• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Skiing / Snowboarding / Playing in the Snow Thread

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should probably give my skis some more TLC. Before a hot wax on Sunday (which made a huge difference in the sticky snow), hadn't waxed them in years. Don't have any core shots and really only have one bad ptex gouge on my roughly decade old Mantras. I leave my skis at friend's house in Tahoe so I don't have a lot of time to spend with them to do any work. Maybe I will buy some ptex and wax and get them back into ship shape before next season.

In related news, my kids really seem to love skiing. Thinking really hard about sticking them on the kids ski team at the hill we go to. I love the kids on those teams that I run into and it's clear they have a great time and love skiing which is my number one goal for the kids. The only concern we have is the commitment required to hoof it up to the mountains every weekend, particularly as it would require us to either buy a place, do a ski lease or massively ramp up our imposition on friends.

Definitely want to pick up some new sticks. I'm down to a 2 ski quiver: one set of midfats (96 under foot IIRC) and a really heavy set of powder skis (118 under foot?) that are center-mounted twin tips and fun but don't really fit the way I ski these days.

I should probably get a new set of slightly fatter every day skis and slightly narrower powder skis but I still have a lot of fun on my current skis so there isn't a ton of motivation.

n9 - started to notice all the Black Crows on the hill this weekend. Which ones have you skiied and are there any you recommend? Thinking Corvus (that's their original ski right?), Navis or Daemon. My dailys are Mantras and I love them truly. They also have a ton of life left in them even though they are advanced in age.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As long as the kids don't get the too-much racing pressure burnout...
And as long as they don't get to the point where they need to start going to Chile or New Zealand for summer practice...

I'm really thankful I was able to race in high school. When I was a little kid, I think I was jealous of the few people I knew who did juniors racing, but in the end I was glad my parents never went for that stuff and that I only raced in HS. Conveniently, I went to a high school that had a team, but not a good team, so I was able to get a good level of participation but keep it pretty casual. We only had one of those kids who had been racing forever...and he was suffering mad burnout from parental pressure or something. I wouldn't be surprised if he never skied again.

I think it had a tremendous impact on my skiing. We may have only had 175ft of vertical on our practice hill (and not much more at the race destinations), but being able to get out ~3 times a week with coaching was incredible. Especially considering how much of the focus is on perfecting technique in the worst possible conditions (slipped out icy race courses). You'd have to pay a ton of money to get the same level and quantity of instruction through lessons...

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ski team at our hill isn't about racing, at least not early on. Eventually you can join the development programs and choose racing, freestyle or big mountain but that's not really the focus on the kids ski team. The kids programs focus on skill development, fun, safety and being a part of a team. I've ridden a lot of lifts and seen the kids on the hill for a long time and have always been impressed with the development of the kids and the atmosphere the coaches foster.

Definitely agree that being on a team is more cost-effective than individual lessons, by a lot. There is also continuity and more of a focus on long-term development as opposed to short-term skills building.

I've had some friends who coach the development teams as well and those seem great for the older kids who get more serious about it as a sport but first and foremost I view skiing as a recreational activity.

They had some kind of nastar nationals race this weekend and at some point announced the national champion in the 6-7 year old class. On the one hand it's awesome that you can be a national champion at the age of 6, but on the other hand I feel like turning everything into a competition extinguishes joy from childhood. No thanks.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh nice--that sounds really cool.

Hell, I'd almost join an adult version of that! Especially since the best way to improve is to ski with people better than you...and none of my friends really meet that criteria right now.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should probably give my skis some more TLC. Before a hot wax on Sunday (which made a huge difference in the sticky snow), hadn't waxed them in years. Don't have any core shots and really only have one bad ptex gouge on my roughly decade old Mantras. I leave my skis at friend's house in Tahoe so I don't have a lot of time to spend with them to do any work. Maybe I will buy some ptex and wax and get them back into ship shape before next season.

In related news, my kids really seem to love skiing. Thinking really hard about sticking them on the kids ski team at the hill we go to. I love the kids on those teams that I run into and it's clear they have a great time and love skiing which is my number one goal for the kids. The only concern we have is the commitment required to hoof it up to the mountains every weekend, particularly as it would require us to either buy a place, do a ski lease or massively ramp up our imposition on friends.

n9 - started to notice all the Black Crows on the hill this weekend. Which ones have you skiied and are there any you recommend? Thinking Corvus (that's their original ski right?), Navis or Daemon. My dailys are Mantras and I love them truly. They also have a ton of life left in them even though they are advanced in age.
Never skied the Crows just heard a lot of talk. If you are looking to replace your Mantras and you like that stiff long tail feel I would look at the Dynastar Legend x96 I talked my buddy into replacing his totally trashed and worn out red Mantras with them and he loves them

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kirwood closed on sunday they got 5 inches monday night. The heave where my pass is also valid is open for 2 more weeks. They got an epic(sic) <1 inch. ******* Vail&*&$#@$%^^

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At ***** with the kids again. Snow was okay but without lessons for the kids it’s a lot of work. Did a few runs with kids and our friends, had a long boozy lunch and calling it a day.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks too warm this week without an overnight re-freeze it'll be slop by 10:00 :violin:

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hanging up the boots for the year.

Just wrapped up one more trip to the mountains and it definitely went from surprisingly good late winter skiing to late spring in the blink of an eye.

That said, the kids had a lot of fun and UnF Jr. decided to try skiing switch (because I do it almost exclusively to watch the kids and make things more interesting) and ripped off a great run with parallel turns (arguably better than kid’s forward turns for whatever reason).

Capped off a really fun season and the kids are psyched for next winter.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hanging up the boots for the year.

Just wrapped up one more trip to the mountains and it definitely went from surprisingly good late winter skiing to late spring in the blink of an eye.

That said, the kids had a lot of fun and UnF Jr. decided to try skiing switch (because I do it almost exclusively to watch the kids and make things more interesting) and ripped off a great run with parallel turns (arguably better than kid’s forward turns for whatever reason).

Capped off a really fun season and the kids are psyched for next winter.
Went to the heave on tuesday , between the limited terrain and early slop out I'm feeling done. I did watch a guy straight line a blue groomer top to bottom ,at least what I could see, switch. When things get boring enough to do things like that its pretty much over.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
4A1AE4D9-8C46-4F37-8ACF-668B23F086B3.jpeg
Spent the morning at Mt Rose, with the idea that the extra elevation and northerly aspects would translate into firmer snow; my assumption was correct and it was a fun morning.

I bumped into an instructor I know, who runs the adaptive program at Sky Tavern, a really cool little non profit. I also did a few runs with a random couple I met on the lift. Every time I go to Rose people try to sell me on moving to Reno; these two were no different. He’s a builder so I asked for his card...you never know!

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mt Rose The Biggest Little Ski Hill in the World! Love that place ,don't get up there nearly often as I would like.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Goddamn if this isn’t the winter that wouldn’t quit!

I’m heading to Lassen Peak in the morning for a couple of days of backcountry skiing in the freshies!

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goddamn if this isn’t the winter that wouldn’t quit!

I’m heading to Lassen Peak in the morning for a couple of days of backcountry skiing in the freshies!
Yesterday at the Heave was decent had fun. Hard driving past Kirkwood looking at all that fresh new snow. My latest storm day was at ***** June 5 back in the late 80s I think.Have fun

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never noticed this thread before - but have gone through a ski renaissance lately (nb: I grew up in Whistler and raced into my teens - however, I unfortunately took a long break in my 20s, skiing only sporadically).

In any event, I've booked three trips for next year: Telluride (mid-Feb), J Hole (early March), and CB (mid-March).

I was wondering, for those who have done it:

Feel fine about skiing Corbet's at J Hole (in terms of it being open) - I like my odds in early March (well, provided I don't chicken out). And by then, I feel like I'll have some great conditions for side- and backcountry skiing. However, I was wondering about Telluride, and specifically, the hike up to Palmyra Peak. If anyone is familiar with the mountain, do you know when Palmyra Peak typically opens and, if so, what the snowfall typically looks like by mid-Feb (I can still perhaps push the trip back)? Further, if you have done the hike, how rough is it (in terms of difficulty and exposure)? I'll be going regardless, but like to prepare myself mentally :).

Also, very excited about testing out my new sidecountry, one-quiver kit (which I'll add to my Nordic and AT stuff, which I am sick of traveling with):

nordica-enforcer-104-free-skis-2020-172.jpg

(Nordica Enforcer 104 Free)

salomon-s-lab-shift-mnc-alpine-touring-ski-bindings-2020-90.jpg

(Salomon S/LAB Shift)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads