• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Skiing / Snowboarding / Playing in the Snow Thread

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Below zero in Duluth today, but that meant nobody was at spirit. Lapping the park rope tow keeps you warm and out of the wind that's hitting the chairs.

Made some good progression. Was about to grind all of the way to the end of a couple easy rails and was pretty solid coming on/off boxes... Not a single "feet slide out, slam hip down" crash.

And I got a few videos for my records
IMG_0808_exported_11980_1612653287651.jpg

My dream is to get that, but with a spin... Jonny Moseley's nagano gold medal 360 mute grab.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is this fat ski thing I'm riding around on in below zero temps?

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Me too, one of my favorite mountains in the US. I love that part of WY. Have you skied over the back of the Tetons? I can't remember the name of the pass but the road linking Jackson and the western resorts had some incredible side country.

Is that off-mountain? I thought that was one the of the runs where you ultimately used the Union Pass Traverse? (Can't tell if it is the Hobacks, or one of the adjacent ridges/bowls. Makes me miss JH, such a great place to ski.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My timing is, as usual, absolutely terrible.

After weeks in northern mn where we had about 3" total and below zero temps almost daily, we head back to Chicago where they might get 13"tonight and have had at least 2 other big snows and mild temps while we were gone.
Not that that really matters as you can't ski in Chicago.

Also skipping mount Bohemia looked like the right choice at the beginning of this trip when they hadn't even opened yet, but since then they have filled in and had 9 straight powder days.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything in Tahoe is open but it's skiing only no lodge, food, refreshments or indoor seating. Kind of brutal on a full on storm day.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like my ideal kind of resort!

The places I was at had room for specifically warming with a posted 15 min limit (but probably not enforced)... Although some did have restaurants open with spaced tables and online ordering... But that's not something I'd be willing to do.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First day we were surprised they didn't have coffee. No problem we just bring our own now.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Sounds like my ideal kind of resort!

The places I was at had room for specifically warming with a posted 15 min limit (but probably not enforced)... Although some did have restaurants open with spaced tables and online ordering... But that's not something I'd be willing to do.
Mine too. I remember skiing Fortress which was a tiny resort just out of Banff. No food, nothing. Just powder and no people. It was heaven

Nbarbar

Reaction score
@Nbarbar $ and I drive a 16 civic that I wouldn't trust up that way if it were to storm so kind of just outta luck.
good points. Looks likes it’s pretty wild in terms of avalanches now, the guys up at Telluride have been posting some amazing images of slides in the BC

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm heading to Telluride next week :0

Nbarbar

Reaction score
I'm heading to Telluride next week :0
@Newcomer My favourite spot. Hit up Telluride Heli, they often have last minute spots for $1K which is either a total waste of money or the best $1K you will ever spend in your life depending on the day.
I also recommend guiding into Bear Creek.
and then there is the monster, Grandfather which I’ve never had the balls to tackle.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Newcomer My favourite spot. Hit up Telluride Heli, they often have last minute spots for $1K which is either a total waste of money or the best $1K you will ever spend in your life depending on the day.
I also recommend guiding into Bear Creek.
and then there is the monster, Grandfather which I’ve never had the balls to tackle.

I love Telluride. Really want to get a ranch in Placerville. Maybe one day. I try to go to Telluride for a couple weeks a year.

I have a reservation with Telluride Heliski, and a guide to take me into Bear Creek/Alta, depending on how things go :). I've been re-reading some avalanche books, which always give me a healthy dose of caution.

Grandfather couloir looks absurd. While I may have the ski skills, don't really have the mountaineering skills to tackle that one. I have always been interested in the San Joaquin couloir. Just gorgeous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads