• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Skiing / Snowboarding / Playing in the Snow Thread

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Always been tempted to see what the fuss is about at deer valley, but I usually have a boarder in tow. Bet my fiance would like it.

Didn't care much for canyons... Very spread out without much verticality. The park city side felt more like a real mountain resort. Jupiter lift was fun. Still, I think that area's big selling point is convenience, proximity, and the town.

What about Powder Mountain? Heard good things, and they restrict same day sales to keep it uncrowded.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
If the snow is good I want to be where it's steep and deep, groomers are for firm days.

What about Powder Mountain? Heard good things, and they restrict same day sales to keep it uncrowded.

Other than the name I know nothing about it. I'll check it out.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the snow is good I want to be where it's steep and deep, groomers are for firm days.

Other than the name I know nothing about it. I'll check it out.
You going to road trip it or fly. I really want to get a few decent days in this season but the thought of dragging my crap on a plane sucks my enthusiasm. That leaves Bachelor , 9hrs or SLC, 12 hrs . Really getting lazy in my old age.:rolleyes:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Flying, for the same reason. I can’t be bothered to make a 12 hour drive. I’ll pay to check a large bag and I’ll demo skis on that end - I hate flying with skis.

I’m traveling Wednesday night to Saturday night to keep the price of the flight down.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wrapped a fun 2 days with Unf Jr at *****. Just me and the kiddo so no ski school and not super long days. Had a surprising amount of fun and one of our local friends met up for a few runs which was fun for the kid.

Spent more time at Solitude than anywhere else which was a nice change of pace. Shirley and ***** Creek are within reach!It’s amazing seeing the day to day improvement.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Flying to Jackson tomorrow. Think I'm gonna go with a full day lesson Sunday and then there is a chance of snow Sunday night/Monday day. Unfortunately no big dump in the forecast and everything will be pretty skied out, but they have a huge base.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll be there Thursday and I worry everything will be tracked out. Pretty sad, honestly.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Flying, for the same reason. I can’t be bothered to make a 12 hour drive. I’ll pay to check a large bag and I’ll demo skis on that end - I hate flying with skis.

I’m traveling Wednesday night to Saturday night to keep the price of the flight down.

If I had an open schedule, I'd definitely try to check out PowMow, but realistically unless there is fresh stuff coming, just go where your pass lets you go for free.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Schedule isn’t quite “drop everything and find the powpow” flexible. Wish it were!

My pass only works at my home mountain, but I may be able to work a pro deal. I’ll reach out to a couple of the resorts to see what they offer.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ll pay to check a large bag and I’ll demo skis on that end - I hate flying with skis.

Gotta join the douchebag lifestyle.
IMG_20200222_075915.jpg

That's me overpacked for 3 days of skiing, including helmet, jacket, boots, and 188cm skis. Just the douchebag, rolled to size, and a daypack for the plane.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, that is some aggressive packing. I've got my Douchebag (although I stupidly picked the cloud grey, which already looks like hell) - with two pairs of skis (190 Wildcats and 184 Fischer Ranger 102 FRs), helmet, and gear, a separate boot bag as a carry on (always carry your boots, in my view!), and then a wheeled carry on.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I did the boot thing for a while, but then I realized that my dad and I had checked boots for years without a problem... Pretty much all of my ski flights are nonstop so the risk is so small.

The douchebag has tons of room when you only have 1 pair in it, but I could probably fit another in with this combo if I had to. Clothes are mostly in packing cubes sitting along the skis.

I carry my helmet though because you never know if it will get a compromising impact when out of your sight.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, for me, the boot thing is often an issue when it comes to weight. I created a spreadsheet recently, but with two pairs of skis and bindings (my shifts are heavy, and my Tyrolia 16s on my Fischers are maybe even more heavy), I'm up to 38 lbs before adding my gear. To put it mildly, one pair of skis is a lot easier to travel with.

I am always connecting, which makes me concerned to have everything in one bag.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I created a spreadsheet recently,

That, in a nutshell, is why I don’t fly with my skis.

Pre-911 carrying your boots on the plane was a great way to transport a couple of bottles of wine.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather fly with my skis than rent. It is a necessary evil. I'm pretty picky when it comes to how my ski is tuned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads