• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, do you think this can be recovered?

9CD2C8FC-FEE9-4457-9A24-8CEB36E82CAE.jpeg 400A4DFD-0A00-410D-9A49-16653AEA3E00.jpeg 11DD21D5-71A9-4374-AEAF-866C1DC0E1BA.jpeg 039938DF-0612-4581-AE96-2F1FE4AB5D6E.jpeg

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, they look beautiful to me. I would not do anything to them other than maintain them.
Agreed. I would call that patina and move on. Condition them, polish them and wear them in good health.

Thank you both for your input, it seems like water spots to me though.

yengli

Reaction score
Renovateur should put the shine on them. I had the same thing after i removed a poor attempt at mirror shine going a bit too wild on Renomat. Renovateur worked very well.

After I let them sit for awhile and applied renovateur, I’ve got the mirror shine on these shoes. Think that they were too wet to polish. Thanks for your reply it worked!

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One way to go is what @willyto & @Betelgeuse said.. and i agree .. after a good cleaning and with one or 2 coats of cream polish and 1-2 coats of wax polish these will look amazing.. will give that natural patina look..

but if if that is not ur style, u want to go for an even look and if ur upto it... then take some acetone. u will have to use it all over the shoe and is a bit time consuming. sometimes it takes an hour or so .. u need to get rid of all the factory finish.. strip it down .. then use a good cream polish to re colour. if u want u can use a dye too (needs some expertises)

willyto

Reaction score
Thank you both for your input, it seems like water spots to me though.
The problem with trying to fix this kind of colour differences as a result from getting shoes soaked is that you risk going into a rabbithole, removing the original finish, having to dye the shoes, etc I don't think it's worth it.

I remember @patrickBOOTH mentioning something about a mix of white vinegar and water for these cases but I don't know the particulars.

Alfargo

Reaction score
DB122E6A-73BB-40CE-917E-D3714FFE854B.jpeg
I think these are over for wearing, can you guys confirm for me? Or is there a way to clean, maybe send them back to Alden to replace the inside bed.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1263999
I think these are over for wearing, can you guys confirm for me? Or is there a way to clean, maybe send them back to Alden to replace the inside bed.

I personally would remove that heel sock and fit either a slim leather insert or a half insert.

Sending back to Alden might be an option but may be expensive.

Last edited:

lullemans72

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would like to seek some advice on a mirror shine that seemed to go wrong yesterday. Let me give you some quick background info:

Until now, I've always done my mirror shines using neutral Saphir Pate De Luxe which I have grown quite accustomed to. Recently, however, I bought myself a tin of neutral Saphir Mirror Gloss as I wanted to push myself a bit more and try something new.

After doing a mirror shine yesterday on my newly purchased shoes using a combination of the Mirror Gloss and the Pate De Luxe as outlined by Kirby Allison from the Hanger Project, I noticed this evening that there was already significant cracking on the sides of the shoes. I haven't seen this happen with any of my past mirror shines when I only used the Pate De Luxe. What could I have done wrong?

Before beginning with the mirror shine on these shoes, I'd already treated them with Renovateur, shoe cream and wax polish when they came out of the box. Then yesterday evening, I gave them another light layer of cream polish, followed by one coat of Pate De Luxe. After that, I began the real mirror shine process by adding several layers of Mirror gloss, droplets of water, interspersed with small amounts of Pate De Luxe.

As always, your feedback is highly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20191028_214453.jpg
    IMG_20191028_214453.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20191028_214409.jpg
    IMG_20191028_214409.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 97

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would like to seek some advice on a mirror shine that seemed to go wrong yesterday. Let me give you some quick background info:

Until now, I've always done my mirror shines using neutral Saphir Pate De Luxe which I have grown quite accustomed to. Recently, however, I bought myself a tin of neutral Saphir Mirror Gloss as I wanted to push myself a bit more and try something new.

After doing a mirror shine yesterday on my newly purchased shoes using a combination of the Mirror Gloss and the Pate De Luxe as outlined by Kirby Allison from the Hanger Project, I noticed this evening that there was already significant cracking on the sides of the shoes. I haven't seen this happen with any of my past mirror shines when I only used the Pate De Luxe. What could I have done wrong?

Before beginning with the mirror shine on these shoes, I'd already treated them with Renovateur, shoe cream and wax polish when they came out of the box. Then yesterday evening, I gave them another light layer of cream polish, followed by one coat of Pate De Luxe. After that, I began the real mirror shine process by adding several layers of Mirror gloss, droplets of water, interspersed with small amounts of Pate De Luxe.

As always, your feedback is highly appreciated.
I think it may be that you already have too much wax on the shoe. Can't say for sure if the shoe is bending a it right there but maybe it's time to get it off and start again and leave it just before it hit those creases.

lullemans72

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, guys.
You know, I didn't think of this of a possibility at all, but I think you might be right about the flexing point. I just went back, tried on the shoes again and noticed that the flexing point does indeed seem to be just around the broguing of the cap.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad, as the shoe seems to otherwise fit me fine. But the flexing point with all my other shoes has always been higher up, between the vamp and the broguing and not on the broguing itself...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads