts that Ikon covers. Really looking forward to hitting A-basin and seeing what Aspen is all about. Copper and Winter Park, maybe even Eldora.
Also trying to see if some friends want to do Jackson Hole as I'd love to go back...

Never been to Tahoe, but I've always wanted to check out *****. There was some talk about going after thanksgiving, but I think that fell apart.

My only constraint is that I might be taking a Friday night class this winter which makes things difficult. Can't just fly to Denver friday night and back Sunday night/monday morning.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a killer deal. I get a pretty smoking price as a volunteer ski instructor and that's still better.

I just ordered new bindings for one my backcountry rigs this morning. Are there any backcountry skiers or boarders on here?
Too old and lazy. Tahoe meatup sounds fun though. I haven't been to Squallywood in a couple years. Mid week Spring corn??

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was some talk about going after thanksgiving, but I think that fell apart.

Unless you mean a month after thanksgiving, probably not worth coming out to California. Most years we don't really have enough snow to be interesting until Christmas. I almost never bother before New Years.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately, more side-country than back-country here. I'd love to do more backcountry trips but I just don't have the time. Still travel with my avy gear though.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get an Epic Senior gives me the Wood, the Heave and N* they're $399 this year. Gets paid for in 4-5 days. I got in the low 30s last year so not too pricey

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you mean a month after thanksgiving, probably not worth coming out to California. Most years we don't really have enough snow to be interesting until Christmas. I almost never bother before New Years.
Same here I'll try some early Dec low tide if we got it but then there's Christmas/NY clusterfuck

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Mount Rose can be worth an early season visit but you're better off in CO at that time of year.

I've been thinking about attending a conference for adaptive skiers & instructors that's held in CO the first week of December every year.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured as much, but the idea was to fit it in in conjunction with thanksgiving and my GF's close family friend who lives in truckee and...skiing is skiing!

I think the earliest I have ever skied was thanksgiving weekend at Breckenridge many many years ago. No real memories, but I think it was sufficiently snowy by then that it felt like a full ski area. Otherwise I'm pretty much all post-christmas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads