• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My dad isn’t the biggest shoe care aficionado and he tends to use a lot of cream and wax, so they look kinda dull. I used a boar bristle brush and then a horsehair brush and with all the cream and wax that they had, the shine came up. But I offered hi to clean this Santoni Oxfords I gave to him. I just mirror shined the tip of the cap toe and not all the captor so he can maintain it easier Some pics:

Before:

B457654B-48CF-4A95-AF19-111C671E6817.jpeg

BD4E1AD3-235B-4F65-BB95-36947BC4CF15.jpeg

After:

79346614-AE14-47E6-B685-2FD9DDB431EA.jpeg

1077D1FD-8633-4E9C-B967-3F530F988168.jpeg

616FA071-EBDE-4384-A4C2-E62A72688007.jpeg

8322E21F-E50F-4266-A0EF-77496A953E08.jpeg

368BC0B5-00E4-4A46-8317-5F89E71C90A7.jpeg

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DWFII Hello DW, I am about to buy a pair of shoes made of Kudu Original leather - leather that is manufactured by CF Stead, here in the UK. Have you used this, yourself and from what is it made? I would be surprised if it was made from Kudu hide. Any comments you have about this product. including caring for it, would be welcome. I have found only ambiguous views on the net and appreciate your expert view. With very best wishes, Munky.

Edit to above. I have just found, on Stead's page, the following: "The 2000s saw Steads begin to apply its tanning expertise to a range of skins from the antelope family, the first of which was Kudu. Working closely with people in several African countries to the benefit of local communities, C. F. Stead are able to obtain skins generated in the annual wild antelope cull, and utilize the natural blemishes (cuts and grazes caused by the environment they live in) to make a unique product which has a combination of softness and strength without two skins being the same." Perhaps this answers my main question to you but I would welcome your comments. M.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Munky,

I have used Kudu but can't say I am fond of it--it looked a little artificial to me. But there are any number of tanning methods and consequently any number of looks and feels that kudu could come with.

If I'm not mistaken, @bengal-stripe had shoes made of it and liked it. IIRC, they didn't look anything like the leather I was acquainted with.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, DW, that is helpful. Best wishes, M.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Working for the online shoes and shoe care retailer Skolyx, one of the most common questions we get is which colour of shoe cream and wax to use for a specific pair of shoes. To give the best possible guidance (although we, as most here know, don't state that you have to use a colour that matches perfectly), we've made a substantial guide to all the colours of the Saphir Medaille d´Or that we offer, along with a list of the closest colour to many of the most common brand's of welted shoes leather shades. Check it out in full here on our website. Below a few of the pics from the guide:

2P7A4733 (kopia).jpg

Here all colours we offer of Saphir Medaille d'Or Crème Pommadier shoe cream and shoes in similar colours.
From 12 o'clock: Light brown, Medium Brown, Havana, Parisian Brown, Dark Brown, Black, Neutral, Navy, Burgundy, Hermés Red, Mahogany, Cognac.

2P7A4759 (kopia).jpg

Same type of image with Pate de Lux wax polish.
From 12 o'clock: Yellow, Medium brown, Havana, Dark Brown, Black, Neutral, Navy, Burgundy, Mahogany, Cognac, Light brown.

Then we have this type of images of all colours, along with text descriptions:
2P7A4811 (kopia).jpg

Last edited:

russia22

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this? These shoes are about a month old. Used Saphir Md’Or cognac polish yesterday and it left a dark spot. Rest of shoe is fine...

Attachments

• 5A518183-28BE-42F8-B885-A8F1B38C2FEB.jpeg
    5A518183-28BE-42F8-B885-A8F1B38C2FEB.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 293

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this? These shoes are about a month old. Used Saphir Md’Or cognac polish yesterday and it left a dark spot. Rest of shoe is fine...

Lots of brushing and a bit of wear probably.

I wouldn’t try using any products to try and remove it. Would likely make it worse.

I’m fairly sure this will fade with a bit of time.

Was it cream or wax polish?

Caleb Malinowski

Reaction score
Hi Guys! Have not posted on this thread before but wanted to get in on it.
A little background, I competed in the 2019 World Championship in Shoe Shining. I now work for Kirby Allison at the Hanger Project and we recently launched our mail-in shoe shine service in the US and did a cool promo video that I think y'all will like.
Enjoy!
-CalebMali

chiggyv

Reaction score

one of the most interesting videos i have seen recently in regards to shoe care..

I just wish i understood the language and what was written

"Plasma Air Wash"

The Japanese are just on another ******* wavelength.

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for the material that can be used to fill in gouges in leather. I cannot remember the name of it.

Here’s an example of some of the gouges I would like to repair.

911826DF-63C3-42F6-BD14-66615BD4FB34.jpeg

I’d like to dye these afterwards, and also wanted to know how well that material will take dye.

Caleb Malinowski

Reaction score
I’m looking for the material that can be used to fill in gouges in leather. I cannot remember the name of it.

Here’s an example of some of the gouges I would like to repair.

View attachment 1224126

I’d like to dye these afterwards, and also wanted to know how well that material will take dye.

Hi Man,
I would use Saphir Renovating Repair Cream to fill the gouges, then use the Saphir Juvacuir to recolor the toe. Hopefully, that helps ;)
-Caleb

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads