• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Skiing / Snowboarding / Playing in the Snow Thread

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, other than the ease of access, I'd rather both ski and stay in telluride.

Hard to beat direct flights to Jackson from Chicago on full size planes followed by a short Uber into town, some lunch, and then public transit ride to the mountain... But staying at the resort kind of sucks. Place was dead at night, has no real groceries, and the restaurant experience was lacking (even though the places were mostly not full, service always took forever). Town is far enough away that it is annoying to head that way just for dinner (especially if taking the bus).

Telluride is a delightful little town. Getting there usually means flying to Montrose (sometimes with a stop in Denver) and taking a shuttle, but once you are there, you are set. Don't need a car, don't need a bus.

Maybe I'll make it back next year. My dad bummed a couple of seasons in telluride in the 70s and if he's feeling good, maybe a spring visit around his birthday would be nice (he had some brain surgery this past summer and seems to be coming back strong... Which is good because when we skied a few months before his problem was identified, it felt like he had lost several ability levels)

Haven't decided if I will do a pass again. Might do a $99 Mount Bohemia pass, use the 3 free days in Whitefish, and pay out of pocket if I want to ski anywhere else. I'll be done with my part time school then, so I have a more flexible schedule... Maybe do that adult freestyle camp in Switzerland or try for a Japan trip. But if my Denver friends were to switch to epic next year, I might join them for the telluride days.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
REI's running a big clearance with an extra 25% off clearance on a lot of stuff. Some pretty good deals to be had in the snow categories...lot of good pricing on Arcteryx stuff. Flylow Baker Bibs are at $220 in a full size run right now...those seem to be the cult-following snowpants of choice these days.

Sizing in a lot of items is limited...women's stuff seems to fare better (bought my fiance a new city parka as an early birthday precent), but the sale just started so stock is still pretty good.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ski buddy has been wearing this jacket and pants that blend into the trees for a few years.He's standing off to the side I can never see him. Well he bought a new blue jacket and every gaper on the mountain wears a blue jacket. I spent the last two days skiing up to total strangers

Reactions: otc

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gotta get the colored pants. Everybody else is in black.

Skied with a friend's brother who had red pants a few years ago and you could always tell who he was. When I needed new ones, I made sure to get a nice bright orange pair.

Don't get mine though...Spyder Bormio. They are real nice in theory: SF-friendly fit and a stretch goretex and all the features you want from a good ski pant, but the durability seems to be **** for actual aggressive ski use.

Had them warranty repaired after a few days on the snow when a seam started to open up in the knee...and am now up to 4 separate tenacious tape patches in various spots(that's where black is nice...the orange tape is not a close match to the pants)...and the stitching on a few more seams is coming out.

I'm going to assume that a lot of this is due to the stretch fabric not begin as burly as standard goretex lined nylon, but this is pretty awful for 3 seasons of just vacation use. Unacceptable for something that is sold as a $450 MSRP pant...I paid under $150 and I'm still not sure I will get a good value out of them.

Got like 15 years out of my prior pair of spyders (racer model with full side zips for boots-on removal...looks like their current "Tarantula") with only completely understandable and acceptable damage.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve only worn Arcteryx for last 15 or so seasons. Except for the DWR becoming less than desired in our marine effected conditions it still looks like new. Good stuff imo.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So...looks like Tahoe getting dumped on this weekend?

Anybody making an attempt?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So...looks like Tahoe getting dumped on this weekend?

Anybody making an attempt?
Had three good days this week . Heading up again Sunday nite/Monday depending on the QPF. Weekend gonna be a shitshow

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I cancelled SLC and am trying to decide what I think about Truckee / Tahoe for the weekend.

Backcountry is pretty effective for socially distancing so if I go I’m staying out of the resorts.

There’s a pretty good chance the resorts are going to start closing (Berkshire East in MA already has).

Reactions: otc

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've heard the denver resorts are feeling pretty empty.

Figure if you run 2 people per quad on opposite sides, you've got pretty good distance. Wear your longest skis to keep people away in the lines.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
In Tahoe on a storm weekend?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're wondering if you should go to Tahoe and when this weekend you probably shouldn't go. Either last year or year before last we had a storm Presidents Day weekend and CHP announced it faster to drive to Disneyland from Placerville than SLT. This storm won't really kick in until Saturday but it looks like doozy from then through Sunday night. 32 to 61 inches for that period.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Response to announcement that all Tahoe resorts are closed for the week
Today, 05:09 PM#1596
BGnight

Join DateJan 2009LocationRenoPosts1,256
Man, backcountry deaths will kill more people than the virus.
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alterra and Vail both shutting it down. Wouldn't be surprised to see a follow up that the shutdown is permanent for most.

Lots of small Eastern/Midwest using it as a convenient time to call it quits and let all of their workers go... Probably happy to do it rather than struggle through with the poor conditions this year.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Tahoe Donner Nordic is staying open, with a skeleton staff. I’ll go up once the storm breaks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads