• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Skiing / Snowboarding / Playing in the Snow Thread

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Numbernine Where are you at in Tahoe? Made it out to Heavenly a few years ago and was lucky enough to wake up to about 2 fresh feet one of the days.

@otc I'm not an expert by any stretch, but do you feel like you're far enough forward on takeoff?

I'm currently deciding whether or not to jump into a ski camp in the summer through https://partybeachskicamps.com/. Less to improve my skiing and more to hang out with Marcus Caston for a week.

On the first video (which is a little more of a jump than a drop), I definitely didn't have enough pop for my speed and ended up back seat. If I go frame by frame it looks like I didn't straighten my legs to complete the pop before feet went over the edge.

On the other hand, when I double ejected, I was definitely too far forwards. it was a short drop with a downward sloping run-in and the landing wasn't that steep. Snow was soft but starting to be more mashed potatoes and I just walked right out of both skis as they started to dig in.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm currently deciding whether or not to jump into a ski camp in the summer through https://partybeachskicamps.com/. Less to improve my skiing and more to hang out with Marcus Caston for a week.

That actually sounds pretty neat. I do miss doing drills and stuff and I like that those big mountain focused ones are not race- or park-specific.

I did a small group lesson not that long ago and while I had a good time, it was more of a guided mountain tour with tips/pointers thrown in. Was nice to be able to skip lines and find secret spots on a powder day, but its not like we were doing drills or repeating things to perfection. I'm sure I could get that experience in a full private lesson, but that's $$$ at most resorts.

Doesn't fit my planned summer schedule though as I'm taking a class that starts during the first week. Wonder what the "daily drop in" is like...class is only one day a week so I could show up for half of a camp or something if that doesn't mean missing key features.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
39920E4B-8BD8-41DF-ABA2-1BA3EF8F5B57.jpeg
Spring is the best time to pick up new stuff. Prices are about as low as they get and you still have snow to play with it.
New “other than fat” skis 1 day skied and new base prep.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That actually sounds pretty neat. I do miss doing drills and stuff and I like that those big mountain focused ones are not race- or park-specific.

I did a small group lesson not that long ago and while I had a good time, it was more of a guided mountain tour with tips/pointers thrown in. Was nice to be able to skip lines and find secret spots on a powder day, but its not like we were doing drills or repeating things to perfection. I'm sure I could get that experience in a full private lesson, but that's $$$ at most resorts.

Doesn't fit my planned summer schedule though as I'm taking a class that starts during the first week. Wonder what the "daily drop in" is like...class is only one day a week so I could show up for half of a camp or something if that doesn't mean missing key features.
From the looks of those vids you might want to look into Straightline Adventures . They are aimed at skiers who already ski blacks and double blacks. I know some extremely competent guys who went and had good things to say.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a steep and deep camp at Jackson a while ago and it was awesome. The wife and I have been talking about returning for a number of years and there's a decent shot we do it in 2020. Will look into straightline adventures!

Spring is the best time to pick up new stuff. Prices are about as low as they get and you still have snow to play with it.
New “other than fat” skis 1 day skied and new base prep.

Definitely want to pick up some new sticks. I'm down to a 2 ski quiver: one set of midfats (96 under foot IIRC) and a really heavy set of powder skis (118 under foot?) that are center-mounted twin tips and fun but don't really fit the way I ski these days.

I should probably get a new set of slightly fatter every day skis and slightly narrower powder skis but I still have a lot of fun on my current skis so there isn't a ton of motivation.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will definitely check out those camps--although I did like the idea of a summer camp for scheduling reasons.

Of course I have to be careful about getting better...too much improvement and I'm going to have to find new friends!

Definitely want to pick up some new sticks. I'm down to a 2 ski quiver: one set of midfats (96 under foot IIRC) and a really heavy set of powder skis (118 under foot?) that are center-mounted twin tips and fun but don't really fit the way I ski these days.

I should probably get a new set of slightly fatter every day skis and slightly narrower powder skis but I still have a lot of fun on my current skis so there isn't a ton of motivation.

I was pleasantly surprised with how well the rustler 10s felt in pretty much straight spring conditions at 104 under foot. Sure, they could have carved harder on the morning ice, but otherwise they have been pretty fun all around. I had some discussions with the ON3P owner on the /r/skiing discord and he was firmly of the opinion that that width was "no mans land" but they feel good to me and Nordica just added an extra enforcer model at 104.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black Crows are the hot ski of the hour in Tahoe. Certainly reasonably priced.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spring storms
iWd2L1PCSDuFoaLMyR9l2w.jpg fullsizeoutput_23c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_23d.jpeg

Reactions: otc

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today kind of sucked at ***** but I did enjoy the maiden voyage for my Booster Straps.

Fortunately had enough foresight not to prebook my kids ski lesson. When we showed up they told us the top (where my kids lesson would primarily be held) might not open due to wind conditions but that we were welcome to pay and hope for the best. We ended up screwing around all morning, ditching the kids with family and skiing the afternoon. Had some fun on Granite but still mostly a bad day.

Hoping for more cooperation from the wind gods tomorrow.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be good chasing the soft

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking at some photos from this trip, I realized that I hate the way the loud white "HEAD" logo on the side of my boots looks in pictures (this is SF...).

So, while I was waiting for the post-season wax on my skis to cool, I took a sharpie and blacked out the logos. Big improvement.

Also, I think I might just be hard on skis. I only have 8 days on these things and they are pretty beat up. I've already dribbled ptex into both skis and had to clean up the edges. Burrs are gone but there are still spots that are chewed up pretty good.

Probably not going to bother with a base grind anytime soon though. They still work and I'll save that for when they get even more messed up.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at some photos from this trip, I realized that I hate the way the loud white "HEAD" logo on the side of my boots looks in pictures (this is SF...).

So, while I was waiting for the post-season wax on my skis to cool, I took a sharpie and blacked out the logos. Big improvement.

Also, I think I might just be hard on skis. I only have 8 days on these things and they are pretty beat up. I've already dribbled ptex into both skis and had to clean up the edges. Burrs are gone but there are still spots that are chewed up pretty good.

Probably not going to bother with a base grind anytime soon though. They still work and I'll save that for when they get even more messed up.
Long as you don’t have a core shot you’re probably good . Side edge guide and a couple diamond stones are kinda mandatory if you ski firm. If you have dedicated soft snow skis all you need is wax

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even in the soft, I'll manage to find some branch buried in the snow that will jab into my base...

But hey, I'm pretty good with the ptex candle.

And I've got plenty of this stuff for when things go wrong on the other side... #volklproblems

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I leave mine in the back of my truck ,it’s covered, all winter . Just take them out to wax or ski

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads