• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

linardi168

Reaction score
Hi guys, i might need some help with my nubuck nike sneakers. I think i brushed them too hard after washing them, i used a brass brush like the one here

Here are the results :

What should i do? Is my sneakers completely destroyed or fixable? If fixable what are the correct tools to fix this? I’m considering on getting a suede eraser, sponge, & lotion to try and fix it. Should i get a new brush that’s finer than the one i have?

Thanks in advance

Lumaca

Reaction score
Hi guys, i might need some help with my nubuck nike sneakers. I think i brushed them too hard after washing them, i used a brass brush like the one here View attachment 1279520
Here are the results :
View attachment 1279531

What should i do? Is my sneakers completely destroyed or fixable? If fixable what are the correct tools to fix this? I’m considering on getting a suede eraser, sponge, & lotion to try and fix it. Should i get a new brush that’s finer than the one i have?

Thanks in advance

It's not that clear from the pics, but is your complaint that your NUBUCK part is "hairy"?

Because the whole purpose of the brass suede brush (or any suede product in general) is to raise the hair, so I'd say your nubuck is probably "suedified". Using more suede products is not gonna help.

linardi168

Reaction score
It's not that clear from the pics, but is your complaint that your NUBUCK part is "hairy"?

Because the whole purpose of the brass suede brush (or any suede product in general) is to raise the hair, so I'd say your nubuck is probably "suedified". Using more suede products is not gonna help.
I know, but i brushed too hard that i scratched the suede (first picture). It’s not supposed to look like that. Maybe sanding or using a razor blade can help?

SartorialTaste

Reaction score
From my POV there is way too much product being applied across the board. I only use colored polish if the existing polish appears to have lost some color or I have a ding to cover. For the most part, I keep my shoes conditioned with Bick 4, hit it with a brush when the conditioner is dry, and then buff it out with a flannel. Keeps them glowing. Occasionally -- and especially for shell cordovan -- I will use Venetian Shoe Creme (VSC) to add luster and to remove some surface grime as it has some very mild solvent qualities.
Thanks for the reply. They were my first GW shoes so I guess I didn't know how to polish them properly at first and might have applied way too much product.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to say, probably too many times, on here that it is best to use really small amounts of cream and polish. And renovators, too. I have fairly recently finished a jar of Saphir Renovateur that I have had for five years. I have quite a few pairs of shoes but do not find it necessary to use Renovateur very often. Brushing very regularly and the occasional application of a small amount of cream (and wax, if you like to) is mostly all you need. Keep it simple and your shoes will nearly always look good.

Also, note that cream doesn't have to be left on for very long. Have a look at the instructions on the jar and you will find that the manufacturer often suggests five to ten mins. I don't think that leaving cream (or wax) on, all day or all night, is going to make much difference. I have seen a clip on the net showing a high end shoe maker brushing off crean as almost as soon as he had put it on. He commented that, in the production line of shoe making, there is no time to leave polish on shoes before brushing them. And we are talking about a very high end company here.

With suede/nubuck shoes it is best to use a hog hair brush for brushing. Hog hair is tougher than horse hair but much less abrasive than the brass wire brushes. I wouldn't recommend the use of the latter. If you have brushed your suede or nubuck too much, don't compound the issue by brushing more and certainly don't consider sandpaper. Put it down to experience - or call it patination!
Very best wishes
Munky

Lumaca

Reaction score
I know, but i brushed too hard that i scratched the suede (first picture). It’s not supposed to look like that. Maybe sanding or using a razor blade can help?

Can't unscramble scrambled eggs I'm afraid... best you cand do is probably brush everything so it looks more uniform.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The edge on my Veldtschoen boots has gone light in colour and a bit rough in texture after a bit of wear in wet conditions.

is this just a case of needing an application of edge dressing or is there a better product?

up until now I have frequently put a coat of polish on the edge but this time it seems to be having little effect.

076227CD-E615-4DF5-BF60-E898FBBC332A.jpeg

greywhite&navy

Reaction score
Some suede care. My cousin bought the same pair of slippers as me but he is not a shoe care aficionado, so he has never gave them some care. Nothing. Not even brushing or using shoe trees. So when I posted last week how my shoes ended up after cleaning he asked me if I can clean his, so as a good shoe care aficionado I accepted. He thought they were ready to meet a new owner or the trash can. I told him he was crazy, I mean the lock stitch of the sole isn't even visible yet, they still have like 80% of their life. This is how they looked before:

3689699f3ed421e391126bc6568490b8d51e83e9.jpg

497fd0f36c61517348b70d56d5550bb9e44dfe49.jpg

b27f5203f584b6fa90e98bc8f0e46cae03798617.jpg

So, the first thing I did was to put in shoe trees and I left them one full day so they return a bit bacj to shape. Then after brushing with a boarwith brass bristle brush I proceeded to remove the stains of the toe with the gommadin. Most of them went out easily (which I think that a regular brush after wearing will prevent that) but I still thought they needed a deeper cleaning. So I used Omnidaim and left them to dry another day with the shoe trees in. After that, I used the crepe brush to bring up the nap again and saw some dark spots so tried with Gommadin to take them out and worked perfectly. Then brushed aain with the boar/brass bristle brush and applied suede renovateur.

After that, I let it dry 15 minutes and brushed again with the boar/brass bristle. Then applied Nano Protector so if he spills something on his shoe, it doesn't get stucked. Brushed again and this is the final result, what do you think?

0857e44772252cc890d0cefaffd0644d8a4c23c2.jpg

198b574ecc733f5e38dd7e77bcbab8b16ea7f370.jpg

d3687d6d582c29523cd430d2215f0a6dcf2f5318.jpg

af1c689f5382b033b0fe635a8ed11277e5fe8e5f.jpg
Looks amazing. Wish I could do that!

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to say, probably too many times, on here that it is best to use really small amounts of cream and polish. And renovators, too. I have fairly recently finished a jar of Saphir Renovateur that I have had for five years. I have quite a few pairs of shoes but do not find it necessary to use Renovateur very often. Brushing very regularly and the occasional application of a small amount of cream (and wax, if you like to) is mostly all you need. Keep it simple and your shoes will nearly always look good.

Also, note that cream doesn't have to be left on for very long. Have a look at the instructions on the jar and you will find that the manufacturer often suggests five to ten mins. I don't think that leaving cream (or wax) on, all day or all night, is going to make much difference. I have seen a clip on the net showing a high end shoe maker brushing off crean as almost as soon as he had put it on. He commented that, in the production line of shoe making, there is no time to leave polish on shoes before brushing them. And we are talking about a very high end company here.

With suede/nubuck shoes it is best to use a hog hair brush for brushing. Hog hair is tougher than horse hair but much less abrasive than the brass wire brushes. I wouldn't recommend the use of the latter. If you have brushed your suede or nubuck too much, don't compound the issue by brushing more and certainly don't consider sandpaper. Put it down to experience - or call it patination!
Very best wishes
Munky

I have a question about suede maintenance. After using Saphir Medaille D'Or Super Invulner Stain Protector or any other Water protector spray, do you brush your shoes?

Lot of people say that regular brushing of suede shoes is important. But if you apply these sprays, won't regular brushing take the water proofing chemicals off the surface faster ?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is probably best not to brush too frequently nor too hard. Similarly, I would only use protector spray occasionally, rather than very regularly and let it dry completely. With mine, I check for marks on the leather, before I wear them and brush those out, so that the surface looks even. I don't brush them before every outing and I use a hog hair brush. Best wishes, Munky.

thomas199023

Reaction score
A nightmare, only had these Sandro boots for a week. Bumped into something at grocery store, result a huge gash. ? never had this happen before with any shoes. Just my luck.

assuming this is even fixable, probably best to find a good cobbler?
Or try sanding it down myself, slightly and recolouring with Saphir?

06E076A0-E9F9-4A46-9594-745CE1275701.jpeg

Ruined my day ?.

Edit, just watched this Kirby Allison video , I have everything except the renovating cream, which I could order online. Should I try to fix it myself?

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd say that first, it's not a very good quality of leather in that counter. Just the way the leather has lacerated and 'peeled' a bit suggests it was cut from the margins of the hide.

Second, the leather itself was not 'dyed' in the sense that a liquid, penetrating dye is used before the topcoat is applied. In this case the leather appears to have just been given a 'paint job' and called good.

The upshot of all this is that whatever you do care is needed. If you sand the leather in an attempt to make it smooth, chances are good that it will only get deeper and rougher. And any kind of solvent based dye (the kind that should have been used at the tannery) has the possibility of lifting / affecting the paint around the scuff.

Best option is to find a reputable shoe repair and either purchase a can of spray 'dye' (paint) that matched the rest of the shoe or, perhaps, better, have the repairman refinish that area for you.

A small interjection of reality: Chances approach certainty that no matter what you do, it will never come all that close to looking like it did originally

thomas199023

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated! Alright, I'll find a decent cobbler locally!

Sad to hear the quality of the leather is that bad, luckily I bought these for a good price, but the original SRP is 515 USD

Luckily I only spent 10% of that, 'second hand, worn once', they def were almost new. Don't mind if it'll show a bit still, but would like to continue wearing these.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads