• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Skiing / Snowboarding / Playing in the Snow Thread

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only things worse than no snow are manmade snow or avy chunder

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Made it on the snow. Indy pass includes Buck Hill and I'm in Minneapolis right now, so I zipped over for a couple hours.

Was good to shake out the cobwebs and remember what it feels like to ski but unless you are in the junior race program, Buck is pretty small.

People were doing well with covid stuff. Masks were worn and they had a straight "ride with your household" policy. No trying to put 2 singles in opposite sides of the chair or anything like that. I went early (and they may be restricting ticket sales), so there weren't many lines, but nobody ever tried to crowd on the lift with you or anything like that.

That's part of why I went there rather than another 30min across the border into WI to a slightly bigger area...WI is just a covid **** show and I didn't trust them to have or enforce rules.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kookwood looks like they're rolling chairs. Mighty quiet for a holiday fresh snow day

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heard from my friend in Denver who decided to give his ikon pass it's first try yesterday at copper.

Screenshot_20210102-135545.png

And that's on a holiday!

Of course the resorts would never actually do that. All those day passes and extra season pass sales are necessary along with the restaurant/bar sales.

I figured reservations reducing crowding (once plenty of lifts are open) would be great, but I didn't think about the effect it would have on I70 traffic.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just booked days at Kookwood Thurs and Friday this week. Looks like a couple feet from tomorrow until Thursday morning. @otc already beat me to first turns of the year but I might just snag the first powder days.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, I had a whole 3-4 inches in the UP of michigan a couple days ago... Maybe even 6 in spots!

They aren't getting the big lake effect dumps yet... Place was only half open because they can blow snow for base and plow it around.

Mt Bohemia thinks they won't be open at all for another 2 weeks or so... They need something like 3-4 feet to fall before they spin lifts and it just hasn't been happening.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1610051378473.png

Man...not quite 49 each way for me, but I'm seeing nonstops for $181 round trip from here.

If the end-of-february steep and deep camp had open spots, that'd almost be worth strapping on an N95 and goggles...

Nbarbar

Reaction score
View attachment 1530992

Man...not quite 49 each way for me, but I'm seeing nonstops for $181 round trip from here.

If the end-of-february steep and deep camp had open spots, that'd almost be worth strapping on an N95 and goggles...
Totally worth it. Or hit the highway loop at the pass and avoid the lift lines at Jackson

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1/7/2021
IMG_0634.jpeg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish I had a bunch of plans to travel this winter because I am suddenly super enamored of this travel backpack from Rocky Mountain Underground:
1611248625502.png

Expands to 50L in an airplane-space-maximizing way, stowable straps if you need to check, has a real hip belt unlike my current duffel.
1611248840563.png

Stowable mesh helmet carrier and room for ski boots inside.
1611249267292.png

I can get one for like half price and I'm pretty tempted...but realistically I have too many backpacks/duffels

I wish it had was a elastic mesh water bottle holder on the side (which my current bag doesn't have either)...generally just something that is nice to have in the airport.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have far far too many backpacks and duffel bags - it's a running joke with my wife - but I have to say that one looks pretty cool and has me thinking twice about buying another one. I almost never travel by plane to ski so as a result the bootbags I have are extremely crappy. I suppose I could argue that this provides net new capability but it's a capability that I'm unlikely to need frequently and I have far too many new and unused bags to begin with. So 50% chance I buy it lol.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even without boots, the design gives off good rolling suitcase vibes without being a roller...and I've mostly preferred to fly with a backpack/duffel rather than a roller lately.

My only worry is that there are complaints about the straps.

1. since they use hooks and manual straps rather than plastic pinch clips, people say it is a pain to open and close (especially since it is a design where the compression straps cross the zipper, so you have to undo them even for a quick open).
2. the backpack straps supposedly like to slip while you wear it. I would normally take that with a grain of salt and assume the reviewer is an idiot, but multiple people said it and the company has a video on their website showing you how to roll up the straps just right so they don't slip...decent strap hardware shouldn't slide without you rolling up the excess just right.

Also, it sounds like a little bit of outside-accessible organization would be nice...but I also hate when companies overdo it and you end up with 5 different useless pockets taking up space.

I love my climbing pack for that:
1611269407030.png
1611269882179.png

Big main duffel-style compartment that spreads open, stretch water bottle pockets, one zip pocket on the outside that is just big enough to hold a guidebook and a few other things, another zip pocket on the inside, and just enough straps to control the load and let you strap a rope to the outside if you need to.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice relaxed upper body form Bern

Reactions: otc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads