• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

surrender

Reaction score
Hi all, I could use some advice on dealing with scratches on the toe of my Our Legacy penny loafer. I gave it a coat of Renovateur and then Saphir cognac cream, but it still looks pretty bad. Do you guys have any recommendations for making it look better? Worst case scenario, Bedo's is a few miles away, so I can take it there if needed

Attachments

• IMG_0264.JPG
    IMG_0264.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 84

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I could use some advice on dealing with scratches on the toe of my Our Legacy penny loafer. I gave it a coat of Renovateur and then Saphir cognac cream, but it still looks pretty bad. Do you guys have any recommendations for making it look better? Worst case scenario, Bedo's is a few miles away, so I can take it there if needed

IMO it's going to require sanding and recoloring. Can be done if you don't mind a darker color on the toe or overall, but if you want it to stay that caramel color, it's best left to pros. If Bedos is so close, take it to him! Just make sure to specify whether or not you want a patina or a darker toe, he tends to take some liberties with darker toes.

Typiper

Reaction score
All-

I’m fairly new to the suede world, in terms of care and maintenance. I have these JCrew chukkas from a few seasons ago, and am wondering what (if anything) I should do to get them up-to-date, so to speak. Thanks for any help or advice. It is very much appreciated.

1C975F83-6BFC-4A01-AFBC-01CC3AFF5F98.jpeg
AEF46628-FEDC-4E46-B687-01A44EAF806C.jpeg
78D65739-5AE1-4645-9D0D-B92CDE318433.jpeg

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i agree sanding and recolouring will help. but u can't try giving it a few good layers of wax. maybe go in with a mirror shine with a dark brown or black.. will give a shoe a good patin a look (if u don mind that) and it may be able to cover up the scratches..

if all else fails, take it to a cobbler and get it sanded

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jamesnyc

Reaction score
Which one do you guys recommend between putting 'flush metal toe tap' vs. 'sole guard' (thin protective rubber layer on the single leather sole)?

Since my toe of my oxford shoes worn out quickly, I would like to install something to protect. I heard that people usually install either one of them.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW...neither will protect your toe cap.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, The toe cap is a distinct piece of leather over the top of the toe of the shoe. It has nothing to do with the outsole.

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know!

Hi James, I think most of us knew what you meant, but yeah I believe what you are referring to are sometimes called metal toe plates. I know on the Carmina site they use the terminology you are using here, which as others have said is not I believe the correct term.

When, I’ve talked with cobblers the term I use is “Lulu” metal toe plates, and that seems to be the term they use. Not sure if that is the correct terminology, but it’s what I use when getting them installed on my leather soled shoes.

Kobletas

Reaction score
Then could you suggest me other way to protect the toe?

I've had this issue for quite some time, here's what experience taught me:

1) Single leather soles always perform better than double leather soles in regards to toe wear.
2) No matter how much your toe wear seems to be in the first few wears of your shoes, it will stop at a certain point eventually and then the sole will start to wear evenly all around.
3) A row or two of brass nails in the toe area of your sole will somewhat slow the wear plus you don't get to sacrifice the comfort and breathability that only a full leather sole can provide.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys pedantic, geez...

@jamesnyc imo a toe tap would be the best route for you to protect the toe areas of your soles. A rubber half sole won't necessarily be as durable since the problem is concentrated at the toe area.

You can go about this in one of two ways. A flush metal cap (which involves the removal of a layer or two of leather) or a plastic cap (which is hammered on top of the existing sole). Talk you your cobbler about what is right for you :)

jamesnyc

Reaction score
I've had this issue for quite some time, here's what experience taught me:

1) Single leather soles always perform better than double leather soles in regards to toe wear.
2) No matter how much your toe wear seems to be in the first few wears of your shoes, it will stop at a certain point eventually and then the sole will start to wear evenly all around.
3) A row or two of brass nails in the toe area of your sole will somewhat slow the wear plus you don't get to sacrifice the comfort and breathability that only a full leather sole can provide.
You guys pedantic, geez...

@jamesnyc imo a toe tap would be the best route for you to protect the toe areas of your soles. A rubber half sole won't necessarily be as durable since the problem is concentrated at the toe area.

You can go about this in one of two ways. A flush metal cap (which involves the removal of a layer or two of leather) or a plastic cap (which is hammered on top of the existing sole). Talk you your cobbler about what is right for you :)

Guys, thank you so much for advice. I will go for the flush metal toe tap on my dress shoes. Just want to get some more idea, I have one loafer that has relatively thin leather sole, in this case, is it okay to apply metal toe tap or should I apply half rubber sole? (I assume that it won't be matter though)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads